Author Topic: Sunova Acid - a beautiful high performance SUP  (Read 5272 times)

supthecreek

Sunova Acid - a beautiful high performance SUP
« on: May 29, 2016, 06:31:35 AM »
I have had my 9'4 Acid since March.
Good waves and video's just haven't gotten in sinc.

so.... I made a video with the only footage I have. Small waves.
Not great to show off how nice this board is.... but I gotta start somewhere  ;D

I had to get a 9'4 x 31.5.... because it is soooo foiled, that I can't go smaller.
Even at this size, my feet are wet.... the 136 liters float my 240 lbs, but the foil of the nose, tail and rails is such that I am pushing it a bit, even on a 9'4.

The board.... like most of Bert's boards is amazing.
I sound like a pimp... and I guess I am.... but by my choice, because he simply makes the best SUPs that I have ever ridden. Period. or I wouldn't be here. They are light, strong and affordable... and surf so fricking well.

There is a definite "cult" feeling among Sunova owners, that I never experienced in the many other brands I have owned and loved. The Sunova's change the playing field in such a nice way that you can't help but rave about them.... They have such a nice look and feel to them. We have our own groups that gravitate towards each other.... like a special bond.

Sappy I know.... but that's how it is... we are all friends..... All of us.

Anyway... more Sunova love here.
I worked my way up to the top spot..... the Sunova Acid.... and I am not let down.
My Speeed has taken the back seat, when conditions allow me to ride the Acid.

Longer by 6" than my 8'10 Speeed, about the same float and stability. I will get a 9'2 Speeed for rough conditions or winter.

Looser and more drivey than the Speeed.
Plant the back foot and go, the narrow tail lets me leave the back foot in one place.... no shifting around.

Pumping down the line is faster because the curvey rail line of the Acid allows quicker pumps than the straighter outline of the Speeed.

All of this is no surprise, since the Acid IS the performance standard in the Sunova line.

I am just glad that I can ride it..... it is more demanding than the Speeed, and requires a higher level of ability to ride it.
The Speeed makes everything easy, and the Acid will test you....
But, WOW.... what a board. I am happy now.

Maybe some day, I will have some vids of bigger juice... but for now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_4Y78uAgo

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova Acid - a beautiful high performance SUP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »
Nice STC! Kinda wish they made an acid with a bit more volume.  I'd really like to demo the skate as well.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
Hi Kliss... the very nature of the Acid as a high performance board, keeps it from being easy... that's what the other shapes are for. Bert used to have an Acid XL, but tweaked the Acid to be a bit more accommodating without giving up performance.

When I am in your neck of the woods, maybe you will get a chance to ride my 9'4... but you could handle the 9'1.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
Ken,

I hear tell of another Sunova Demo Tour soon here in nj
I'll keep you informed

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »
Rick, hope you make it down soon.

Jim, definitely let me know, thanks!
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

kipslide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
Great film STC ! It is always a pleasure to watch and read your stoke. You should win some kind of title because your words and film to back up are invaluable to a great many of us. I was on the fence between the flow or acid but now have decided on the 8'10" acid. I was able to demo the 8'10" flow in sloppy choppy conditions and was impressed. I now feel confident the acid will give me that carve and responsiveness I!m craving since my journey from prone to sup. Your ability on these boards just blows me away. May your drive and spirit never vane!
Dennis deLespinois 9'0" Redline
Dennis deLespinois 8'10" Speed
Dennis deLespinois 8'6" Surf
Sunova 8'10" Acid

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
Kicking up this old thread...

STC - Great video! You're ripping on Acid. I may be following in your footsteps again into the Acid. In the past your posts on the Zone led me into the Allwave and Prowave. Now I'm thinking about the Acid.

I'm looking at the 7'4" Acid @ 69L or 7'7" @ 74L. I'm currently on the Starboard Pro 7'7" @ 92L. I'm wondering if anyone has ridden any of these to compare.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
I registered last April of 2016. Somehow when I was looking for information on purchasing my second sup (my now sold Hobie was my first sup), I missed this video. Nice video and I'm glad to see SaMoSUP has resurrected the topic.

Those small waves are "bigger" than the waves I sup surf on down at Galveston, Texas. If supthecreek ever pays a visit to Galveston, I'd show him what "small waves" actually arel.  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal