Author Topic: Ocean Beach lowdown  (Read 5866 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Ocean Beach lowdown
« on: May 29, 2016, 09:57:07 PM »

Hey

So I'll be spending some time around Ocean Beach, CA the next few months. Anyone got some advice I need to consider.

Any rules or regulations? Are some spots more welcoming?
Btw: I've never surfed with a wetsuit or anything like that before,

Thx for any advice.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ocean Beach lowdown
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:40:24 PM »
I've been living in San Diego for a year now, and have surfed OB a handful of times.  Other SD locals can give you better intel than me, but I've never had any issues there. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:18:57 AM »
 :)
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 02:48:51 AM »
I've been living in San Diego for a year now, and have surfed OB a handful of times.  Other SD locals can give you better intel than me, but I've never had any issues there.

How are the waves? Style? Etc? Any other places around that are decent? I'm not particularly looking forward to a wetsuit..but what type do I need? 3/2? Something like that?

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 06:03:06 AM »
Which Ocean Beach?  San Diego or San Francisco?  If San Diego, the pier is probably your best bet as far as inside of OB itself. Dog Beach to the south (still part of OB) is a very popular and top notch surfing area but can be pretty aggressive and I never see anyone SUP at that particular break.  Another good bet is Sunset Cliffs to the north and more particularly Garbage (don't let the name scare you).  Outside of OB we'll, you're in San Diego so tons of surfing areas.  One thing you need to know about OB is it's a funky hippie beach neighborhood.  In the 60s it was San Diego's counter culture ground zero and the main center of SD's anti Vietnam war sentiment.  To this day it still is a main hippie center.  There are A LOT of homeless people there and it keeps growing.  The OB community is bitterly divided on how to deal with it.  The older (and even younger) hippies feel it is their civic duty to put with and tolerate it and other residents don't.  So yeah OB is a bit rough around the edges but that's what makes it OB.

Clemdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »
I live in San Diego and SUP surf OB quite often.  Its a great location with much aloha. I recommend parking near the restrooms at the South end of the Dog Beach parking lot, that way its an easy rinse off of you and your board in the outdoor showers, and you can set your board in the grass to dry while you pack up. I usually avoid the pier due to the crowded break, and surf closer to the stub jetty that separates Dog Beach from the rest of Ocean Beach. Couple years back when I was getting started SUP surfing, I shot these two videos of some great paddle surfers from that stub jetty to use as training videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUPeD7QcLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx8Kt5FyXQs

If the swell is coming from the south, a great wave forms along the long Jetty that forms on the North side of Dog Beach. You can get some great rides there, but you will get some occasional shite from the short boarders that hoard that wave.

Another great spot is Tourmaline Surf park at the north end of Pacific Beach, 5 minutes drive from OB.  Very much full of aloha.

Clem
Clem
San Diego
Naish 8'8 X32
Starboard 8'10 Wide Point
Starboard 9'5 Wide Point

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 12:43:09 PM »
The  chick is  my  friend  Lynn, and yes  she  is  a  great  SUPer and a  good  short boarder  too.
I SUP the Cliffs  every  time  there's  decent  surf and  like  it  better  than  the  beaches ,  but that's  just  me .  If  you  see  someone  on  a Sunova  it's  probably  me ,  so  be  sure  to  say  hi. enjoy 

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 01:48:47 PM »

Sorry guys..I was not aware (I guess I should have been) that there were more than one. I am talking about the one by San Fran. I heard there can be some nice breaks at the beach.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »

Sorry guys..I was not aware (I guess I should have been) that there were more than one. I am talking about the one by San Fran. I heard there can be some nice breaks at the beach.

Haha whoops!  Well, that's a whole different beast out in SF.  Heavy beach break often requiring gnarly paddle outs, very exposed to heavy Bay area winds so is un-surfable on many days... but can be epic too when conditions are clean.  And it can get HUGE in the winter, I've seen Maverick-size waves there before, no lie!   

Linda Mar in Pacifica is more protected & is the most popular spot in the area.  That's where I learned to surf.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:16:47 PM by Fog City Rider »
San Diego, CA

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 06:56:50 PM »

Holy Jbeezuz.  I've never surfed there, SUP or prone but that is a pretty hardcore break.  I have no idea what the vibe is like towards SUPers in the lineup and have never seen any, but that is a pretty hardcore victory at sea kind of wave.  Unless you last name is Lenny or Vaz, you might want to consider Pacifica just a bit south of SF.  I'm saying that only because I just could not imagine muscling a SUP board in those conditions, plus holding onto a paddle.  Then again, I have no idea of your abilities but I know I wouldn't do it. 

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 09:30:57 PM »
Reports I get from a friend that SUP's there a lot is that it's great fun on smaller days. Very crappy when the wind picks up and expert only anything over 5 feet. Lots of current. He's lost one paddle when it got ripped from his hands trying to get over a wave. No problems with others as the heavy current separates everyone in short order. Can get cold so booties and hood should be carried.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
Day of the Mavericks comp 2013, I was there watching that day.  BIG waves.  I surfed there 2 days prior, before the big stuff hit.  Still, it was pretty big & I wouldn't have gone out if I wasn't still a dumb newb who didn't know any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU5RfOzHrIo
San Diego, CA

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 07:00:53 AM »
Oooh so close to many good surf destinations. Hope you have a car.
Either direction can produce memories. One of my memories I can not get
ride of was going to Phinocio's New Years Eve on my honeymoon. Some experiences
are better not having had.

Hypothermia takes a while to set in. You will be alright for a while,
but Willie will hide like a turtle.

Localism    ask Clay. All the better spots has a few fine haters. Mostly
mouths flappin. Just tell them you have permission.

Have a good trip and get yourself something that has 4 3 thickness
before you go. If you have not figured out where to stay the zoo area
is near the beach and I have surfed good breaks there.  Bart connects
to areas in town so you can leave your car at the motel.

Another great memory would be fishing. Salmon season is open.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 07:57:55 AM »
Hi, welcomed to the SF area.

The good news is there are almost waves at OB.  Summer time there is also almost always onshore winds, usually it's a mess and no place for a SUP in the summer.  Linda Mar, Half Moon Bay, or Bolinas are much better options for summer surf, or make the drive south to the mecca.

No rules or regs, OB is pretty gnarly so it's self regulating.   :)

The bay is one of the windiest spots in the world, great place to get into downwinding.  Summer is the time, I can show you if you want go?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 02:43:10 PM »

Holy crap guys. How nice you all are.

So I don't mind wind since I also kiteboard.

When you say 5ft waves..I am assuming back of the wave as I 5ft doesn't seem to be that bad almost where ever it is. I'll take the advice and be careful. I am still deciding if I should bring a SUP or buy one when I get there...

I would love to do a downwinder for sure, but that would definitely be a bonus activity for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal