Author Topic: The New all in one vario-flex paddle  (Read 14253 times)

mtnbkr

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The New all in one vario-flex paddle
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 07:14:30 PM »

Hi Burchas,

Just got off the water from trying my new ZRE paddle for the first time. All I can say is “WOW”! I don’t want to over exaggerate, but it really did feel that nice to me. Absolutely love this paddle. Just seems to cut through the water like a hot knife through butter. Is smooth and comfortable. The grip is a little larger than I’m used to, but after a couple of hours out on the water it felt just fine.

I’m not sure yet whether this paddle will help me with my golfer’s elbow issue and I think it will take a while before I have an answer to that question. But I do know, after only a couple of hours using it, that this paddle is a joy to use.

Should also provide a word of caution for anyone considering a ZRE. If you go on the ZRE webpage you will see you can get a lot of different options with these paddles. I’ve had Werner paddles previous to my new ZRE and when I was buying my last Werner I tried both the Grand Prix and the Trance. The Grand Prix had a 12 degree blade angle and the Trance had a 10 degree blade angle. I really didn’t like the 12 degree blade angle on the Grand Prix so I ordered the Trance.

When I looked at the blade angle on the ZRE, it comes standard with a 12 degree blade angle and for a little extra money you can get different blade angles. I talked to Bob at ZRE about this and told him I wanted the 10 degree blade. I gave him my reasons and he recommended I stay with the 12 degree blade. Bob told me that ZRE measures their blade angles differently than most of the other manufacturers, and that his blade angle would actually be about 10 1/2 degrees if measured the same as most other manufacturers. In any case, I went with Bob’s recommendation and stayed with the standard 12 degree blade angle. Am really glad I did as the paddle is extremely comfortable to use the way it is.

And finally a word about ZRE customer service. The first time I called ZRE I spoke with Max and my next conversation was with Bob. Have to say they were both extremely helpful and easy to deal with. I just couldn’t be happier with either the paddle, or the service I received. And thanks again to you as well Burchas, for recommending the ZRE. I now understand why so many of your group members ordered the ZRE!
[/quote]

Hi Quickbeam any update on how you are liking your paddle? How's the elbow doing?

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 09:18:34 AM »
Hi mtnbkr,

Should first of all say that I’m not paddling as much right now because of the cold weather. And when I do go out, I will have gloves on and be wearing a dry suit. So I’m not paddling right now either the same amount, or dressed the same way as I do in the summer.

Having said that, I am still getting out and the only paddle I’m using is my ZRE. Still really like this paddle. As for the elbows, still not sure if the new paddle is helping. My elbows are about the same. I’d say they are not getting any worse and maybe getting a little better because I haven’t been paddling as much, therefore they are getting more rest. I went to see my doctor the other day and he suggested I go to physio and get IMS treatment so I’m going to try that.

One thing I didn’t mention earlier though is that the other “issue” I’ve had when paddling is that after a while my left shoulder gives me problems. I’m pretty sure that the new paddle has helped with this. Don’t notice my shoulder near as much as I have with other paddles. I’m a little reluctant to say that this has definitely improved with the paddle, as I’m probably not out as long as I would be in the summer, but my shoulder just feels better somehow. So I guess I’m saying that I think the paddle has helped with the shoulder and I just don’t know if it is helping with the elbows. I’ll probably need to wait until the summer to be sure.

Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
I a continous effort to get to perfect the paddle, I've been getting on Bob's case
for sometime now in regards to a non-slip shaft option.

I've been using all sorts of solutions to remedy this and all of my paddles has some sort
of grip tape. The latest and most successful was the 3M Gripping Material TB400 Black,
6 in x 7 in sheet (Pack of 6) which cost about $20 on Amazon (if you can find it).

As of today, I believe problem solved! Bob replaced my top all Carbon shaft with a new
compound of Carbon/Kevlar shaft. No Weight penalty and yet he was able to make the
shaft with a fiber like finish. Dry or wet it I'm no longer fighting for a good leverage and
don't have to over-grip. It is even more subtle than the tape but without its shortcomings
like the added bulk or deterioration rate.

The finish is rough looking but I believe this cosmetic issue can be addressed as well.

in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
another addition to the ZRE options is a new small palm grip.
This is yet another thing I've been bugging bob about for a while now.
I have small hands and I find the bigger grips uncomfortable.

So along with my new shaft, Bob sent me his new small palm grip to test.

I immediately took liking to it. I'm now checking if he can make the grip with
the same finish of the shaft.

It is considerable smaller in volume compared to ZRE's standard grip and it is
somewhat similar to QB's P40 grip in volume, maybe slightly smaller.

Here are some images:
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
That's great. I love the small QB palm grip. It gives me fewer blisters in endurance paddles and I feel like I have more control in surf.

How do you order one of these from ZRE?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
That's great. I love the small QB palm grip. It gives me fewer blisters in endurance paddles and I feel like I have more control in surf.

How do you order one of these from ZRE?

That's exactly my experience.

You can call them directly. This is not yet in production but I believe they have few of those
lying around. PM if you can't manage to due to time differences.
in progress...

mtnbkr

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the updates!

The new smaller grip has perked my interest again in ordering a paddle.

How's the flex on the new shaft? What's the diameter? I like a little softer smaller shaft.

Aloha Jeff

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 08:45:59 PM »
Thanks for the updates!

The new smaller grip has perked my interest again in ordering a paddle.

How's the flex on the new shaft? What's the diameter? I like a little softer smaller shaft.

Aloha Jeff

Jeff, the flex is the same as it is controlled by the connecting ferrule. I have 2 handles
so for me it goes from super flexible to super stiff. I choose according to what kind of day
I'm having.

The shaft is oval tapered so different diameter at different points, but it is around 1 inch
in the mid-section. so it is in-fact smaller than the usual shafts on the market. The
fact that it's oval, give yo more control IMO.
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM