Author Topic: JP 8'2" Pro  (Read 2161 times)

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
JP 8'2" Pro
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:41:03 AM »
Thought I'd share my, first ride, impressions of this board.  I'm 6' 185lbs, and fit, and this board at 28" wide and 101 liters is on the small side for me, and at a tick over 14lbs...whispy light.  I find that the smaller the board, the quicker and snappier the ride can be, and I'm enjoying that type of surfing right now.
          I paddled it out in cleanish, shoulder to head high waves of the spilling variety, but they steepened nicely on the inside. I was surprised at how stable the board felt paddling out, and that though much of the board was sub surface, it paddled quickly, the nose always above the waterline. It was much easier to get through the breakers than a wider nosed board with more liters I had ridden earlier in the day, the lack of volume and sharper nose happy to cut/sink through the wave. It's fast paddle speed allowed it to pick up waves easily, and like most JP's it felt fast on the wave, but this one felt slippery fast!  Fast and super responsive, but in control. I rode a succession of really fun waves and the board took no time to feel natural under my feet, it seemed to elevate my surfing.  A quick jump to surf stance, slide the rear foot to the stomper, and instant perfomance!!! I was making snappier turns, throwing more spray and having more fun than I have had in a while.
           Fatigue:  Well, for me, a board of this size is a lot of fun...until I start to get tired.  Full of energy, stoke, and with my concentration at full value I have no problem staying upright.  After riding multiple waves, in succession for an hour or so, and losing some of that energy and concentration....splash.  For me, this board is part of a quiver.  Ride it hard for a session, and take a break....or come in a get something a bit more sedate. 
           How does it compare to other boards I've ridden recently:
F-One 7'11"x28" 95 liter pro-  The JP felt more stable than this board, and is lighter. Performance wise, the JP feels more refined, quicker.

Starboard 8x29 pro 111 liter- This isn't a great comparison because the starboard has more liters and width. This starboard feels big and slow side by side with the JP. The starboard also sat higher(obviously) in the water and felt corky and while it's initial stability was descent, it's secondary stability wasn't as good.

JP 7'6"x29 Slate 115 liter- The 8'2" pro is a faster paddler, but much less stable than the Slate. That Slate feels pretty stable compared to most of the boards I ride. The slate fast on the wave, but not as snappy in the turns, it's volume slowing it's ability to change directions as quickly.

JP 7'2"x28 Slate 103 liter- The 8'2" pro is a much faster paddler, but the little slate is considerably more stable. The Slate fast and snappy on the wave, but not as surgical in it's turns. The slate a bit more forgiving and better on a less powerful wave. The 8'2" pro easier to paddle into a wave due to it's paddle speed.

I give the board a good testing on the more powerful waves of Hatteras and chime back in later.

supthecreek

Re: JP 8'2" Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:56:05 AM »
Nice insight into the 8'2 JP Pro.
I like those shapes and agree with the surfability, although I have to ride a much bigger board than you.... like, not even on the same planet, bigger  :)

I appreciate the remarks relative to boards of comparatively similar sizes.... stuff like that, is info people can use to cross reference to boards they may have experience with. 

Knowing how well you surf, makes the info just that much better.

I hope to hook up with you folks for a session or two this summer!

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »
Hey Creekster,

Long time, no see.  Love to get a session in with you before we migrate to Hatteras for the season, I'll contact you the next time we're in your sphere of surf.

shorbraik

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 03:02:30 AM »
Hey all,  first post for me. First forum joined as well.  Been browsing posts for here for a while though.. love the forum.  Jarvissup I just picked up an 8-2 pro about a month ago.  What a great board.  I am 5-8 118 lbs, so this is really not such a small board for me.  Windsurfing since 1987 I always loved wave sailing, but had to deal with the rig on the wave face.  A couple years ago a friend brought a sup down to the beach and I tried the 10-6 or so board in a knee high swell.  Loved the freedom of it.  Since then I started with a 9-4 walden- catches everything.  Stepped down to a jp 8-10 pro and had a great summer on it last year.  Bought my son a used 2013 jp 8-6 surf, he is 105 lbs now.  The 8-2 pro is so much easier to get through the break than my 8-10.  I was thinking that it might be harder with less volume but that does seem to help cut through and submerge a bit instead of bouncing over.  This is the first board that I have felt like I can get to the stomp without running back-- my foot just kinda ends up there.  I have since been to a demo day and tried the 7-6 pro which I had a blast on, so in a few days I will be proud owner.  I took the 8-2 to the demo day to compare in the thigh to waist high swell and just spent the whole time on the 7-6.  You are right about the fatigue limiting the session a bit but SO worth it to be able to slash on the wave face.  The lack of fin cant and toe really make for a fast board for their size. 

Enjoy yours

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 03:16:45 AM »
Well written and informative review.

Thanks for passing this along.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest