Author Topic: 12'-6" Round Two  (Read 20824 times)

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12'-6" Round Two
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2016, 08:31:51 AM »
Yesterday I ground down the Bahne box and laminated the bottom with some 7.5 oz 'mystery' cloth using the floor of the garage as an improvised wet-out table. I decided to try this rather than trying to cobble something together in the house. Since I am using RR Kwik Kick I needed to work pretty fast to get 13 feet of heavy cloth wetted and on the board.

It went fine, especially for a first time and solo on a big board. I got some extra bits of litter (sawdust, EPS beads) in the mix but was able to pick most of them out. I think my cloth to resin ratio was pretty good and that the fibers looked better 'wetted' than the hand lams last year.

Things would have been easier had I not trimmed the cloth. I am low on resin so I decided to conserve resin by reducing extra cloth. I had to pull off and situate the nose a couple times before I had cloth on both lap lines. I also got a couple 'prints' from the ink on the PVC drain pipe. By the time I got the nose in position I was about out of working time. Next time I'll leave a larger useful margin

I need to make a plan for the top to deal with the standing area and heavy cloth.

I was going to grind off the lap today out in the driveway but a storm came in right after I had the board in my new and improved SUP rail racks that I made from my 'small board' glassing stands. The gray padding is some surplus store EVA with super sticky PSA, less than 3 dollars for both stands.

As the rain started I drug the board back inside. As I flipped it onto the sawhorses I noticed the 'super stringy' standing about 16 inches tall. In that same pic is one of the plug holes I am using as a vent until the real ones arrive.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2016, 06:28:01 AM »
I really like grind laps now, thanks for the tip!

-Blue painters' tape, 2 layers. First to hold on the paper and establish the 'line', second layer lapped 1/16" towards the paper.
-7" sander, hard backer, 80 grit disk, somewhere between slow and medium speed.

I used a little 233+ tape on the tail, no real difference in performance during grinding.

I did one slow-ish pass to cut the lap and finished with another quick pass to clean & blend the line. I worked so the sander was sweeping from the glass to the tape. I wore my safety glasses and dust mask, which was good as there was plenty of material coming off the sander and flying through the air.

Did I mention I really like grind laps now?

Be safe, have fun. -J

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2016, 11:48:59 AM »
👍🏻

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2016, 08:14:15 PM »
Thanks SUPFlorida.

I added a little cloth to the nose over a soft spot and installed 9 10 plugs, 2 with membrane vents.

All seemed OK until I realized the first 4 plugs were installed using only a half-load of hardener...pulled them out, sopped out the resin+spheres+cabosil+tint mix with paper towels, wiped off the inserts, sloshed the holes with some raw hardener, and went for a second mix attempt trying to remember that 45% of 20g is 9g and not 4.5g...everything seems to be setting up so I hope I am in the clear.

I am thinking about doing the top cloth as a 60" piece wide wrapping from bottom to pan to bottom, then overlapping a nose and tail piece 2-3" onto the first piece. That way I don't have to fight working time and the geometry of the deck pan.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:37:58 PM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2016, 08:57:38 PM »
Nice looking work.

Looks like you're following directions and using 45 of hardener to 100 of resin by weight for system 21. I find that 100 to 50 by weight works better.  I was getting some soft spots previously that cleared up completely when I tweaked the ratios. I did samples with increments from 46 to 55 and found 50 gave me the most consistently hard finish. 45 had soft spots no matter how carefully I mixed. 55 had a sticky surface after curing.

I never mix by volume--too inconsistent for my amateur efforts. I weighed five samples of resin that I poured to the same level in small graduated waxed cups, then weighed them. I had a 4 percent variation in weight of cups that looked very close to me. I also weighed mixed cups with resin and hardener measured separately and poured together, scraping the hardener into the resin  with a smooth stick. Five percent variation in total weight. I think a little parallax screws accuracy more than I would have thought.

So yeah, I just weigh it. Got one of those little West scales--it's great

I wash down new PVC pipe with acetone to get the ink off. 8" pipe is da kine. I have an eight-inch mailing tube that's even better though. Successive uses have layered on lots of epoxy, but it has more grip than PVC, so you can pull against the cloth a little to shift it without any chance of it rotating around on the pipe.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:02:12 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2016, 05:57:52 AM »
I follow your reasoning on putting the deck glass in three pieces to make it easier. I do however have the this concern...

Depending on where, an how you will be using the board...the pan you have beefed up in the standing area is already introduced two stress points from a longitudinal perspective because it is close to straight across (from rail to rail perspective) at the front and rear of the pan...by lapping the joint very near the same place, it can exaggerate that effect.

Next board you may want to taper out the pan (in plan view perspective). I'm sure you know that from building surfboards, as deck patches always taper on front & back for the same reason.

The curled lip on the tray (in and of itself) in an SUP deck is tending to make a stiff "hard spot" even if the laminate ran continuous from nose to tail. In the surf zone it could amount to a "dotted line" to break at.

The pan area is stiffer and stronger.... when the deck is put in compression or tension longitudinally, it is at this abrupt transition where a laminate will fail first. Maybe widening the lap could help the transition from pan to deck. Even take the pan piece and cut it at a 45-50 angle (in relation to the centerline) coming out of the pan and onto the deck & tail ...over the top of the previously placed nose and tail pieces. Anything to spread the load.

I would be extra careful about feathering in at the two laps as it would be super easy to weaken the deck while trying to get everything fair. Be prepared for it to take a little more work, and filler to blend those two laps so they don't show in the final product.

If it's only going to be used in flat water it will probably never be an issue, but you may want to think about modifying the deck pan shape on the next build.

On another note...What route are you taking finish wise? Clear...paint... ?

Your boards comming along nicely. Looking really good...You will be enjoying it on the water in no time😎Can't wait to here the good reviews! 

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
Thanks Guys!

Resin is Resin Research Kwik Kick. I am a big fan of scales and recycled containers. The thing I forgot to do was write my container's empty weight and the batch size on the container like I do for the big batches. Then I am just following the recipe instead of doing math on the fly.

Yeah, the pan to board transitions are not well thought-out on this one. I have a small piece of Vectornet that I could cut into a triangle for each end of the pan and lay that down under the cloth. I could also/instead put the next cloth at 45 degrees and have the laps be angled as well.

Board is for flat water up to a couple feet, so not so much worried about being caught by a heavy wave.

As far as finish, I might ride it in fill coat for a while (running out of summer) and then paint it in the fall. Between the glue lines and other workmanship issues, this one is certainly not going to be a clear-coated 'looker'. I have thought about an overall light pearl color with some rally stripes or ??? above the waterline and leaving the bottom plain for easy repairs.

Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »
I worked on the top today. I got some extra Vector Net from a supplier so I used the extra on this board. My sharpest scissors had all they could do to cut this stuff. Not the prettiest or most structural application but it will remind me to consider those areas of the design next time.

I put the logo and the net down with a small batch of epoxy and let them sit until 90% of the sticky was gone. Rolled out cloth and used a bit more this time to allow for misalignment. Weighted the drops and calculated the weight of the 1 big piece cut cloth. I did the resin in 3 batches: pan just short of rails plus a little nose and tail, nose and rail to front of pan, rest of rail and tail. The mystery cloth had some dirty streaks and a few snags but it's on and I am done for the day. 3 time 363 grams (250r+113h) to hold down 974g of 7.5 oz and another 29g mixed to tack the 9g of Vector Net and logo.
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
Getting back to this after doing some other projects.
I got the 2nd fill coat on the deck tonight.
After this it's traction, handle, and finally some paddling.

I had a little fun with an industrial laser making custom tape to keep the resin out of the plugs. I like to pull the tape off while the resin is soft enough to reseal after the tape is gone. So I tried to figure out a tab and slot to give myself a handle. The membrane vents got little snorkels.
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »
I got the board rigged and out to the lake. It seems too early to judge but I am glad it's this far.

Remember, as I forgot, to test fit the fins before you take it out the first time- to insure that the boxes are opened properly and that any homemade fins are not too tight for the slot...

I had one of those multi-tool type pliers in the car. The saw blade made quick work on the box but the fin was really too tight to have brought along. So I wedged in in best I could and paddled around for a while.

I am thinking maybe a little too much tail rocker? I need to take a few more rides and see.

Thanks again for all the advice and following the build.

Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »
Looks good. That rocker will be your friend when it's really choppy or out in open waters. Flat water speed will be lower.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

rrnkp

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
Nice job J.  How much rocker did you use?

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »
Thanks RR
Nose rocker is 2.5" , zero apex 71 1/8" from tail, and tail is 2" to make a 104 ' 7 " radius.
Board thickness pre-shaped was 7" nose, 6 9/16" apex, and 4 13/32" tail to make a 180' 2 "radius.
How's that?
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2016, 05:39:42 AM »
I met up with my buddy. What was to be a race ended up being a casual paddle upstream and a lazy float downstream with glassy water and pleasant temps for early fall in the Midwest.

Pic of the two boards together:
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal