Author Topic: Fins for Surfing  (Read 5644 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Fins for Surfing
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »
Question for all surfing Zoners:

What fin set up are you running?  I'd also like to know what type of board (progressive, all around, fish/simm, longboard) and how big it is.  Throw in the type of surf you normally use that board and fin set up in. 

I've used single and quad mostly, and I'm exploring the value of a thruster or 2+1 set up for a 9-6 rounded pintail at mushy places like Doheny, San-O and Santa Barbara points and reefs (my usual haunts). Going to outfit a new board with a fresh set of fins (maybe). The 5" and 4" set of quads I have now worked fine this weekend but that was my first go.  I may need to get a couple sizes of center and run 2+1 til I get it dialed in to taste.  I like to use a single on my longer 10-6, and same size quads for my wider tailed Simm style.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fins for Surfing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
I run a Thruster on my 9'7 Ron House (8" center fin w small side bites), a quad set up on my 8'10 Kings Custom Laser (FCS II Large front Carvers w Medium Rears) and a quad set up in my 8'4 Focus Rawson (Focus Large Prototype front w small Futures rears).

Mr. Big is a huge fin guy, he'll give you some good advice!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »
Weight: 227 lbs

JP 8'10: Dane Pioli DP02 2+1 from shapers. Smaller than what I run on other boards because JP does that zero cant thing that makes boards a little stiffer.

Starboard Pro 9'8: JL1 2+1 from FCS. Big fins, but I'm big and I use this board on big enough waves that I don't want it slipping out. Stock quads spin out for me on this board.

Starboard 8'2 Widepoint: Stock quads. These spin out on me a little, but on this board I don't mind since it only goes out on small, marginal conditions.

PSH 10'6 gun (RIP): Laird 2+1 from Futures. Rear is slightly larger than the sides, so not a true thruster. This board was for the biggest days. I'll probably use the same fins for my next gun.

Custom 7'0 SIM/Fish: Compressor Quads from FCS plus darc drive nubster in the center. Thick board with a wide tail. Anything smaller spins out too easily for me.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:21 PM »
Shapers makes a few 2+1 fin setups in different sizes that are more or less thrusters that might be worth a look.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:27:25 PM »
On my 10'4 foote I have a 6" Hawaiian Fin Co center and 2.5" foiled thrusters. Slip and slide. On my L41 I have 4.5" Future Controllers. All the other boards are whatever fin is handy.

235#, 6'2".   Maui--chree ta fi' and this year a lot of "holy shit, too late to run" stuff, Oregon coast--who knows.  Cali--whatever I can get, but bigger is better.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:30:39 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:21:49 PM »
Excellent responses, keep em coming, and without asking some of you are adding weight, which is very helpful.  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 02:55:58 AM »
For my longboard, Taylor Jensen 2+1 Futures set. I've tried tons of fin combo, that set fit my taste perfectly.

Shortboard, John John L fronts, John John S rears (quad) rear boxes set to make this work. Magic feel for what I like.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 06:28:56 PM »
I really like the red tip 3-d fins  sometimes I surf them as squad others  with a 6 inch 3-d  center fin.  The tip of the fin is foiled pretty small maybe an 1.5 inches long . 75  wide on the center fin. the side fins the foils are canted in towards the center.  I have found this to be the best set up I have ever ridden.  and as a bonus it is a bit harder to fin thyself. 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:51:01 PM »
I use my Pearson Laird Surftech 10'6" as my big wave board - I'm no longer
trying to hang toes on it - the priority now is low drag and fast.  I've found the smallest
fins where I still have good control work best - - generally small side bites
and a somewhat small center fin - to get the least paddling resistance,
the easiest wave catching and the greatest speed for making sections.

Small side bites are some 2.25"s; more standard are 3.50” GL side bites
A little larger set that I use to try to hold the tail down for noseriding further up
on the nose are the 4.25" Rainbow fin Speed Wings. 

I also have a 4.33" Swept Wing Keel by Indo Fins.  It is FCS - I lost one using it in the
middle box using an adapter (but it was lots of fun).  I bought another one and use it as a side
bite on the waveside going right (with a different side bite on the other side).  I really
like that - extra hold without extra depth - I think it is actually better as a side bite
than in main box - fun either way - gets me up a little further on the nose while not
slowing the board down or adding much drag.

So, I often mix and match side bites and plan to keep experimenting.

--
In center box I often  use 7.5” inch O’Fish’L fin, rear pin
or similar (I have lots of fins).

To get a more of a pivot feel I use a 5.5” Fins Unlimited Cutaway
or a 6.5” Fins Unlimited Cutaway  - The small one will sometimes
let the tail put out, but it is still very fun - probably use the larger one
on bigger, steeper waves.  I found it is best not to put these all the
way back in the box (when you have side bites) as you lose the fun "pivot effect"
- you want it more like a cluster.

=================
On my 10'1" Black & Blue noserider, I try to have a big fin to help slow the board
down and hopefully suck the tail down.  I've tried about 10 fins.  My favorite so far
is rainbow D-fin - Finally, hung five toes over! (not a cheater five) a few times.
--  Also, I was surprised at how well the board turns with the big fins - top turns,
bottom turns, rollercoasters - since then, I've researched and I think it is because
the board has so much tail rocker - that along with the soft rails allows it to turn
very easily with big fins.

===========
So, if it is big and fast and I see people aren't often able to make the wave,
I'll use the Laird with the smallest fins that do the job.

If I think I can easily make the wave,
I'm riding the Black & Blue, riding a little slower and more controlled
and trying to get to the tip.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 03:25:17 AM »
Starboard Avanti running GERRY Lopez GL-1 Tri Fin pack, big improvement over stock fins. 250lds

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 05:04:54 AM »
 On my bigger longboard style boards, I always used a big old school fin. Best for noseriding. Never had much experience with the 2 + 1 style except futures short hatchet with small sides which was the perfect setup for my Angulo.

Used the GL 1 and GL 2 quads and thrusters in my 10'6 and 9'8" Hobies; I preferred the quads as the were much easier to initiate turns. Both Lopez and Rawson use quads in their bigger production boards; with a lot of board in the water quads work pretty well.

In my 7'11" Kings I use Shapers S 9 thrusters with a us plate center fin. They have IFT foiled sides rather than flat which seems to agree with me.

I use controller style FCS quads in my Angulo 8'10"; perfect for that board.

FCS II Stretch smaller 5 fin set primarily as a thruster in my 9'4" King's in smaller waves; and FCS II Carver thrusters in bigger winter stuff. Carvomatic baby!

I owned an SIC pintail and it seemed to prefer some Piros V 8's with a plate and screw center fin.

The Fin Finatic deal at Surfboard Warehouse ( NO AFFILIATION ) is great way to try different setups without ending up with a huge pile of fins.

Your experiences may differ! Try and see; don't theorize!

Cheapest way to get a new board imaginable! Just change the d**n fins!!  8)  8)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:10:21 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 10:14:56 AM »
Longboard  single 8, 9, 10"  or 7.5 w/ sides or quads

[URL=http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/jayspics09/media/image_zps4covbp1a.jpeg.html][/URL]

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 10:23:48 AM »
9-6 shortboard   F4 quads

r

8-4 shortboard   AM2 OD2 3.75

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
Gun 8" w sides    quads or larger single by itself

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »
Question for all surfing Zoners:

What fin set up are you running?  I'd also like to know what type of board (progressive, all around, fish/simm, longboard) and how big it is.  Throw in the type of surf you normally use that board and fin set up in. 

I've used single and quad mostly, and I'm exploring the value of a thruster or 2+1 set up for a 9-6 rounded pintail at mushy places like Doheny, San-O and Santa Barbara points and reefs (my usual haunts). Going to outfit a new board with a fresh set of fins (maybe). The 5" and 4" set of quads I have now worked fine this weekend but that was my first go.  I may need to get a couple sizes of center and run 2+1 til I get it dialed in to taste.  I like to use a single on my longer 10-6, and same size quads for my wider tailed Simm style.

Aloha Jim,
Not sure if you have been running my 4" & 5" side biters with the bamboo honeycomb sandwich construction...but, you may want to check those out...even better control and placement of flex...we also have some new colored versions of those...or, my carbon honeycomb sandwich version...which are even a bit stiffer for more drive...

We also have a new production run on the way of my 6.5" and 7.5" centers that we have been sold out of...

http://supsports.com/sup-fins
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal