Author Topic: Filling holes in foam?  (Read 24378 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Filling holes in foam?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 06:18:08 PM »
Pretty much. The polyurethane cross-links when it comes in contact with water, meaning the ends of the long chain of polymers link together and sometimes to itself. Each link frees up an atom of CO2, which is why the glue foams. I'm not sure why vinegar alone would make it foam more. My chemistry knowledge is limited to understanding simple processes--basically what Khan Academy taught me a few years ago. The reaction is not exothermic to any significant degree. If a polymer completely cross-links (Gorilla glue probably does) it is actually all one molecule.

Mixing the Gorilla glue thoroughly with water or vinegar will probably help the distribution of the CO2, but it's a bit random. I'd always be concerned about voids and varied density. That and the relative toughness of the cross-linked stuff would seem to make finishing an iffy thing. Of course if your say my boards you'd probably think "this is the last guy I want to hear about finishing from.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:21:17 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »
Wonder what happens if I mixed gorilla glue with epoxy? Mess, or a quick waterproof sandable repair.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 01:16:13 PM »
Wonder what happens if I mixed gorilla glue with epoxy? Mess, or a quick waterproof sandable repair.

I can think of several reasons why that wouldn't work, but what the hell, give it a try and let us know what happens.  Lots of interesting stuff has been discovered by experimentation, futzing around, and/or accident--Post It Notes, ice cream cones, velcro. 

Maybe you'll come up with the next Flubber.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »
Looks like bread dough, not sure how it will cure.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal