Author Topic: Adjustable Quickblade paddle tears up my hands.  (Read 3368 times)

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Adjustable Quickblade paddle tears up my hands.
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
I have a newer adjustable quickblade kanaha. Now that i am using it more aggressively and for longer periods of time it is starting to give me blisters and abrasions. Its nothing major but it is definitely not comfortable. Im sure the long term answer is to get a fixed length paddle and move on but i cant right now. Any ideas on how to cover the lower holes used for adjustments without messing up the paddle? I use it at its longest length myself but i do break it down for my wife or for travel. Thanks.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Adjustable Quickblade paddle tears up my hands.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
When I use to paddle my kayak, I use to use weight lifters gloves with the fingers protected up to the first knuckle. After the first knuckle on each finger, then skin was exposed. This cured me of my case of blisters and abrasions to my palms and fingers.

You might want to get a cheap pair weight lifters gloves and try them out.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:40:31 PM »
Not a good situation, for sure.
Wrapping the shaft with tape comes to mind, thereby covering the holes. There's probably a better variety of tape for the job in terms of water resistance, durability, etc.
Edge tape would be good.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

sxrracer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 03:28:17 PM »
Look into Jet Pilot or Slippery PWC gloves

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
Da Kine make some good paddle gloves.

You can also cover the holes with self-amalgamating tape and a hockey grip. It will add a bit of bulk and weight but it is very comfy.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 04:09:49 PM »
Xcel makes good paddle gloves.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »
Xcel makes good paddle gloves.
Ah yes, I forgot those - they are even better than the Da Kine ones IMO: The short fingered versions.

Although the most comfy of all are a pair of 1.5mm neoprene gloves cut down. The trouble with paddle gloves is that unless they fit absolutely perfectly and every seam is also perfect, you can end up with some annoying little area that rubs quite badly. Whereas with neoprene gloves there is no stitching internally to rub. But this will make much more sense if you live in a colder climate

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
Heat Shrink tubing... its pretty rugged stuff and can be removed or replaced
Old fugger who just likes to fish

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »
Heat shrink or electrical tape.

Gloves might not be best due to water etc. Also, how far down do they go? Mine stop way before where my lower hand goes. Are you holding your hand too high maybe?

Post a pic of the whole thing if you can, but I use electrical tape to keep water out of mine and it lasts over a year of light use.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 09:10:40 AM »
Helicopter tape.  Two strips to cover the holes and a couple wraps around the joint.  It keeps water and sand out and you can still adjust your paddle easy enough.  You'll be surprised how many times you'll be able to reuse and rewrap the joint with the same piece of tape.  I do it wet and on the water all the time.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 09:28:21 AM »
This is what I've found to deal with slippage and blisters, still working well for me:

Handlebar tape seems to work very well, this product in specific:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGAFDG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

It's lighter than the RSPro grip, half the price. It's also soft to the touch and not too grippy.
It holds well in the water and the perforation seems to help with dispersing the water from the grip.

One of those is enough for 4 paddles. 2 pieces, 84 inch each and all you need is 42inch to cover your usable area. You could also use the extra to apply at the top of the paddle if you use choke grip a lot.

It takes 2 minutes to apply, and comes with endless choices of colors and textures.

You can find some more info on this older thread: http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28132.msg305092.html#msg305092

I actually use half the length I used back then so it will be enough for 8 paddles, and it is reusable.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 09:29:44 AM »
Wax the shaft. It's cutting up your hands because they're slipping around.  If you don't mind the extra weight, wrap the area you grab with hockey tape and wax over that. It will add weight, but it's at the top where it doesn't matter much.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »
So i feel that most of you all were right about what was happening with my paddle. First, my hand definitely creeps up while im paddling exposing me to the holes for adjustment. It also slips a bit contributing to the creeping up. So i went ahead and put some heavy duty electrical tape on the lower 2 holes and it helped. I was able to find where my hand should be so i can now adjust when i start sliding. Wax will be applied prior to my next paddle to help with the slip. The issue is I am 6'4" so i have the paddle at max length so naturally the lower holes are right where my hand goes. I learn something new every time i go out on my board as well as every time i come on here. Thanks guys.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal