Author Topic: Hokulea  (Read 4327 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Hokulea
« on: May 30, 2016, 06:34:58 AM »
We are honored to have these serious voyagers join us in New England soon.

Although there is nothing on the website yet, the advance planners are pretty sure that the Hokulea will leave NYC June 19th, and then head to Block Island (20th).   That brings them to Martha's Vineyard on the 21/22 time frame.

Just putting this out there because I know the Block Island folks are gonna do a bit of a paddle out (if the kanu doesn't come in at midnite). 

The voyagers are planning to go up LI sound...which might be an opportunity for some of you....Although I am betting if it goes SW, they  might just go offshore after a few days in NYC!

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Gansett

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hokulea
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
The Hokulea will be at the Wooden Boat Show at Mystic Seaport 6/24-6/26. Martha's Vineyard is scheduled for 6/28-7/1 then off to Woods Hole.  A crew member told me this week that they were stopping in Block Island, but it sounds like a quick stop.

Shared from Mystic Seaport: We are looking forward to hosting the Hokulea Crew at this year's WoodenBoat Show June 24-26. Details will be forthcoming, but this should be a fun stop on their circumnavigation voyage in a waʻa kaulua, a Polynesian double-hulled voyaging canoe.   

Shared from Sam Low: HOKULE’A WILL VISIT MARTHA’S VINEYARD FROM JUNE 28 TO JULY 1 THEN SAIL TO WOODS HOLE.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:05:08 PM »
Always worth seeing. I love that boat. In my opinion this is the best piece of art at Ponohouse. Probably the piece I look at the most:

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:57:51 PM »
Thanks outcast, great info!

I met some of the crew in Virginia, but never got to see the Hokulea itself.
Amazing people, Herculean effort connect all the indigenous people around the world, thought their circumnavigation without navigation instruments.

it would be awesome to paddle out to meet it!

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:17:17 AM »
I'm bumping this...
Maybe I should have titled it something else, and maybe folks don't understand the Hokule'a story, but they met with the UN for World Oceans day, and TODAY there is a canoe race on the Hudson.

Get out there...!

I'm still hearing the same time frame for Block Island, but dibs to Gansett for his input
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

supthecreek

Re: Hokulea - Tragic loss of Eddie Aikau - Birth of "The Eddie"
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 07:34:34 AM »
Tragedy: The Loss of a Legend
In 1978 Hōkūle‘a set out for Tahiti again. The heavily loaded canoe capsized in stormy seas off of Moloka‘i. The next day, crew member Eddie Aikau left on a surfboard to get help. Crew member Kiki Hugho remembers, “We were hours away from losing people. Hypothermia, exposure, exhaustion. When he paddled away, I really thought he was going to make it and we weren’t.” But the crew was rescued; Eddie was lost at sea. After the tragedy, Nainoa Thompson recalls, “we could have quit. But Eddie had this dream about finding islands the way our ancestors did and if we quit, he wouldn’t have his dream fulfilled. He was saying to me, ‘Raise Hawaiki from the sea.’”

All watermen should know the story of the Hōkūle‘a.
It is a story of the sea itself and through Eddie Aikau, has become part of surfing lore.

Read the story here:
http://www.hokulea.com/voyages/our-story/

I will go visit it at Woods Hole (on Cape Cod)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
Great 30 for 30 from ESPN on Eddie Aikau, includes 1978 tragedy.

Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ugyYVNs0g

8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »
The Hokulea will be at the Wooden Boat Show at Mystic Seaport 6/24-6/26.

I will be in the neighborhood.  Maybe I should do a fly-by on my windsurfer 1 SUP.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
Worth a trip to see. I've seen the boat perhaps seven times, a thrill every time. It's a spaceship from 1300 AD.

I commissioned the Hokulea model after reading a book about Eddie Aikau and then reading everything I could find about Hokulea and traditional navigation.  Miles Fry had a piece of koa he'd been saving that was perfect for a twin hull sailing canoe. His wife wove the Tapa cloth for the sail. It took a long time, but it was worth the wait. It arrived at Ship Model Gallery in Paia while I was off island. When I got back I made a beeline for the store. Konrad asked me what I thought of it. I opened my mouth to speak and nothing came out.  I've never experienced being speechless before, strange feeling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal