Author Topic: Recommendation for flexible paddle to help shoulder problem?  (Read 5544 times)

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
I just started paddling and it’s causing an old shoulder injury to flare up.  In addition to exercises, I’ve seen advice to shorten the paddle and to get something with flex and maybe a smaller blade.  My current paddle probably wasn’t the best choice due to stiffness and blade size (http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/collections/riviera-paddles/products/riviera-vantage-r8-adjustable-carbon-fiber-sup-paddles). 

The thread I found on this is old and recommends paddles that I can’t find anymore. 

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced paddle that might help? 

(As background, I’m about 6’, 180lbs and reasonably fit but old.  At the moment I am a beginner with an 11’6” surf-style board, paddling on lakes or bays)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation for flexible paddle to help shoulder problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
Far more knowledgeable people here than I but I got one of these and it is way flexible.
I don't use it much and others far stiffer don't seem to bother my shoulders either.
http://www.jupiterkiteboarding.com/store/jimmy-lewis-kanaha-all-fiberglass-paddle-p-4106.html

I think it is this paddle tho they only seem to show a smaller blade here.
http://www.quickbladepaddles.com/store/Kanaha-All-Fiberglass

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »
Wow, that's the guy, good find Luca. I didn't think Jimmy had those made anymore. They're a bit too noodly, but there's nothing easier on your shoulders, and Kanaha is the blade to get. These blades use old quickblade molds. Originally there was a Peahi version as well, but it's a big, monster shovel and you don't want that anyway.

If you want something a bit stiffer but still with controlled impact, the Ke Nalu xTuf and xTuf(S) shafts are a few steps up. xTuf is pretty soft, but eventually loads up and locks. The xTuf(S) is even more subtle about flex, giving some early bend but then locking up earlier and harder. Both are easier on your shoulder. I use xTuf(S) shafts when my shoulders are bothering me. Along with a Maliko blade they're simply good medicine for me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:12:35 PM »
I like the xtuf(s) shaft too.  With a smaller blade,  shorter shaft,  better technique,  etc it can be pretty easy on the shoulders but still very responsive.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 05:31:02 AM »
Thanks everyone for the link and the advice.  I ordered the Jimmy Lewis.  I'd read about them in an old thread but hadn't found one. 

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 05:41:37 AM »
I have that exact paddle,  I'm 6'3" 235 and it's big for me. Can't imagine how you must feel with it. I was recommended the Ke Nalu paddles on here by another member. I'm ordering one this week,  they look perfect for what I want.

Dave

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 06:56:30 AM »
My current paddle probably wasn’t the best choice due to stiffness and blade size (http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/collections/riviera-paddles/products/riviera-vantage-r8-adjustable-carbon-fiber-sup-paddles). 

I also use the Riviera R8, but the fixed-length (not adjustable) one. It's effective but definitely stiff and sometimes taxing on the shoulders. Cutting it properly short (my height + 7" = 77") has made it feel better for me. For you I reckon the length would be 79".

I've also used the newer Riviera R8 and R7.5 "bump" paddles, which have a noticeably more flexible shaft (and also there are bumps on the shaft). The R7.5 bump doesn't have as solid a catch as the R8, but with the combination of a bit smaller blade and a more flexible shaft, that would be the one I would choose for doing a lot of mileage.

I've also never heard anyone say anything bad about KeNalu paddles. One older guy I paddle with switched from HippoStick to KeNalu and says it has really helped his aches and pains.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:52:01 AM »
My plan is to drop my paddle length a few inches to the range suggested, try the "noodle" paddle, start the rotator cuff exercises in the Blue Planet video, and stop trying too hard.  If I can paddle like that successfully, it gives me a starting point.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:56:22 AM »
I have the X-tuf paddle shaft and a 95 blade. I'm 240 lbs. I used to use a QB 110 with a stiff shaft. My shoulders were always sore after I paddled. I tried a 90 blade with a stiff shaft, but still the sore shoulders. Once I went with the more flexible shaft, my shoulder haven't been sore at all. All the paddles have been the same length.
You may know this but, here is the basic's of the paddle stroke:
a. Always make a quiet entry with the blade. No splash, no pull. Just let the your speed initiate the movement of the blade backward.
b.Once it's submersed (fully anchored) then pull (turn & bury). This is just as much a downward movement, as it is a pulling back. Actually dragging yourself forward. 
c. The unloading or release of tension which should happen disputably around the line of your feet. At which point you retract the blade from the water. 
d. The next component which is probably talked about the least, yet is very important is the return or lift. The curve of the 'D' stroke is the path your blade takes as it exits the water. Some younger people who stab paddle with sometimes a Tahitian grip don't make much of a 'D' on their paddle return. They pull their paddles vertically out of the water. Pure athleticism! For us older folks the blade comes out of the water flat. The hand holding the top of the paddle moves horizontally across our body. The blade swings out in an arc low to the water. A little twist of the wrist just as the blade exits the water helps put the leading edge into the wind. You can slide or skip it across the surface of the water giving you and outrigger effect. This is called 'Feathering'
e. The last or first phase is preparing for the next stroke. This gets into shoulder stacking. I try to stack my shoulders on each stroke, but it's probably the weakest part of my stroke. As I reach out to make my stroke, I try to imagine my arms making a porthole to look through. I want to be looking it, turned at the waist so I'm looking at the person next to me. One hand high, and one low. The wider your hands are apart, the more accentuated the stacking will be. This helps get the paddle shaft vertical and increases your reach. If you don't stack your shoulders, then you end up with your top hand almost level in front of the opposite shoulder to maintain a vertical shaft. This usually means my hands are too close together and I'm not reaching enough. Which is usually case. And I have a whole list of excuses :)

Recap:
Quiet entry
Anchor then pull and turn down.
Stop pull and release sooner than you think.
Twist handle on exit.
Try to stack shoulders and reach...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:59:06 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 12:37:15 PM »
I loved the feel of that JL paddle. Very soft and springy and you get a little flick at the tail end of the stroke as it unloads. Perfect for shoulder problems.

Recently with the shoulder problem I've been having I went with a xtuf 60 and the konihi 94 blade. Soft and smooth....worked great.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »
betcha the issue with your shoulder is blade size--i am 200 6'2" and i love my konihi 84 w/ xtuf.

now i only surf, but i cant imagine bigger than 95 under any conditions.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:03 AM »
betcha the issue with your shoulder is blade size--i am 200 6'2" and i love my konihi 84 w/ xtuf.

now i only surf, but i cant imagine bigger than 95 under any conditions.
That 84 is the exact one I'm looking to get. But not for surfing. Do you ever use it for touring type paddling?

Dave

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »
If you decide to go with the QuickBlade, make sure to ask for the Elite Flyweight shaft. This is the
most comfortable shaft I've ever felt (tried most of the mentioned above).

Also, The texture on the shaft is by far the best IMO, it really helps with slippage in most cases.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »
I think the Elite Flyweight comes with their 'Narrow' shaft which is for paddlers under 150 lbs. A 200 lbs paddler could probably break it. The 'Tapered' shaft has a nice initial flex then loads up and can handle the force of a heavier person. I almost bought the tapered shaft but it can't be extended to 90" which is the length I paddle.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
I think the Elite Flyweight comes with their 'Narrow' shaft which is for paddlers under 150 lbs. A 200 lbs paddler could probably break it. The 'Tapered' shaft has a nice initial flex then loads up and can handle the force of a heavier person. I almost bought the tapered shaft but it can't be extended to 90" which is the length I paddle.

I think you had the FB Flyweight in mind. The all carbon Elite FlyWeight is indeed narrow but at his "old age" and weight I doubt his going to make a dent, I'm probably younger and more or less his weight ( and some times even more) and I've been using it for a while now and not lightly, I was looking for a very flexible shaft as I tend to push too hard. This was perfect for me, no injuries so far and the shaft feels like new as well.

When I talked to QB on the phone to order the shaft, they didn't think my size and weight will be an
issue.

What I can say for sure is that using this shaft did take a lot of stress of my body.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal