Should the Hot Chicks On SUP be kept or killed

Keep
60 (61.2%)
Kill
31 (31.6%)
Don't care
7 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Hot Chicks On SUP-Keep or kill  (Read 21642 times)

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hot Chicks On SUP-Keep or kill
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 06:47:58 AM »
Here's a perspective. Google "retro surfing" images or something similar and you'll find bikini clad sisters, both posing and surfing, as far back as cameras were brought to beaches. It's kind of an integral part of the culture. So it's a little disingenuous to say it doesn't belong on this site at all. I advocate for tasteful.   

yeah

Some of you need to get out and travel the worlds beaches a little more. What goes on real-world on public beaches makes the hot chick thread look pretty conservative.

I am going to have disagree Yugi. Clothing optional and nude  beaches are places where people can enjoy getting away from as many constraints as possible including being objectified and judged. If you are at a nude or clothing optional beach and are objectifying and or having an erotic experience you may have traveled the world but did not take much in. And I think it is the same thing with the HCT if you are posting a purposely erotic, surf image in good taste I am all for it. When it devolves into a place where women's bodies are tarnished for being women then that sucks. 

How about create a new category  "men behaving badly" with a warning and then those in favor can go there and feel bad about themselves-hopefully.
New England Is My Playground

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 07:52:26 AM »
Agreeing, as a community, to take down the HC thread isn't censorship.  Its simply being a community.  Arguing that a minority is trying to ram censorship down HC fans's throats is as disingenuous as arguing that the HC thread is being rammed down its detractors' throats.  We know we can ignore it (to some degree/ie, its still on the recent posts feed).  Obviously the HC thread haters can't take it off the site.  But we can say we think the site would be better without it.  The poll is a great way for us to see where we stand as a community.  Now HC supporters know that one third of us think its inappropriate.  Thats a sizable group. 

I think the HC thread could have gone in another direction and from an ironic, edgy title really done a lot for both the sport, the site and advancing a strong, positive image of women.  In fact, there are tons of great photos on the thread that are in that spirit.  But there are also tons that aren't: that have nothing to do with the sport of SUP, that cheapen the brand of the Zone, and that are hurtful and blatantly sexist.  One way to keep the HC thread within more broadly acceptable bounds would be for Admin to censor the content of the thread more aggressively.  I doubt he wants to spend his time doing that, and that wouldn't really solve the issue.  One person's tasteful image of a healthy, confident woman is another person's image of an oppressed victim.   
Scroll to the top of the page and you will read, "We would love your participation in building a strong, global, online Stand Up Paddle Surfing community."  That's what we are trying to do. 

I don't know anything about website hosting or how to run a forum.  I wonder if it would be easy to have a simple opt-in on the home page where you could click to view an uncensored version of the site?  If a thread was marked as offensive by a certain threshold of viewers, it would only be seen by people who clicked the "uncensored" opt-in.  Much like some video games have gore and language filters.  Then folks could really let their imaginations run wild :P

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »
Reading between the lines here I get the feeling something happened that precipitated this poll. Was there some spat on the Hot Chicks thread? Perhaps more SUPing and less posting is in order. Just a suggestion.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »
Unless I'm reading the SUPers responding negatively to the thread incorrectly, but at least speaking for just myself....it's NOT about the pictures, never has been.  It's about the crude, rude, derogatory, sometimes even disgusting, insulting comments attached to the picture(s) or some of the posts that follow it (especially when those comments are towards those who are known to be, or appear to be minors/children).

The human body is a remarkable thing....beautiful in shape, miraculous in function in both its female, and male versions....and should indeed be celebrated visually and verbally.

So while I was (and still am) very supportive of the women's opinions wrt that thread, and their displeasure that it be allowed to remain; I personally have no problem if it stays....as long as....it is a celebration of the female form (no matter of the various beautiful shapes and sizes that it comes in), and NOT a place where inappropriate comments accompany the picture, or are in any part of the replies to it.

Just my take on it,
Sano

PS.  Btw, if you don't know what "inappropriate comments" are, try this:  If you wouldn't say it about your wife's, mother's, grandmother's, female boss, or especially your teenage daughter's body, to her face....don't post it here.   It really shouldn't be that difficult boys...a slight moment of thought, and reflection of what someone else might think of you for what you're about to say, goes a long way before hitting the "Post" button.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:32:02 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2016, 09:57:33 AM »
How about create a new category  "men behaving badly" with a warning and then those in favor can go there and feel bad about themselves-hopefully.

Easy to do NEPlay--start a thread called "Men Behaving Badly". HCOSUP is NOT a category, it's a thread in the Random category, and anyone can create any thread title they like, as long as it meets admin's pretty reasonable guidelines.

And of course, instead of taking Admin's time to censor the site or yell at people making inappropriate comments, anyone can do that, and anyone can report a comment they think is inappropriate.

What people opposed to the thread have been asking for is for a popular thread to be deleted because they don't like it. There are options available that few people (maybe no one) takes advantage of. I have to wonder how people know there are inappropriate comments unless they actually look at the content? I had to go back and search for some of the comments people compained about. Never saw them. Didn't like them when I did, but HCOSUP has never been my favorite thread.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:07:47 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »
Well I thought it was inappropriate when a man nearly 70 years old posted a picture of a 15 year old schoolgirl on that thread. The sexualisation of minors is a worrying trend in our society IMO. So if there are going to be guidelines for that thread in lieu of removing it, then I think they should include guidance relating to the age of the person being shown.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »
I am not necessarily a fan of the HC thread.  I am however a fan of DATA.

I took 5 minutes to sort the Views and Replies on the General thread (top 20).  The writing is already on the wall with regards to interest viewership of the thread (morals aside).  No other thread even gets within a 100,000 views of the HC thread.  If attracting SUP related eyeballs was the objective then HC hit the jackpot.

“...when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.”

More data...interesting to note that this thread was basically a knockoff from the Australian based Seabreeze SUP forum..."Sexy girl SUP pic's"...started 2 years before this thread...and, has 1,164,805 views...that's quite a few eyeballs...;-)

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Sexy-girl-SUP-pics/

That forum, like almost every other sports based internet forum...is almost a 100% hairy legged dudefest pissing match...;-)

Thank god that our SUP client base is much more closer to 50% between sexes than SUP forum participation...;-)

http://supsports.com/stoked/stoked-life-clients

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2016, 10:53:58 AM »
I assume you're talking about Ashley Baxter, who celebrated her 26th birthday a few days ago. She is indeed a beautiful woman, but the main reason I posted pictures of Ashley is that she does everything and anything in the water far better than you or I. I look up to her, as an athlete and a person.

I don't find anything on this site, anywhere to be titillating to even a minor degree. I think that's a little meme that's rattling around in YOUR head.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:32:27 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2016, 10:58:40 AM »
Threads die away all the time.  Don't go to it if you don't like it.  Complaining only attracts more attention to the thread. 

Someone posted that this thread 'leaks' into other areas of the forums.  That's really rich.  That's the concept the Muslims use when they talk about our culture corrupting theirs.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2016, 12:03:23 PM »
I assume you're talking about Ashley Baxter, who celebrated her 26th birthday a few days ago. She is indeed a beautiful woman, but the main reason I posted pictures of Ashley is that she does everything and anything in the water far better than you or I. I look up to her, as an athlete and a person.

I don't find anything on this site, anywhere to be titillating to even a minor degree. I think that's a little meme that's rattling around in YOUR head.
No, someone posted a picture of Vanina Walsh when she was 15. I objected, and the poster defended their actions.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2016, 12:22:39 PM »
Well how about starting a thread called Hot Dudes on SUP. Then the field is balanced out. Give the ladies (or whoever) a chance to chime in. People in good shape are beautiful to look at.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
Well how about starting a thread called Hot Dudes on SUP. Then the field is balanced out. Give the ladies (or whoever) a chance to chime in. People in good shape are beautiful to look at.

In a classical Greek sort of way?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »
My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, this is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
Cheers to that.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2016, 02:06:10 PM »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal