Author Topic: Barbecue and grilling...  (Read 8670 times)

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Barbecue and grilling...
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »
Who here loves to barbecue?

I know the word can mean different things depending on where you live in the world or even US...

Here in Texas it means slow smoked meats, generally at low temps, though I know of some locals that make great Q smoking around 350 or so.

I tend to set my Traeger smoker around 220 depending on what I'm smoking.

I don't own a gas grill.

I've used traditional stick smokers, but eventually I decided that some convenience was worth a touch of authenticity.. so I picked up a used Traeger from the 90's... and that thing makes some great food.

I'd love to eventually get a ceramic outdoor oven like a Big Green Egg or one of the equivalents for some high heat cooking... steaks and pizza.. yum!

Anyway, what are you using? What do you smoke or grill?  How often? 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Barbecue and grilling...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »
I'm building a smoker like the ones used at the great barbeque joint in Austin. I forget the name of the place but they make the best brisket I've ever had. Anyway, I bought the book written by the guy to started it to learn how to build their smoker and I'm collecting a few condemned LP gas tanks to build my monster. Only problem is that you really need to do at least a couple briskets and maybe a pork shoulder and a turkey or two to make it worth firing one up, so I'm thinking beyond just playing around it's more of a party thing.

Other than that I've got a nice BBQ in the back yard in Hood River. Bought about five in Maui but they rot so fast I can't keep up with them. Even the cheap stainless most companies use won't stand up to Maui.

I do steaks and chicken on big blocks of Himalayan pink salt. Makes for a wicked steak once you learn to get the outside browned to get the maillard reaction going and then put it on the hot salt block.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:41:40 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
I'm guessing you are talking about either Franklin's or Mueller's....

I live close to a place in Pearland, Texas that rivals the great brisket at Franklin's.. some people prefer one over the other.. to me both are amazing.

My Traeger won't put out quite the amount of smoke that those stick smokers do, but it gets close and if you are smoking for more than four hours... at some point there just isn't any more smoke to really go into the meat.. you are just breaking the meat down by cooking low and slow from that point on!

http://partsolutions.com/engineering-the-perfect-wood-fire-smoker-pit-with-arron-franklin/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 02:47:26 PM »
Franklin is the one. Man, I can almost taste their Brisket. This is the book:https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecue-Meat-Smoking-Manifesto-Aaron-ebook/dp/B00N6PFBDW?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect

I slow-cook most meats. I've modified the thermostat on my oven so I can get down to 175. Prime rib slow cooked until the center reaches 175, and then browned with a  torch is magical. I also do a lot of sous vide, which has a similar effect. 

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »
I  got  a  salt  block  for  Xmas  but  haven't  used  it  yet ,  any  suggestions ?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:45:36 PM »
If you're going to use it on your barbeque pick a place that it's going to stay, If you move it much it will break up. Best way I found is one burner under the salt block, one to directly grill. Turn on both and let the block get hot while the grill warms. Sear whatever meat you want to cook on the bare grill, transfer to the salt block to finish cooking. Evverything I know about cell structure, biology, cooking and chemistry tells me the salt block will rip the juice out through osmotic pressure and leave the meat dry and testeless other than too much salt on the outside, but everything I know is wrong. Comes out super juicy and prefectly seasoned.

No idea why.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 09:19:53 PM »
Great... now I need a salt block.... ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »
You can used them chilled too for some candies and desserts. Chocolate or caramel dropped on an ice cold block firms up and picks up just the right amount of salt. I've done chocolate covered strawberries on a salt block too--good, but caramel is the best.

Lots of recipies and instructions on the web.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 07:54:41 AM »
Just got a new 3 burner Weber Friday. The control on the temperature is pretty amazing how precision it appears. FAR superior to anything I have ever had and I look forward to seeing what I can do with it. Worth the money over the $200-$300 grills I have had. I use a gas grill year round, even when the temps are around 0....which seems to be about half the year at times. I have started cooking roasts and turkey in it the last few years as well with good success and some mediocre to atrocious results as well.
Getting interested in the Traegers. Saw my first one a couple years ago. Lots of people really like them I know.
I had brought my smoker out a few weeks ago to remind me to use it this summer. Just a lower end one but I have been meaning to use it more and more for a few years and just haven't. Maybe I will keep more fish this summer. May end up with a Traeger before the snow flies.
Never thought I would like a gas grill over charcoal when I got my first one but darn if they aren't just so convenient.
Those Big Green Eggs are really something else. Pretty amazing. Guy across the street from me when I was a kid had brought one back from Japan and had that thing dialed in.
Yep, damn if I ain't going to get a salt block now.
Slow cooking and browning with a torch. Seen that somewhere before. I think I got to try that.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »
Just got a new 3 burner Weber Friday. The control on the temperature is pretty amazing how precision it appears. FAR superior to anything I have ever had and I look forward to seeing what I can do with it. Worth the money over the $200-$300 grills I have had. I use a gas grill year round, even when the temps are around 0....which seems to be about half the year at times. I have started cooking roasts and turkey in it the last few years as well with good success and some mediocre to atrocious results as well.
Getting interested in the Traegers. Saw my first one a couple years ago. Lots of people really like them I know.
I had brought my smoker out a few weeks ago to remind me to use it this summer. Just a lower end one but I have been meaning to use it more and more for a few years and just haven't. Maybe I will keep more fish this summer. May end up with a Traeger before the snow flies.
Never thought I would like a gas grill over charcoal when I got my first one but darn if they aren't just so convenient.
Those Big Green Eggs are really something else. Pretty amazing. Guy across the street from me when I was a kid had brought one back from Japan and had that thing dialed in.
Yep, damn if I ain't going to get a salt block now.
Slow cooking and browning with a torch. Seen that somewhere before. I think I got to try that.

If I pull the trigger on a new pellet grill it might be a Green Mountain Pellet Grill. They have some pretty amazing features that Traeger is just starting to incorporate.

Prices are pretty similar.

Both are made overseas now.

They are just a super convenient way to smoke meat and the results are great.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:27:44 AM by ford »

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 08:52:21 AM »
Love BBQ and grilling in most all forms.

Charcoal primarily, gas only for quick items such as chicken breast, dogs, maybe burgers if I'm in a hurry.

As for smoking, the Orion is a great unit for convenience and ease of use. Light the coals, walk away and it's done in three hours. It's actually a charcoal heated broiler that you add hickory or other chips to for flavor. It's a bit of a nuisance to clean, and if you live near salt water, they only last a couple of years, but I've enjoyed the two that I have owned.

Hmm, I'm thinking BBQ chicken for dinner tonight.

This morning's marathon session has me starving. Hope the rest of you US SE coasters got some.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm guessing you are talking about either Franklin's or Mueller's....

I live close to a place in Pearland, Texas that rivals the great brisket at Franklin's.. some people prefer one over the other.. to me both are amazing.

My Traeger won't put out quite the amount of smoke that those stick smokers do, but it gets close and if you are smoking for more than four hours... at some point there just isn't any more smoke to really go into the meat.. you are just breaking the meat down by cooking low and slow from that point on!

http://partsolutions.com/engineering-the-perfect-wood-fire-smoker-pit-with-arron-franklin/

If you have the time, this is really worth wathing. It is around 25 minutes. I have a lot of respect for Franklin as he is actually building his own smokers. The guy is an expert. He has a cool personality also.

also at the end he is drinking a Hans Pils from Real Ale out of Blanco, Texas. A great beer!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:56:57 AM by ford »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
bbq some  chicken  with  the  salt  block  last  night  and  not  only  was  it  great , it  was  simply .  Most  recipes  I  got  made  it  sound  really  complicated . PBs instructions  to  start  on  the  grill  and  finish  on  the  block  was  easy .

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 05:02:13 PM »
I'm building a smoker like the ones used at the great barbeque joint in Austin. I forget the name of the place but they make the best brisket I've ever had. Anyway, I bought the book written by the guy to started it to learn how to build their smoker and I'm collecting a few condemned LP gas tanks to build my monster. Only problem is that you really need to do at least a couple briskets and maybe a pork shoulder and a turkey or two to make it worth firing one up, so I'm thinking beyond just playing around it's more of a party thing.

Other than that I've got a nice BBQ in the back yard in Hood River. Bought about five in Maui but they rot so fast I can't keep up with them. Even the cheap stainless most companies use won't stand up to Maui.

I do steaks and chicken on big blocks of Himalayan pink salt. Makes for a wicked steak once you learn to get the outside browned to get the maillard reaction going and then put it on the hot salt block.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365513482/

You can watch him make a smoker on PBS.  Still haven't tried Franklin's.  No time to wait in line.  I want to make a whole pig roaster.  Open pit.  Lechon is what I want.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »
This is GREAT, keep this thread going, it's important stuff, even socialital, if that's a word.  My wife says that my BBQ'ing has plateaued, and I have to agree.  Love Q'ing tri-tips, split fryers, pork roasts, stuff like that, but I cook too fast out of convenience, people like it, but I know it could be better, much better.
I have no questions, some are already being answered, lower and slower seems a direction I need to go, even though I don't char/burn the outside.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal