Author Topic: The New all in one vario-flex paddle  (Read 14188 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The New all in one vario-flex paddle
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:21:25 AM »
  • 2 piece (equal length) travel paddle
  • 3 different flex levels
  • 4 inch height adjustability
  • Oval tapered shaft
  • Super durable blade
  • 16-17 ounces
  • 100% made in America

I have never seen a travel and/or adjustable paddle that didn’t suck one way or the other IMO:
  • Too heavy
  • Too much wiggle
  • Takes too much water
  • Compromised shaft
  • Rely on hot-glue

These are the usual symptoms of these kind of paddles. The only paddle that came close was the Blue Planet KaiZen, but it had few shortcomings I could not live with: Limited choice of paddle area size, not height adjustable and also relies on glueing the pieces.

I turned to my first paddle maker, ZRE, for some ideas. ZRE has long been
a paddle of choice for champions like Annabelle Anderson, Georges Cronsteadt, sonni vonscheid etc.

I took a while but Bob finally found a way to modify my favorite 13.6 ounces 1 piece paddle into a 2 piece travel adjustable paddle by essentially modifying his paddle adjustment mechanism and put it in the middle of the paddle.

He sent me the prototype for testing, after a month of testing I was very impressed with it but had few adjustment and than it also hit me that with the use of his stiff shaft (which is the lightest) I could create a length dependent Vario-flex shaft.

The 2nd prototype has 2X40.5 inches long pieces, 4 inch adjustment range (mine is 73-77) and can be adjusted on the fly. At 77inch (most flexible) to 73in (stiff) the stiffens goes down according to the application of the paddle & in accordance to the QB chart:

• 77 - Touring
  • 76 - Performance long distance
  • 75 - Competition / performance
  • 74 - Sprint
  • 73 - Surf
http://www.quickbladepaddles.com/SUP-paddle-sizes/

In reality, I got 3 different paddles Touring, racing & surfing, which I’m also able to travel with, all while maintaining the quality and weight of a 1 piece paddle.

The paddle is practically water-tight, only after the most wet days I found it sometimes took-in few drops, so insignificant & unnoticeable it will NOT require you to open & empty it (like on my Werner Travel paddle).

The ZRE blade is similar in feel to the QB trifecta only it’s more stable & forgiving on a less than perfect stroke. It’s way more durable than the QB blades! I don’t even bother to put protective tape on it. And as with all ZRE paddles you can customize the crap out of it:

• 80-135 SQi blade area
  • 62-94 inches shaft length
  • 0-15 blade angle
  • adjustable paddle
  • and now this 2 piece travel option

My only concern with this paddle was that by putting the ferrel in the middle it will be more susceptible to breakage. This concern was all but eliminated during my time testing period. The ZRE ferrel is actually almost identical in properties to my QB flyweight elite shaft which I’ve been using also for a while with no issues (my weight ranges from 190 to 175 dependent on the season)

At this point I would not recommend the 2 piece paddle for paddlers over 200 LBR but for anything below that, it really looks promising.

Now I’m only left with the search for the perfect shaft texture, to promote better grip and reduce blisters on long runs.

I Would love to hear what you think about it & maybe get some ideas to implement on the 3rd iteration.
in progress...

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The New all in one vario-flex paddle
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »
I took a while but Bob finally found a way to modify my favorite 13.6 ounces 1 piece paddle into a 2 piece travel adjustable paddle by essentially modifying his paddle adjustment mechanism and put it in the middle of the paddle.

My only concern with this paddle was that by putting the ferrel in the middle it will be more susceptible to breakage. This concern was all but eliminated during my time testing period. The ZRE ferrel is actually almost identical in properties to my QB flyweight elite shaft which I’ve been using also for a while with no issues (my weight ranges from 190 to 175 dependent on the season)

At this point I would not recommend the 2 piece paddle for paddlers over 200 LBR but for anything below that, it really looks promising.
I had wondered why there weren't any two piece travel paddles but hadn't thought it out. Now I know. I hope something happens as I think lots of people would like that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:02 PM »
Nice design. I had a similar design in mind for a KeNalu travel paddle with swappable mid sections. I didn't plan to use a quick release, just hot glue and adjustability with a hair dryer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 09:13:21 PM »
Nice design. I had a similar design in mind for a KeNalu travel paddle with swappable mid sections. I didn't plan to use a quick release, just hot glue and adjustability with a hair dryer.

Thanks Bill. I was considering the same thing when I saw Robert's KaiZen. Swapping the mid section is a good idea. When I reached out to Robert, he said he didn't considered it but it's certainly possible.

Eventually I decided not to go with that paddle for 2 reasons: the blade area size is too big for me (I even went down to 80 recently), I also wanted to be able to adjust it on the fly when hitting a long stretch of headwind (I can't stand the choke stroke). It also meant I'll have to carry 2 extra mid-sections to cover all my bases.
in progress...

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:27 PM »
Burchas where does the lower hand go in relation to the lever lock? Above it?

Also how does is the swing weight affected by having the adjustment in the middle rather than the top of the shaft?

I have been using a ZRE for about a month and I love it.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 06:23:23 AM »
Burchas where does the lower hand go in relation to the lever lock? Above it?

Also how does is the swing weight affected by having the adjustment in the middle rather than the top of the shaft?

I have been using a ZRE for about a month and I love it.

Yes Zach, the lower hand goes above the lever lock on a sup. I could not detect any shift in the swing balance though.
and I definitely would have since I've been using this paddle with my new smaller 80 SQI blade to increase my stroke rate
quite a bit.

Glad to hear you got the ZRE, did you go with the flex or stiff shaft?
in progress...

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »
I went stiff shaft, factory second blade in 90in2, and the lighter of the two paddle options. I love the paddle. 15.6 oz at 78" long. I really like the oval shaft. It is very stiff. Slightly more technical catch then the vdrive which can be plopped in sloppily. No more difficult than a a trifecta however. The firmness of the catch is much closer to vdrive than trifecta however. After the catch there is no wobble, and it is a bit more stable than the trifecta. I like how forgiving to lazy technique the vdrive is, though perhaps that allows bad habits. But the ZRE is so much lighter and snappier feeling than the vdrive that i prefer it to the vdrive overall.

I did ask bob to leave the handle unglued so that i could use hotglue and make it easy to shorten.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »
I went stiff shaft, factory second blade in 90in2, and the lighter of the two paddle options. I love the paddle. 15.6 oz at 78" long. I really like the oval shaft. It is very stiff. Slightly more technical catch then the vdrive which can be plopped in sloppily. No more difficult than a a trifecta however. The firmness of the catch is much closer to vdrive than trifecta however. After the catch there is no wobble, and it is a bit more stable than the trifecta. I like how forgiving to lazy technique the vdrive is, though perhaps that allows bad habits. But the ZRE is so much lighter and snappier feeling than the vdrive that i prefer it to the vdrive overall.

I did ask bob to leave the handle unglued so that i could use hotglue and make it easy to shorten.

it sounds like you got the regular PowerSurge rather than the ZX4 lightweight option, possibly with the "T" handle?
Anyway that is a great paddle. I suspect the stronger catch compared to the Trifecta is due to the difference in the blade angle
since you get slightly more lift with the ZRE.

I still use the Trifecta whenever I'm actively working on improving my stroke but for anything else It's the new 2 piece ZRE.
Now with the 80sqi blade and the higher stroke rate I get much better average speed without the shoulder/back strain that I used to have.

I'm wondering how this new super stiff responsive shaft will affect your Gorge experience compared to last year.
in progress...

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 05:45:32 PM »
I got the Zx4 with the regular ergo shape handle

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 07:09:55 PM »
I wonder why the 2oz difference then. Mine was 13.6oz at 77" 85sqi.
Did you get the extended handle? That would explain it.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 07:23:02 PM »
Funny how the lighter the paddle, the wankier people get about weight.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 07:36:27 PM »
a paddle of choice for champions like Annabelle Anderson, Georges Cronsteadt, sonni vonscheid etc.

Sonni Honscheid is sponsored by Black Project of Maui and uses their fins and paddles.

http://www.blackprojectfins.com/2015/05/21/sonni-hoenscheid-joins-black-project-sup-team/

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »

Sonni Honscheid is sponsored by Black Project of Maui and uses their fins and paddles.

http://www.blackprojectfins.com/2015/05/21/sonni-hoenscheid-joins-black-project-sup-team/

Yet all the pictures of her using a paddle, she uses the ZRE.
Look at the 2016 SIC catalog and on SiC website

Look at that podium pic. Do you see any Black Project?
http://www.sicmaui.com/blog/sonni-hnscheid-2016-sup-world-cup-champion/?imt=1

Even in the press release you posted, she is using the ZRE. She is only on their fins the press release says. Nothing about paddles.

Interestingly, Ryan James, who's also mentioned in the presser, is also a long time ZRE user.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:26:24 PM by burchas »
in progress...

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 04:18:57 AM »

Maybe i have to calibrate my scale. It was still 2oz lighter than quickblade 91 in round shaft on my scale and within a fraction of an ounce from the kenalu mana 90.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 05:06:07 AM »

Maybe i have to calibrate my scale. It was still 2oz lighter than quickblade 91 in round shaft on my scale and within a fraction of an ounce from the kenalu mana 90.

You know, I think Bill is right. I got a little wankier. You got a great paddle that is down there with the Quickblades and the Kenalus. What more can one ask.

I still prefer my ZRE vario-flex 80 the most even though it's my heaviest paddle.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal