Author Topic: Your thoughts on some different Touring boards  (Read 5894 times)

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Your thoughts on some different Touring boards
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »
Post is long, but I like to write..sorry!

It is basically impossible for me to demo any good touring boards. We just don't have any good independent type surf/kayak/sup type shops here in Houston.

So I research and read and look around. Will mainly be on fairly calm flatwater... lake, bayou type areas and sometimes some bay areas... I'm sure I'd try around Galveston beach at some point but that would be rare. Max budget is really around 1500.. BUT I'd like to get a new better paddle and I'll need some other accessories to go with it, like topless board cover, another leash, probably some RSPro rail tape..etc. So the more I can stay under the top of the budget the more I have for the other things.

I've narrowed it down to a handful or so of choices. I weigh over 250 currently but am steadily dropping. This new board should help me drop more...

Fanatic Ray Pure 12'    I spoke with JimK about this and he's offered me a nice deal, but it still hits the top of the budget once shipping comes into play. There are also some NOS Rays out there for two or three hundred less that I've seen, but I don't know if there are any big differences between the 2013 and 2016 models.

Boardworks Raven 12'6     There are some decent discounts out there this weekend on these and reviews are good overall. I believe some people here own or have tried them at least. Two or three hundred under budget with Memorial sales going on. They seem to be a popular board.

Lakeshore River Rover 14'   Man. Anytime I see a board this big it just seems gigantic. I love the reviews I've read, but man, I think I would prefer to stay a foot and a half shorter. I think. There are some nice Memorial weekend discounts out there also, making it three hundred under budget.  I believe there are a couple of members who own one.

Pop Paddleboards Americana   12'    There aren't any real reviews out there, though the company seems to have a good reputation. The board looks great and with Memorial day discounts it really comes in under budget. I haven't read anything bad about them and they seem to fit what I could use. Their looks is great also.

Isle Phantom Touring  12'6"   I guess they sell direct for the most part. They are having a big sale for Memorial Day weekend and the board is way under budget. Again, I don't know much about the company and that always concerns me.

I think the last two companies do a lot of rental sales and there isn't anything wrong with that but I guess it also gives off the indication of maybe being less well made? Of course my only current board is a SUPAtx and they do lots of direct sales and rental boards and it has been fine.

All of these boards have lots of volume.

So anyway, if you have an opinion any direction let me know.

I'm to the point of analyzing paralysis... I generally prefer to buy the best I can, but that is easier to do when you can try stuff out before you buy. In my case it just isn't a real possibility. Fanatics aren't sold anywhere down here. Boardworks are sold in big stores like West Marine or REI I think.  No dealers for Lakeshore or Pop or ISLE either.

No good used touring boards on craigslist 

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Re: Your thoughts on some different Touring boards
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:45:34 PM »
How about do an Austin sup-shopping weekend getaway and check out the shops there to see what they have? Sup ATX and Lahui Kai have some good touring boards and I think they're based in Austin. You might even be able to demo before you buy.

My only other recommendation is don't be afraid of a 14 footer, especially as a bigger guy. The extra 1.5 feet don't make much difference when it comes to transport and ease of use, but they do make a (good) difference when it comes to speed and stability.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »
Thanks for the 14' information. I just checked in my garage and it really isn't that much more room taken up than a 12'6". It will almost be as long as my car I think...ha. Well not quite that long.

From looking online there is only one SupATX touring board worth checking out. All of the Lahui Kai boards are narrower than I want. I'm not going to be doing any racing anytime soon.. if ever.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 03:23:29 PM »
Not sure if I will add anything that won't add to the paralysis and I have not paddled any of them so maybe I shouldn't comment but I know the River Rover has always interested me. I am 200-220 depending on what year and 14 footers have always caught my eye. They are sold in the big Scheels stores out west here which is kind of a cross between Cabelas and Dicks if that makes sense. Lakeshore is a local company to where I have family and have spent lots of time also so partial to them that way as well.
The Raven interested me much at one time but seems something was said here about it once, not particularly bad but it turned me from looking anymore at them. Something with how it compared to another board. They are sold near me and have seen them on tops of lots of cars around here......which is landlocked and miles inland so they are popular and have lots of fans.
Jim K won't steer you wrong and I have got a Fanatic inflatable from him I like real well.
Pau Hana might be something to look at as well?
The Isle sounds like the price alone may be worth nabbing it for?
Any of those will get you out on the water and it ain't going to be your last board. Go lower cost this time with what interests you the most and get the best paddle you can? Boards catch my eye and turn me far easier than paddles it seems.
I think it's Robon that knows both the Raven and River Rover so hopefully he sees this.
Have fun and good luck. Let us know what you end up getting and how you like it.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »
I've been paddling a Bark Eliminator and it's been great for me, I'm 250 right now and can paddle it in ocean chop pretty well.
I'd check out the Boardworks Great Bear as well, looks like a great big boy board.
I agree with the 14 foot statement, just skip the 12'6.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
I was checking out the River Rover a couple years ago and I believe it was the first version. Not enough time on it  to give a proper review except that it suits a bigger paddler and is very stable. Good inland option with a lot of positive reviews behind it. As mentioned, a 14' at your size is worth considering.

The Raven and Great Bear have a lot of volume for 12'6" boards and both will work for you. The Great Bear is even more stable than the Raven, can float more weight, and is more capable in rough water. Tie downs in the back as well. The Great Bear is also marked down by some retailers. Good luck and post up what you decide on.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 09:10:26 PM »
Well REI now isn't selling the River Rover.. I guess they ran out of stock. They had it at a nice price. I was too slow it seems.

The Great Bear 14' is running around 1599-1699 plus shipping online from what I can see. MSRP is 1,999.

Any great Boardworks or Lakeshore dealers out there? Especially any that might be running specials this weekend.

I haven't ruled out the Fanatic yet either from JimK.

The Isle doesn't excite me much and they say it is 39 pounds for the 12'6"... wow. That is the heaviest board I've seen that size. I don't think I want that. The River Rover was only listed at 35 pounds for 14'.

If I decide to go for the lower priced model then I'll probably pick up the Pop Americana. It would be around 900 shipped and give me space to get a bag, improved paddle and another accessory or two. I do love the look of the board.. either color scheme.

floridave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 02:54:57 AM »
That's strange on the RiverRover from REI.   I just got one from them and love the board, but now see it's not on the site.

I only have a couple paddles on it but it's going to be perfect for my solo adventures.    I only considered 14 foot boards, but I paddle a 18 foot kayak also.      I did email back and forth with Lakeshore owner and found them responsive.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:05:16 AM by floridave »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 06:53:17 AM »
I like the sense of humor of the POP guys. Don't know anything about the products other than I agree with you on colors--pretty nice. Price is hard to beat. With a 20 oz carbon paddle tossed in, you're down in the costco range with a better paddle than costco provides.

The only problem with going cheap is that this sport gets under your skin. It can be a lot more expensive to buy something you're not happy with for a couple of years. But for inland touring I don't see anything about the POP offering that turns me off. Break the paralysis and get rolling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 07:15:06 AM »
I like the sense of humor of the POP guys. Don't know anything about the products other than I agree with you on colors--pretty nice. Price is hard to beat. With a 20 oz carbon paddle tossed in, you're down in the costco range with a better paddle than costco provides.

The only problem with going cheap is that this sport gets under your skin. It can be a lot more expensive to buy something you're not happy with for a couple of years. But for inland touring I don't see anything about the POP offering that turns me off. Break the paralysis and get rolling.

I just had a similar conversation with my wife, aka the CEO. I'm not an elite paddler by any means and it seems like it will do everything I need it to where I need it to.

So yes, I'm going to go order the green, cream and orange Americana. My daughter broke the tie on color. I guess her red hair led her to the Irish colors.

Thanks for the opinions and help. I'll start a thread on the board once I have it and update it over the next couple of years to see how it holds up and performs.

Cheers.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
I'd like to give a shoutout to JimK and his customer service and help via email. He's someone I'd certainly like to buy from in the future.

Also, Lakeshore got back to me after I asked a couple of questions and talked about REI being out of stock.. they said REI has been selling them fast.. AND then they offered to sell me one for the same price plus shipping.

I'd already purchased another board and I think it was the right decision for now, but when I decide to pick up a 14 footer, I'll talk with them first. Great reviews and great customer service make me happy.

JakeSupNC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
Knowing that you already got a board.......still make the trip to Austin. The lake is a great paddle and watching the bats fly out of the bridge at dusk from a paddle board is well worth the trip. They have a few pretty cool races there as well, very chill. Austin kicks butt. Check out Austin Paddle Sports, they were very cool when I was there. SUPATX guys were cool, too.

Boards in Houston.......Aside from ACK and REI, there is also a sailing shop in Seabrook on Nasa parkway that used to (and may still) stock Boardworks. I bought my first board ever (NSP) from Soundwaves in Clear lake, I think that one closed and there is only the one downtown, they may still have some stuff. Also +1 for JimK. I bought a Fanatic Allwave from him a few years back and it was a solid deal.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 06:29:24 AM »
Jake,

Thanks for the information.

I'll certainly make a trip to Austin to paddle and I'll check out their shops while I'm there. I just don't have any time in the upcoming month to do it. Probably in July.

Sadly there is only one Soundwaves now. 

I went by Austin Kayak and REI but they had nothing in stock except a couple of all arounds each.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »
My only other recommendation is don't be afraid of a 14 footer, especially as a bigger guy. The extra 1.5 feet don't make much difference when it comes to transport and ease of use...

Don't believe this; a 14' is much more unwielding, especially if you have to deal with tight quarters.

I generally prefer to buy the best I can...

Then, don't mess around and get the best quality board on your list, the Fanatic.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 09:15:29 AM »
My only other recommendation is don't be afraid of a 14 footer, especially as a bigger guy. The extra 1.5 feet don't make much difference when it comes to transport and ease of use...

Don't believe this; a 14' is much more unwielding, especially if you have to deal with tight quarters.

I generally prefer to buy the best I can...

Then, don't mess around and get the best quality board on your list, the Fanatic.

I think the OP already bought a board. I think he got the Pop Paddleboards Americana   12' that was in his original list.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal