Author Topic: Introduction with questions  (Read 1969 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Introduction with questions
« on: May 27, 2016, 02:53:31 PM »
Hello forum,

Just wanted introduce myself briefly and get some help.
 My name is Kirill, came here with surfing background (not much though, still consider myself a beginner). Ocean enthusiast with passion for all things salt water ( surfing, sailing, fishing, beach walking with dog etc) and responsible relationship with environment.
 We just moved to Boston's north shore and I'm enjoying being close to Broad Sound (Boston's north shore) but not a luck of waves lol. I'm thinking to add stand up to the list of my activities as the bay is calling. I'm 6 ft around 205 lbs and hope to use paddling as way to drop some weight.  I use to live on the lake and had old Mistral windsurfer used as SUP board..While it was OK for paddling on lake, I don't think I would want to go out on that thing in open water. Meanwhile I own 12 footer Munoz ad I know some of you guys started with this board (well, at least it's what I read in one topic originated in 2008 http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1186.0 lol. curious if anyone who posted there still around). I know it's not SUP board but I'm not in a position to splurge on SUP right now...but really want to get on the water. I'm entertaining the idea to get the paddle and try Munoz. I'm not  interested in surfing waves on SUP but more distance runs along the coast on days when it flat/choppy/basically when there is no surfing lol. and since we are in Boston harbor  its pretty much every day haha.

so what you guys think?
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Introduction with questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:09:43 PM »
Paddle it. If you know Mickey, you know he's a little guy. My 13 yr old son looks like Goliath next to him. That 12'r is like an unlimited to Mickey. It will build your paddling skills quickly. At almost 150 liters it should be enough volume for you. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
Welcome to the zone and Boston. No idea if the Munoz will work for you but give it a shot. Take the summer to work on it and then start looking for a deal at the end of the season. Shops start selling their rental and demo boards as do folks that try it and decide it's not for them. Always a spike in used inventory in the fall. Take the time to demo whenever the opportunity presents. When the time does come to pull the trigger you'll have a better idea of what board will work best for you.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
I'm 240 and I've paddled the ancient Munoz 12 a bit. It's tippy, but you'll learn. Surfs very well, and it fun. A lot like my all time favorite board, the SIC Ku Nalu which is also the Starboard 12'2" X 26. It's actually tippier than a Mickey but doesn't surf quite as well. It just takes time and patience to master these boards. As I was trying to say in the thread asking about length to width ratios, as long as you catch the roll early, a long narrow board is no tippier than a wider board. It's just that the wide board gets more stable as it tips further, whereas narrow boards start to get less stable as they roll further. Get used to making quick corrections and you'll be fine. It's just sea legs.

Oh, and don't ever sell the Munoz. You probably won't get another.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »
Thank you guys!

I was little afraid that feedback would be opposite since stand up grew so much in popularity and so many boards available.. Going to get a paddle and give it a try.
One more question: water is getting warmer and when you paddle you "mostly" staying out of water but... should I wear wetsuite these days? Have a 3/2...

thanks again..

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:21:59 AM »
I started paddling on a Kona windsurfer. If you can get started on something an build some skills, then that's good. Then when you're ready to buy something, Stoneaxe's advice is great.

In terms of the wetsuit, you've got to be sure you're safe. I ditch mine when the water gets about 60ºF, but my balance is good and I can go three or four sessions without falling. If you're beginning and falling a lot, I'd say wear the suit. The water can get pretty cold up there. After a couple of sessions, you'll be able to decide what's right for you.

Welcome to the Zone!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:09:24 AM »
Welcome to the Zone.

As for wetsuit, when in doubt just wear it. worse case scenario, you're getting overheated, open the neck seal and go in the water. After your first session you can asses how much time you'll spend in the water.

The thumb rule says, when the combined water temp and air temp is 120F you can ditch the wetsuit. obviously the idea is that water temp is around 60 and air temp is 60. If the water temp is 55 or under, I would still wear my wetsuit
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal