Author Topic: Would this work to protect paddle blade edge?  (Read 8537 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Would this work to protect paddle blade edge?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »
I used to use this in the past.  Works fine. 

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »
It is too heavy.  Use electrical tape.  A few years ago on this forum, there was a video on how to apply it.  Electrical tape is easy to reapply, when needed.  Type electrical tape in the search box. You'll find it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:25:57 PM by hbsteve »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »
This is the stuff you want. Hbsteve is wrong - he's probably thinking this is the thick black stuff that used to come in a package just like this and rentals sometimes use. But if you watch the video, this is basically thin helicopter tape and is pretty much indistinguishable from the RSPro blade protector that is much more expensive. It's an understandable mistake. The length should fit round most blade heads. If you put two strips on one paddle, on top of each other, you will have protected your blade well and it will hardly be noticeable unless you look carefully. It lasts a long time, unless you are paddling very rocky shores - in which case consider a paddle with a thermoplastic blade like some of the Kialoas (which are very nice), or Red Paddle make a specific river one that isn't totally tragic and is cheap.

I buy this stuff in a much longer (and a bit narrower I think) reel, and it is usefully cheaper that way per paddle. So if you can find it locally and have a couple of paddles to do, it could be worth trying to track down:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-84901-ScotchgardTM-Paint-Protection/dp/B0017MGPLS

Electrical tape is a lot cheaper though, and works just fine. It doesn't last as long or look as nice but you can redo it every few months for next to nothing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:01:13 PM by Area 10 »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 01:57:01 AM »
Post deleted by author.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:00:30 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 09:45:56 AM »
this is the stuff
the only thing that is comparable (still testing) is the RSPro Blade  guard

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »
Yes. And WAY more cost effective than the RSP. And just as effective. I have actually tried both. Even the dreaded NAPA rubber edge guards - cheap, but NFG.

You will discover that RSP is another popular variety of cool aid. JEGS protective tape just as good and way cheaper..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
This is the stuff you want. Hbsteve is wrong - he's probably thinking this is the thick black stuff that used to come in a package just like this and rentals sometimes use. But if you watch the video, this is basically thin helicopter tape and is pretty much indistinguishable from the RSPro blade protector that is much more expensive. It's an understandable mistake. The length should fit round most blade heads. If you put two strips on one paddle, on top of each other, you will have protected your blade well and it will hardly be noticeable unless you look carefully. It lasts a long time, unless you are paddling very rocky shores - in which case consider a paddle with a thermoplastic blade like some of the Kialoas (which are very nice), or Red Paddle make a specific river one that isn't totally tragic and is cheap.

I buy this stuff in a much longer (and a bit narrower I think) reel, and it is usefully cheaper that way per paddle. So if you can find it locally and have a couple of paddles to do, it could be worth trying to track down:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-84901-ScotchgardTM-Paint-Protection/dp/B0017MGPLS

Electrical tape is a lot cheaper though, and works just fine. It doesn't last as long or look as nice but you can redo it every few months for next to nothing.

I bought this in the reel that Area 10 mentioned in the quote above. Just finished applying it and it goes on easily, and looks great. Thanks for the idea!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »
Glad it worked out for you. The zone is great for this sort of thing.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »

Yes, it really is.

And Area 10, also have to thank you for something else. A week ago yesterday I made a 7 hour round trip to pick up a new Bark Contender. You were the one who first put me onto the Bark boards. I haven’t had a lot of “board time” yet, but so far I really like it. You may remember that a couple of months ago I purchased the Competitor. I’m going to keep the Competitor as a touring board, and while I still like it, given my height and weight I think the Contender is a much better suited board for me. It is nimble and quick and responsive. Is also my first carbon board. Am really quite excited. This is the first time I've purchased a board without trying it first so it was a bit of gamble, but I am so glad I took the plunge. Now I just need two things to happen. Need the weather to get a little better, and also need some time for my bruised ribs to heal. Then I’ll be able to get some serious time on my new board. Thanks again!

(Also, sorry to hijack this thread).
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »
Great choice. The Contender has a lot of very loyal fans, and I think it probably hits the sweet spot for so many people on so many levels. Hard to beat the way the Bark boards sit in, and cut through, the water. Let us know how you get on with it.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 03:23:21 PM »
We use it too!
Good product and so much cheaper than Railsaver pro.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 04:57:31 PM »

Yes, it really is.

And Area 10, also have to thank you for something else. A week ago yesterday I made a 7 hour round trip to pick up a new Bark Contender. You were the one who first put me onto the Bark boards. I haven’t had a lot of “board time” yet, but so far I really like it. You may remember that a couple of months ago I purchased the Competitor. I’m going to keep the Competitor as a touring board, and while I still like it, given my height and weight I think the Contender is a much better suited board for me. It is nimble and quick and responsive. Is also my first carbon board. Am really quite excited. This is the first time I've purchased a board without trying it first so it was a bit of gamble, but I am so glad I took the plunge. Now I just need two things to happen. Need the weather to get a little better, and also need some time for my bruised ribs to heal. Then I’ll be able to get some serious time on my new board. Thanks again!

(Also, sorry to hijack this thread).

:)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
Just curious if anyone has ever tried putting this product on the shaft of their paddle? Maybe a crazy idea, but I was wondering if putting the 3M tape up say 18” from the top of the blade along the side of the paddle shaft would help prevent markings on the board rail from any inadvertent hits with the paddle? I’m not generally a “rail banger” but I do occasionally hit the rails, especially on my 29” board. I know I could get rail tape, but was wondering if this might be another alternative that would work?

Any thoughts?
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 05:19:17 PM »
Yes, I do that. Works well - protects board and paddle. If you have RSPro rail tape on your board though it will eat the tape up in time. But better that than the scuffing of the shaft that otherwise occurs.

You don't need 18" though. 10-12" should be plenty.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal