Author Topic: The More Things Change. Gerry Lopez and Uluwatu  (Read 5403 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The More Things Change. Gerry Lopez and Uluwatu
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 08:40:21 PM »
I gotta catch this.

But we on here all know the unsung pioneers of that wave.

It's been on my bucket list since I read Gerry and Headmount's books. I've committed myself to learning to surf prone specifically for Bali and Fiji. Seeing Gerry do it at his age is inspiring.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 07:25:19 PM »
Looks fantastic,  thanks for sharing.   Looks like I missed a local screening, I hope they have more or find a distributor
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
The biggest shock I got at Uluwatu was how sharp the reef is, seem like I cut myself just looking at it.  Beautiful place, would love to go back.

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »
Bummer, was hoping to see some footage of him SUPing it. I think that's what he's mainly doing these days?

> The biggest shock I got at Uluwatu was how sharp the reef is, seem like I cut myself just looking at it.  Beautiful place, would love to go back.

Amen, that was a huge shock for me too. All the breaks around there, just brutally shallow reef break. I was thoroughly not used to that when I arrived. I'd love to go back with a SUP though since the other big factor, the obnoxiously aggressive crowds of semi pro Australian surfers, would be so easy to avoid now. Just paddle a little farther down the point. At Ulu for example, just a little bit farther to the left/south under the Temple gets to the place that I had the single best day of surfing in my life. Would loooove to try that on a SUP.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:31:12 PM »
the obnoxiously aggressive crowds of semi pro Australian surfers

Yep.  I noticed that also, and in Fiji to.  Seemed like they were all competing for a shot at the WCT, and even more so when I opened my mouth and they realized I was from California.  Has me reluctant to visit Australia, a whole continent of that vibe would probably feel overwhelming and sad, I empathize with what the aboriginal people went through.

At Ulu for example, just a little bit farther to the left/south under the Temple gets to the place that I had the single best day of surfing in my life. Would loooove to try that on a SUP.
Ahhh, that sound really fun.  I went pre-SUP so didn't see any of that, I have since heard from several people that there are some wonderful SUS spots.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »
Probably some great SUP spots but Ulus isn't one of them.  The wave first off is very quick and with all the other prone guys out there on Ferraris. It's probably not going to cut it on a mac truck.  Even the smallest SUP at say 24" pales in comparison to a 17 or 18" prone board as far as speed goes.  My prone board I used was 7'2" by 18" and these days that's big.  And if you were really good and could handle the speed at Ulus, you probably wouldn't get a friendly reception.  Bali is crowded and it's not especially the 'Aussie semi-pro' surfers.  The local kids are many and extremely good and very quick.  You might think you would be on the wave early with an SUB but these kids are super light.  They could take off ahead of you or behind you and race around you in a blink.  A SUP would end up behind and getting stuffed and dealing with the aforementioned sharp reef.

Bali in general is packed.  Just getting out and around to go just a few miles in a car is a major operation.  There are still some nice places to stay outside of the extended Kuta Beach area but the surf is packed.  My choice would be to go to any of the outer islands.  There are some great camps and mellower surf scenes.  Roti is nice and has a few SUP options.  Book at a camp somewhere where you don't have to drive.  You're on vacation after all.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 07:41:19 PM »
Nothing feels worse than the wave overtaking you little by little. I can't imagine when it's a freight train like Ulus. I am working on my prone skills so I can chase smaller days at places like this. (I can't fathom DOH there.) seeing Gerry paddle into these inspires me to stay in better shape.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »
Great video, funny story that Gerry ran into Bill Boyum while looking for Uluwatu.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »
Bummer, was hoping to see some footage of him SUPing it. I think that's what he's mainly doing these days?

> The biggest shock I got at Uluwatu was how sharp the reef is, seem like I cut myself just looking at it.  Beautiful place, would love to go back.

Amen, that was a huge shock for me too. All the breaks around there, just brutally shallow reef break. I was thoroughly not used to that when I arrived. I'd love to go back with a SUP though since the other big factor, the obnoxiously aggressive crowds of semi pro Australian surfers, would be so easy to avoid now. Just paddle a little farther down the point. At Ulu for example, just a little bit farther to the left/south under the Temple gets to the place that I had the single best day of surfing in my life. Would loooove to try that on a SUP.

Yep.  I noticed that also, and in Fiji to.  Seemed like they were all competing for a shot at the WCT, and even more so when I opened my mouth and they realized I was from California.  Has me reluctant to visit Australia, a whole continent of that vibe would probably feel overwhelming and sad, I empathize with what the aboriginal people went through.

At Ulu for example, just a little bit farther to the left/south under the Temple gets to the place that I had the single best day of surfing in my life. Would loooove to try that on a SUP.
Ahhh, that sound really fun.  I went pre-SUP so didn't see any of that, I have since heard from several people that there are some wonderful SUS spots.

Clay,
Open your mind about the Australians. You might want to check your own back yard about the American Indians before you comment about the Aussie Aboriginies...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal