Author Topic: Pop Paddleboards Americana  (Read 9812 times)

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pop Paddleboards Americana
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:12:51 PM »
My new touring board is being delivered tomorrow.
http://poppaddleboards.com/shop/120-americana-green-cream-orange/

I just checked and it is at the freight companies Houston facility as I type.

If I can delete enough pics off my phone I'll try and make an unboxing video. Then again, I'd probably have to edit that and I've never done that either. I will at least post good pictures of the board from different views/angles.

I'll be able to take it out either Thursday or Friday morning to try it out for the first time. Flatwater paddling is why I bought this board. Customer service from the company has been great as far as communication. Fast to reply to email or they might just call you back which they did in my case.

Always nice when you can get the company to speak with you directly and answer your questions.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Pop Paddleboards Americana
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:23:51 AM »
Nice looking paddleboard. I'll be looking forward to viewing your unboxing video and a look at your pictures of it.

I know that you're excited about getting it. Since I've ordered another paddleboard, I'll be looking forward when I get the call from my freight company in July or August.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 01:20:50 PM »
Here are some pictures to start. I'm trying to edit video for the first time, so that might come later.

It really is a great looking board. Feel of everything is quality. Their handle is really comfortable making it really easy to carry.

Their website says all boards come with an a carbon paddle. There was no paddle in the box or no second box, so I've emailed them to get an answer on that. I only have one paddle and one other board, so in order for me to take both boards out with the family, I'm going to need a second one.. and hey... free is always nice.

There is also some confusion on the website. They list the board at 12' but in some of the descriptions they say it is 12'6". Of course I measured and it is 12' even. That was what I was expecting. If it had come in at 12'6" I would have been happy, but I was good either way.

I had already ordered some RSPro, but after looking at the rails, I need to get the larger size, so I'll be switching that upon return. It is already stored on the new rack in the garage with my all around board.

I should have it out on the water either tomorrow or the next day. I'll update at that point.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:50:18 PM »
It looks like a real nice paddleboard. I know you want to get out and paddle it as soon as you can. Congrats on your new addition. BTW, what length is the fin?
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
Here is a relatively newbie question...

Do you measure the fin from the bottom of the board straight up to the highest point of the fin? Or measure it along the angle from base to tip?

Once I know that I can answer your question accurately! I can say it is a longer fin and I might look to have a slightly smaller one for certain areas around here.

Also I just like trying out different setups.

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »
Great looking board!  I saw one of these boards on my local craigslist, but it was an inflatable model. I had to wonder if 'Pop' was the best name to go with.   

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »
Great looking board!  I saw one of these boards on my local craigslist, but it was an inflatable model. I had to wonder if 'Pop' was the best name to go with.

Ha... I didn't think of that in regard to their inflatables. It is kind of like the Chevy Nova in Spanish.... No Go.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »
It looks like a real nice paddleboard. I know you want to get out and paddle it as soon as you can. Congrats on your new addition. BTW, what length is the fin?

Measuring from the bottom of the board to the tip of the fin it is 12".

It looks really big. I think most of the touring boards I've seen were generally a 9" or 10" fin.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 08:07:41 AM »
I was able to get out yesterday.

She's a very stable touring board. Certainly cuts through the water better than my all around.

Now I don't have any high level touring board experience to compare it to, but I'm happy with the way it performed. I'm still not the best paddler and need to get a lot better with technique and build up speed, but this board should allow me to improve, while keeping me dry when I want to be.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »
I can't find many reviews on Pop boards.  They seem pretty good, at a decent price.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
That fin is ridiculous.  Pick up a FCS plastic SUP Touring fin.  A great fin for very little money.  I prefer the snap-in FCS II version.

Here's a review link, but don't believe the pricing.  Stateside they run about $25 and $30 for the FCS II version.

https://www.supboardermag.com/2016/05/12/fcs-ii-fin-system-review-screwdriver-not-required/][url]https://www.supboardermag.com/2016/05/12/fcs-ii-fin-system-review-screwdriver-not-required/[/url]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:49:06 AM by baddog »

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
That fin is ridiculous.  Pick up a FCS plastic SUP Touring fin.  A great fin for very little money.  I prefer the snap-in FCS II version.

Here's a review link, but don't believe the pricing.  Stateside they run about $25 and $30 for the FCS II version.

[url]https://www.supboardermag.com/2016/05/12/fcs-ii-fin-system-review-screwdriver-not-required/]https://www.supboardermag.com/2016/05/12/fcs-ii-fin-system-review-screwdriver-not-required/][url]https://www.supboardermag.com/2016/05/12/fcs-ii-fin-system-review-screwdriver-not-required/[/url]

Yeah, today I went out and used the 9" fin from my all around board.

I'll check out the FCS II. Thanks!

sxrracer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »

Here are some pictures to start. I'm trying to edit video for the first time, so that might come later.

It really is a great looking board. Feel of everything is quality. Their handle is really comfortable making it really easy to carry.

Their website says all boards come with an a carbon paddle. There was no paddle in the box or no second box, so I've emailed them to get an answer on that. I only have one paddle and one other board, so in order for me to take both boards out with the family, I'm going to need a second one.. and hey... free is always nice.

There is also some confusion on the website. They list the board at 12' but in some of the descriptions they say it is 12'6". Of course I measured and it is 12' even. That was what I was expecting. If it had come in at 12'6" I would have been happy, but I was good either way.

I had already ordered some RSPro, but after looking at the rails, I need to get the larger size, so I'll be switching that upon return. It is already stored on the new rack in the garage with my all around board.

I should have it out on the water either tomorrow or the next day. I'll update at that point.

Are you sending the RSPRO you ordered back? What size.  May be interested it it if you are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 08:58:42 PM »

Are you sending the RSPRO you ordered back? What size.  May be interested it it if you are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sorry, I sent it back yesterday. It was the standard, 75" x 2.5"

I applied the jumbo today. It went on great. Zero problems and very few small air bubbles.

That is a really great product. I left it out in the warm garage overnight and today when I went to put it on it was super pliable.

The board was even better today on the water which was a bit choppy. That is really where I can see a difference between it and the all around board I have.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:01:19 PM by ford »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal