Author Topic: I'll fight the yaw...and it won't win!  (Read 16203 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I'll fight the yaw...and it won't win!
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »
^ you need to ALSO have your upper hand out there well above the blade. And pull the blade towards the rail way up front where the catch is. Not just anywhere along the rail.

Have someone show you, or correct you. What you're saying doesn't make sense nor does it have anything to do with hard rails.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 03:44:05 PM »
Are you also angling the blade slightly? If you weight on the outside with those rails you will turn in the direction you described!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2016, 08:56:36 AM »
^ you need to ALSO have your upper hand out there well above the blade. And pull the blade towards the rail way up front where the catch is. Not just anywhere along the rail.

+1   That's another little detail I noticed I was lazy about that led to all the yawing.  I found it's a matter of inches.  It may have felt like I was getting my upper hand out, but I wasn't and that kept the paddle angled which made every stroke a turn.

As my yawmasters have instructed me, I try to visualize planting out away from the board and finishing the stroke with the blade under my feet.  Given the habit I had it felt like I was almost pulling in perpendicular to the rail, but everything feels exaggerated.   Now that I'm doing it better I can see how just a little bit of angle at the catch can pull the nose any direction I want it. 
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »
+1 Bulky. Gotta have it straight. Practicing just your catch a la Larry Cain is a great way to clean it up.

As in the slow is fast thread splashing, cavitation makes you slow and IMO very hard to go straight. Also the over reach phenomenon makes for a less stable and more yawing experience..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
Little thread resurrection here, because we had a little local race here and I really saw my work over the past year come into play.  Recognized a guy who's always finished just a bit ahead of me.  Nice guy but the competitor in me always felt I should be beating him.  Felt really good about how I started the race and was pacing myself well before the turn when he came up alongside and then probably got about 30yds ahead of me.  Kept a steady cadence and concentrated on my course as we headed home.  Started reeling him in and, as I got closer, noticed how much his yawing and my ability to hold a straighter course made a difference.  Because he kept going from side to side, I was able to easily close the last of the gap and then go by.  Probably finished a couple hundred yds in front of him.

Pleased with my track.  Wish each of my workouts was as straight but I enjoy letting my mind wander a bit.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »
Way to go Bulky!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »
 :)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 11:30:02 PM »
Great job, Bulky!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal