Author Topic: Shark Scare. Zooport Disobeyed Lifeguard. Got interviewed by NEWS  (Read 8414 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shark Scare. Zooport Disobeyed Lifeguard. Got interviewed by NEWS
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 05:06:26 PM »
Driving, or   just doing stupid  stuff you tube is full of  it.  I always think geez there is no lifeguard  in the gene pool  how did these guys ancestors survive  long enough to  get here  today?

SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »
Eek, a shark! Jeez, it's like people think all they do is hunt for human flesh.
They actually don't like human flesh OR blood. If they bite its generally out of curiosity or confusion. Usually 1 bite and it's "Ewwwwwww what did I just do????"
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 11:48:14 PM »
Eek, a shark! Jeez, it's like people think all they do is hunt for human flesh.
They actually don't like human flesh OR blood. If they bite its generally out of curiosity or confusion. Usually 1 bite and it's "Ewwwwwww what did I just do????"

Shark bulimia.  If you see a really skinny shark, it's because they bit a human.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »
I think they could get used to eating fatter people. Great whites like seals just fine. We don't taste like them, so they whack, spit, and wander away. With a nice layer of blubber we might taste a bit more like seals. Then they might finish the meal.

Just kidding, they actually pretty much know we're not regular food when they hit--even shortboarders. If they whacked a shortboarder like they do a sea lion the "taste" would cut the victim in two. Not enough humans in the water to represent a reliable food source, and a shark brain is a pretty simple thing--no room for cognition, just a lot of instincts, sensor translation, and muscle control.

Having dissected a shark head I can tell you firsthand that the brain looks like a miniature vagina and ovaries. That might explain something, but probably not. This is a big Tiger.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:26:33 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »
I heard someone posted an inappropriate photo on the Hot Chicks thread earlier today, and admin has shut it down for six hours, or until he feels it's not likely another one will be posted.

Once he opens it back up, there shouldn't be any chance of it happening again, the way there might be if he opened it back up too soon.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »

Nice. And so true.

I was out SUPing a few years ago. I saw a large dorsal and tail fin come out of the water with a nice 5-6 feet between them so I figured it was a 10-12 footer, but it looked like it passed by. I was alone with 8-10 foot faces so I wasn't about to leave. I catch another wave and see the fin again..either it had a buddy or the shark had circled around. Either way that was one too much. I paddled over to another break where prone surfers sit..I figure I should let them know. I tell them all about it...and a few guys starts paddling in. One guy just sits there. Then he goes: "I love it. Last time they saw a shark I surfed this spot alone. I got all the waves.". The reaction in the lineup was hilarious. People were so conflicted...you could literally see the cognitive dissonance work them. I guess about half the guys left.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »
I love that. It's best if you can actually point to the shark. Manta Ray wingtips work almost as well as actual sharks. Empty lineup. It's good to leave a couple of shortboarders though, just in case the shark decides to do a taste test.

PDX, I had to read that three times to get it. Either my ADD is firing on eight cylinders or I'm just chugging along on one with a misfire.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:14:25 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 10:59:49 PM »
My own ADD

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 11:13:56 PM »
Classic PDX.
As most of you know, lately the harbor patrol has been hassling all the paddleboarder's about not wearing PFD's. So over this past weekend I was paddling in the harbor in the late afternoon. There were a bunch drunks going twice the speed limit in there Zodiacts creating big wakes inside the harbor. People just being unsafe drunk idiot boaters. Of course no harbor patrol to be found.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 12:33:24 AM »

I have no commercial affiliation with snickers.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
I heard someone posted an inappropriate photo on the Hot Chicks thread earlier today, and admin has shut it down for six hours, or until he feels it's not likely another one will be posted.

Once he opens it back up, there shouldn't be any chance of it happening again, the way there might be if he opened it back up too soon.

Awe, I missed it?  I have a few politically incorrect terms I haven't been able to use yet.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 03:39:37 AM »

Sheesh, the rumor mill.  That is not at all what happened.  In truth, Alana Blanchard was releasing her new bikini line in that time range.  This was prophylactic.  We just couldn't risk it.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 06:30:28 AM »

Oooohhhh, now I get it.  At first, I thought you gone skitzo on us PDX.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »
Ha great story. I had a bit of a shark scare recently too. My spot is very well known for great white shark activity, and all the old timers say its just a matter of time before everyone at least sees one, so I've been bracing myself for it. Then a couple of months ago there was hardly any swell and I was surfing a crappy peak alone but managed to get a couple so a friend paddles over. He looks down the bar a bit and says "what's that? Doesn't look like a dolphin". I couldn't find whatever he was looking at, but figured it was probably still a dolphin. The waves turned off so we paddled 30 yards or so towards shore to catch the insiders and I looked back to where we were and there was what looked like a big lazy dolphin splashing around in the exact spot that we were 5 minutes earlier. Definitely not a dolphin though, had the big triangular dorsal and was much too pale. I don't think it was a great white, or if it was it was really young and small (maybe 6 to 8 feet?), but it was pretty clearly some kind of shark.

If the conditions were really good I might have stuck it out but I was looking for an excuse to call it a day anyway so I caught one in. But my friend just went down the bar and surfed for another hour. The shark made its way down to where they were, but was still just swimming around, doing his own thing.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard