Author Topic: Pitfalls of a cheap i-SUP?  (Read 4291 times)

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pitfalls of a cheap i-SUP?
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »
My sister is looking to get a SUP for occasional recreational use and at a cottage for a week each summer.  They have a dog which they will not be able to keep off it.  The board will never be surfed or raced or downwinded.  The water will be flat.   The shore it is launched from can be a bit rocky.  I suggested to her that the dog claws should not be an issue for an inflatable, and with it weighing just over half the weight of some big plastic tubs (their other possible option), might be easier for loading on (in) the car.  Did I mention they're not looking to spend a lot of money?

There are some fairly cheap inflatables at Costco.  But, what are the issues with those cheap inflatables?  Do they only handle a low pressure and flex like a noodle?  Do they weather and wear out?  Thin and easily punctured?   I know the saying "you get what you pay for", and I'm wondering what they'll be missing with a cheap board like this?

Also, is the time spent inflating it a hassle?  I've never had my hands on an inflatable. 

Thanks,
Peter

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pitfalls of a cheap i-SUP?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:19:55 PM »
I have a Seyvlor that I learned on that isn't the stiffest thing but man you can't hurt it even if you try.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:25:52 PM »
Even the cheap ones are pretty tough, the better ones are pretty much bulletproof. thicker is better for cheap ones, since they can't handle high pressure. Given the nature of dropstitch fabric, the thicker the board, the less the board flexes in total, though the surface can be bouncy with a lower thread count. I paddled a Costco inflatable. You get what you pay for, but it's just to fool around with, then it's fine.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:29:10 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:39:26 PM »
It's cheap but functional for their application and the Costco return policy can't be beat so I wouldn't worry. The paddles that come with the boards are junk though. It's funny but the boards are most likely built in the same factories that make iSUPs for many other companies.   
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:48:10 AM »
Yes, time spent inflating is annoying. Most people who use inflatables a lot just leave them inflated the whole time if they can. An electric pump can help - but you have to get an expensive one, really. So does the Red Paddle Titan pump (also a bit expensive). Or you can just see inflating the board as part of your warm-up routine. If you really want to paddle, inflating the board isn't going to stop you.

If you are just pootling around in flat water then just about any board will do. If you want to use your board for racing, or even just semi-serious fitness training, then you need to get the best board you can, and that can mean buying used. The issue with inflatables is that when you put the power down they bend and bounce. The less stiff ones bend and bounce a lot, to the point that if you are a powerful paddler on a cheap board it can feel like you are in a trampoline. All the energy goes into up and down motion not forward motion. This is deeply frustrating. But if you are just mucking about taking it easy with no goals in mind other than to be on the water, then you can have fun paddling pretty much anything.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 02:21:25 AM »
I use a 40 quid Sevylor pumped its perfect..

I have heard rumours of cheaper pumps putting moisture into the board because they don't have a water trap, but so far, so good :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 06:40:19 AM »
Thanks for the info.  The only paddling experience they have is on my race boards, so I was warning my sister that a 10 foot tubby plastic board would be too much of a change.  I'm hoping maybe a 12'6" or 14' inflatable at half the weight, even if a bit flexy, will paddle better than the plastic tub(?) 

I really don't see it used beyond a recreational level.  I also told them I'd build them a nice carbon paddle.  I tried a neighbor's cheap paddle and wow, yes some are really junky and heavy but I guess that adds to the exercise!  Good point about Costco having a decent return policy.  The only thing I wanted to check about was whether a cheap board might get used at the cottage for a week and paddled a few other times over the year, and fall apart after a few years of light use, just due to age.  As long as they don't have a short shelf life, then I think it does sound like this is the best option for them.

Thx,
Peter

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »
I know someone who tried to use isup's in the surf and were sorely disappointed.  They were too soft and made for the river raft set and made it almost impossible to catch waves.  Handling on those I have tried which were not soft and not cheap, was terrible in the surf, though catching small waves can be OK.

For surfing, only as a last resort.

detourgreg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
We had some first generation NRS inflatables that fell apart after about 3 years. NRS said they hadn't seen anything like it before but the glue just came apart on multiple boards.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:51:50 AM »
I've had an ULI for 6 years and it's still perfectly fine. Gotta store out of the sun though, and best to store them partially inflated rather than rolled up.

Trout_Creek_Outdoors

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Board and Kayak Life
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 06:20:04 PM »
ISLE makes a decent, cheap iSUP for under $600. Durable, resistant to dog scratches, good weight limit for bigger guys. I'd check into them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:21:36 PM by Trout_Creek_Outdoors »
Paddle On!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 08:58:57 PM »
I know someone who tried to use isup's in the surf and were sorely disappointed.  They were too soft and made for the river raft set and made it almost impossible to catch waves.  Handling on those I have tried which were not soft and not cheap, was terrible in the surf, though catching small waves can be OK.

The thin Uli's surf very well. The big fat cheap stuff doesn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 06:02:48 PM »

our 8'1 inflatable surfs quite well  8)

http://airsup.net/os/airsup-8foot-1inch-inflatable-sup.html
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 06:44:13 AM »

The thin Uli's surf very well. The big fat cheap stuff doesn't.
I think "very well" is being a bit generous. "Very well" for an iSUP maybe, but inflatables are a very loooooong way behind hard boards for surfing - even the best of them. I used my ULI in triple OH surf once. The look on the surfers' faces was hilarious. I had a blast, but I'm never doing that again. Boing. boing, boing....

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
Astro surfs like a dream in overhead point breaks of Morocco!

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'