Author Topic: Isle VS tower  (Read 8609 times)

golan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Isle VS tower
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
Hi Everybody :) I would like to buy inflatable SUP. I have very limited experience with SUP in general. I want to choose between ISLE or TOWER sup, there is the 11′ ISLE Inflatable Explorer ( https://www.islesurfandsup.com/stand-up-paddle-boards/11-explorer-airtech-inflatable-paddle-board/ ) and the Tower Adventurer 2" iSUP Package - 10'4" ( http://www.towerpaddleboards.com/iSUP-p/bd-twr-2adv2-pkg.htm ) , I really don't know which is the best for me. I am intending to use it on the ocean means choppy water. I am about 200LBS (90 Kg) and 5' 9" (175cm) tall, I would like to be stable enough, as well not too big sup :). Can any expert here help me with it?

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Isle VS tower
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »
I'm no true expert, but I know a thing or two about iSUPs. I checked out both boards and IMO the Isle Explorer (link is down) is a much better set-up for the money. I like that it has more tie-down options and the bright yellow logos and markings gives it better visibility (and it just looks cooler). It also comes with a much better pump.
Both boards are of the same build quality (most likely from the same factory). What's also good is they're both 6" thick, which is ideal for added rigidity and stability. The extra 8" of length on the Isle is nice for some additional stability, and even some added room if you have a lot of gear tied down.
Note that if you're going into sharky waters, I'd think twice about getting an inflatable. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:24:48 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

golan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »
Thanks. You helped alot:), and for the sharks,  no sharks, just jelly fish:)

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 02:43:27 PM »
I paddled several inflatables before getting two for me and my girlfiend, i ncluding the tower. 

I ended up going with a isle explorer for one, and have several hours on it now.  In the chop you are going to notice the flex, at 200 lbs you are going to notice the flex on every inflatable, I know this because I'm 185.  Keep it at 15 and make sure it is at 15 after you put it in the water for a few minutes, or pump it up to 16-17 like I do, we paddle on the lake, water temps are about 50 right now.

But the extra bit of length on the isle over the tower helps with the glide wich isn't much on inflatables to start with and really like the SS d-rings everywhere, handles and fin set up.  the tower is pretty plain, but comes with a better paddle, and they are rigid, maybe even a very little bit more rigid, although the redpaddle is probably the most rigid I have been on, it also paddles lilke a barge.

The other board I bought is a GUSU touring, 12-foot single fin with tie downs on front only.  I wanted a board bad for a weekend in early march and there is only one guy in town that had boards to sell.  decent enough board and I did not pay retail, it does cruise/glide a bit better than the isle, but that is about the only plus, it will soon be the friend board.

If you get the isle you will want ot order a paddle also and the carbon travel paddles are pretty good for the money, the aluminum paddle shaped object that comes in the box makes a fine flag pole, curtain hanger, coat rack, anything but a useable paddle. 

Other inflatables I have paddled, SOL, which I have a very low opinion of, YOLO touring, love those although narrower than the gusu and isle, they were out of them when I was ready to pull the trigger and a few hundo more.  The isle touring is not a bad one either but those are really getting up there in weight for an inflatable.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 03:01:57 PM »
the isle carbon fiber paddle is a no brainer with any of their SUPs for 90 bucks extra.  I have two as spare / loaner paddles from Isle sups long since gone.

Trout_Creek_Outdoors

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Board and Kayak Life
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
Yeah, I would definitely take the ISLE over the Tower as well specifically because there are no tie downs with the Tower board and no real way to mount them yourself.

One thing to consider, however, is that Tower boards have a higher weight capacity, so if that's a factor for you, that might tip the scales in favor of Tower which, performance-wise, isn't a bad board. It's just not as feature rich as the ISLE.

If you'd like more info, you can check out this review I wrote here: http://boardandkayaklife.com/best-isup-inflatable-paddle-board/
Paddle On!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM