Author Topic: First timers need help  (Read 4053 times)

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First timers need help
« on: May 28, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »
Sorry for posting the same thing in two forums but I wasn't generating any responses in the gear section.

Hello folks! My wife and myself are wanting paddleboard to go along with our kayaks. I'm trying to find quality boards that we won't out grow quickly. I'm not one for "starter" stuff that I'll regret later. I found a decent board on craigslist. It's a 14'x27"x5.5" GUSU board out of destin, fl, not sure if yall heard of them. I talked to the lady that owns it and she said they told her it wouldn't do well for anyone over 190lbs. That rules me out but my wife is only 130lbs. My question is how much tougher on a first time user will it be to learn on a long narrow board like this? I know it may not be ideal but it will be nice for her to have something that moves the way I'm sure this board will in the water. I paddle a chesapeake 17 ft kayak with a 24" beam and I know how much less effort it takes to move it across a rough bay vs a 30" hobie. I'm assuming the same for a paddleboard and I'm sure you guys will correct me if I'm wrong. We will mostly be playing at the beach but there will be some bay crossings here in panama city to shell island and crooked island. All crossings less than or right at a mile. I do want us to be able to do some cruising though. I can do 5 miles in my yak effortlessly with no soreness. What kind of range can I expect to have on a SUP? Is a 5 mile cruise considered a long trip or just a walk in the park? Thanks for any info.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First timers need help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:14:58 AM »
Have you gone to your local SUP shop and done some test rides? I did that before I purchased my 1st board and a few inches makes a huge huge difference. I wanted to be more comfortable vs slightly faster so I chose 33" wide for my board. All I can say is it's extremely stable in All conditions. You really have to try to fall off it.

Definitely try 4 or 5 different sizes 1st.

Dave

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »
I agree with trying as many different sizes if you can. Also, board design and length play a major role. My brother in law and sister found my Naish Glide 14 x 29 more stable than their rental Bic Ace Tec 12'6" x 30 and both boards are approximately the same volume. As far as design goes, I can confidently say that a board like the Bic 12'6" feels like a pool toy and is much harder to paddle in rough open water conditions compared to the 14 x 29' Glide, and many other boards designed to do well in open water paddling conditions. So, given that you will be doing some open water crossings, it would be worth your time to research boards that cope reasonably well in rougher water.

I wouldn't rule out narrower boards either. Not sure how much you weigh, but something like the Amundson TRX- 14 x 27.5" is very stable, and a 200 pound beginner to intermediate paddler can hop on one and be pretty comfortable right away. Other brands make boards that are reportedly quite stable for being under 30" wide. Starboard AllStar 14 x 27 to 28, Lahui Kai 14 x 27.75 etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
14 X 27 isn't all that narrow. You might find it a bit of a handful, but your wife would probably think it's a dock. My first board when I started doing SUP at 255 pounds was a 12'2 X 26" with a desgn that's inherently unstable. I fell a zillion times, but eventually mastered it, and that became my favorite all-around board. The one board I'd have if I could only have one. Given your stated preference for a board you won't outgrow quickly, I'd say go ahead and demo, but don't just pick the one that feels the most comfortable. As long as you don't mind being a kook for a while you shouldn't choose a board just based on sufficient immediate stability. Pick one that suits what you want to do and pay your dues.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:39:49 AM »
+1 demo if possible, find a board you can grow into. I know nothing about the Gusu's but it sounds to me like that board might actually work for you depending on the design and just how close to 190 you are. I wouldn't go just on what she says the shop said either. Depends on how good the shop is and if she remembers correctly. If I was even close to 200 a 14 x 27 x 5.5 would be very doable. I have balance problems and my goto distance board is 14 x 28 x 5.5 and I haven't seen 200 since I was 15.... :P.

A mile is nothing, 5 just a warmup. Just make sure you watch the weather on the offshore island trips....enough wind can make a mile a long way.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:43:18 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »
http://panamacity.craigslist.org/spo/5595887435.html

Here is the board, http://panamacity.craigslist.org/spo/5595887435.htm , it's been up awhile and I think I could get it for even 650. Just wanted to try to drum up some more info from you guys. I'm 220 now but I usually hang around 212 with a goal weight of 207. Do you think I could ride that board comfortably with practice?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 03:01:37 PM »
Price seems appealing if it is in good condition.

Ask the seller if she can meet you and your wife to demo the board somewhere.  If she wants to sell she will.  Have bought 2 of our boards that way - and have tried others as well.  Nothing like testing firsthand.

As a first board for my wife - a 27 like that would have been too narrow.  She would have had too much trouble balancing and having fun.  So I got her a 30 pintail which she and I still use all the time.  After a year of time on the water - she was fine and confident on our 27s.

Granted we do not ever paddle flat water in the ocean.  And often paddle in fairly rough choppy water - with wind current and big boat wakes.

So it might be ok for your wife on flat if she had good balance - but she may have trouble in chop and wind.  We consider 5 miles in the ocean a "normal" distance to paddle.  And do this all the time without any soreness.  But often no one else round here does that - except maybe one of my DW buddies.

For me as a lightweight paddler - a 27.5 race board starting out was perfectly fine and plenty stable.  It was kinda like a speedy rolly dock.  For you at 220 - that board might be a tad tippy.  But only you will know once you try it.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »
Problem with me demoing is that I'm a stone cold beginner. I fell off of a 10'6x 32 rental board all day on the beach when we rented one a few weeks ago for the first time. It was rough that day though. I don't mind learning on a more difficult board. I just don't want a experienced paddler to come up once I've bought it and say " Jesus christ dude there is no way some one your size can ride that board!". Because being new Im not going to realize whether it's me or the board or both that's causing a problem. Knowing myself and preferences though I know I want a board that can cover some distance and is fun to get wound up fast. That's why I don't mind learning on a more difficult board. As far as my original post, my wife doesn't want the gusu, she wants a shorter wide ride like what she rented. This board will be for me.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
As a stone cold beginner - all of us started out that way at some point.

As a point of reference - I started on that 27.5 many years ago - and think I've fallen off it once total - in some pretty harsh cross chop a couple of miles off-shore after getting somewhat exhausted fighting the wind and waves.  That was when I first started.

If you are falling all day off a 10'6 x 32 rental in the rough - that 27 will really toss you in the same conditions.  So go for that demo.  You will conclude it is either you - or the board - or both.  My guess based on what you say - is that it will be too tippy.

If you said the rental was no problem - then the 27 might be perfectly ok.  But please do demo if you can.  If you can paddle without any balance checks on flat - you might be ok with time on the water - when it inevitably gets a lot rougher.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
I'm probably going to make a offer on it. If I get it that cheap and it doesn't work out I can probably trade it.  Not to mention if I get my wife on it she may love it. She just thinks it looks boyish......women.

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 05:44:47 PM »
Offered 625. It they accept that I'll do the deal. One reason we decided to get into kayaking/suping was to have fun ways to exercise instead of just going to the gym. If it's too much to handle I'll at least get plenty of exercise falling off and climbing back on!

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
http://panamacity.craigslist.org/spo/5583150618.html

What about this boga el rey. Is it a decent board for this price, $750? My offer wasn't accepted for the gusu, probably for the better.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 11:33:44 AM »
Dimensions on the BOGA would make it stable as a dock...but it's not going to deliver the speed you were referring to up above.  Also gonna be big and heavy--not sure what to make of the podium finishes the seller is referring to but I'd love to know what everyone else was paddling.

If the GUSU is still available I think it'd be a good deal for $700.  I go about 205-210 and paddle a 27" board on the open ocean every morning.  Actually thinking of dropping down to about 25" on my next one.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 06:29:57 PM »
Ok the same guy with the el rey has this boga mahina for my wife.  http://panamacity.craigslist.org/spo/5583168749.html  I can probably get both for 1200- 1300.  But.......

This starboard elite for 499 just hit craigslist. Come on guys, help me out.

http://panamacity.craigslist.org/spo/5634086272.html

What do yall think.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 06:56:03 PM »
I like that Boga board. I think that would work well for your wife.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal