Author Topic: Fin design questions  (Read 2121 times)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fin design questions
« on: May 31, 2016, 06:57:37 AM »
Hi All,

Got the Hybrid fin this past weekend.  I unfortunately didn't get a chance to paddle it yet, was busy all weekend, but after hearing such promising things about added stability, I was curious exactly what makes the difference over a stock fin.  It looks like there's a couple extra square inches of area.  Is it the shape?  Or a combo of both?

Starboard 2015 Elite Touring 14'
JL Blade II
-------------------------------------
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fin design questions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »
Lord only knows, but if you ask Larry you'll be on the phone for half an hour. the guy loves his work. My guess is that Larry's fin gives a bit of the advantage of both low aspect fins (lots of lift) and high aspect fins with wide tips (stability). But that's just a guess.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:39:34 AM »
Probably a combo of both.  Does track well and is fairly stable in very rough water.  The long base - extra tip area - and trailing edge cut-outs - all seem to play a part.

Mostly we use smaller profile fins for more maneuverability as the Hybrid and Elite seem to catch and broach angling down steep waves.  They can work DW - but there is a smaller margin of error.

For AW use they are good stable fins - but do have a tendency to drag on flat.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:52:12 AM »
The most significant factors affecting how much stability a fin adds to a board is (a) overall area and (b) the amount of that area that is low down in the water (towards the tip). But there are other more dynamic factors too. For instance, a fin that flexes can "feel" more stable in some conditions because it is more "forgiving". But in other conditions and with other riders it can make the board trickier, so it all starts to get more complex once you just go past overall fin area and how much area it has low down in the water. A long-based shallow fin like a Futures Keel fin will add less stability for a given area than a fin like a True Ames (longboard) Squirrel fin, where most of the area is at the tip, and the fin itself is longer.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »
I've got a hybrid and agree it tracks better and is more stable than smaller fins.  One question though, it and the elite are described as great rough water fins.  But, in recent posts some folk say their size can be a disadvantage in side chop / wind as the nose gets pushed round more easily.

So, maybe the added stability in those conditions comes at a price?  No such thing as a free lunch?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »
I've got a hybrid and agree it tracks better and is more stable than smaller fins.  One question though, it and the elite are described as great rough water fins.  But, in recent posts some folk say their size can be a disadvantage in side chop / wind as the nose gets pushed round more easily.

So, maybe the added stability in those conditions comes at a price?  No such thing as a free lunch?
Yes, that is EXACTLY it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal