Author Topic: Ooooops I hit the button on a unlimited.  (Read 70551 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ooooops I hit the button on a unlimited.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »
Real good point Area 10...while my fantasy of creating a 16' thinned out version of something like a SIC FX sound good at first...I'm thinking the width/volume is too far back to work optimum at 16+ feet. That would definitely be the nose wagging the dog in breezy/wind conditions. Paddling into the wind realistically come into play at some point in 9 out of 10 sessions around here. Major consideration when you have to go when you can, rather than when conditions are optmum.

Better an outline shape that is closer to neutral with just a hint of bias aft of center...if any.

Maybe it just me, but some of the 14's look like they started out as 16'-18' long pintail design with the tail chopped off to make them fit stock 14 racing class. That's one of the big draws to the sixteen ...better options for cleaning up the release off the tail.

Really like the outline supuk has cooked up here from the pictures. The actual shaped board looks even better than the computer rendering.

His CNC is definitely the ultimate set up to execute the build it yourself mindset. It will take me 3-4 times longer to just loft and cut out my hot wire templates (rocker and plane shape) than for supuk to CNC his whole board.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
That's a work of art Charlie!

My nephew Rupert lives in Bournemouth and dabbles in surfing when he isn't working on his PhD or hanging at his local pub or playing football. When he comes to visit his Uncle Jim in So Cal, sup surfing is all he wants to do.  I've gotta get him to see your boards in person some day, to get a first hand report.  They're becoming a reason to cross the pond all on their own. This one is starting out fantastic.  :D

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »
Cheers I'm afraid I'm away in Florida now so cant post any more pictures of it for a while. I use a modified progressive rocker line on its of my boards, a lot more so than the likes of sic and find it works well over here. The cnc is great but it's about 5-6hours to cut a 14-16' as there is a lot of material to remove.

Jim there are a few of my surf shapes down in Bournemouth but we are only 2 hours down the road east if you are ever this way. In the winter I some times head that way for a surf and one of the few reef breaks on the south coast.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 11:00:01 AM »
Real good point Area 10...while my fantasy of creating a 16' thinned out version of something like a SIC FX sound good at first...I'm thinking the width/volume is too far back to work optimum at 16+ feet. That would definitely be the nose wagging the dog in breezy/wind conditions. Paddling into the wind realistically come into play at some point in 9 out of 10 sessions around here. Major consideration when you have to go when you can, rather than when conditions are optmum.

Better an outline shape that is closer to neutral with just a hint of bias aft of center...if any.

Maybe it just me, but some of the 14's look like they started out as 16'-18' long pintail design with the tail chopped off to make them fit stock 14 racing class. That's one of the big draws to the sixteen ...better options for cleaning up the release off the tail.

Really like the outline supuk has cooked up here from the pictures. The actual shaped board looks even better than the computer rendering.

His CNC is definitely the ultimate set up to execute the build it yourself mindset. It will take me 3-4 times longer to just loft and cut out my hot wire templates (rocker and plane shape) than for supuk to CNC his whole board.

SupFlorida, Indigo SUP in Miami has a CNC machine. Maybe you can work something out with them to cut your design.

Nice looking board SUPUK!
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »
Geting prepared to bag the 16 in carbon, I have built a rocker jig to make sure it stays how it was designed. The plan is to build the jig properly and have it fully ajustable in the next week or so.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 06:27:09 PM »
This is going to be VERY interesting.

How far forward are you extending the standing area?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 01:51:42 AM »
not super far but its got a very low side profile so shouldn't be so much of a issue.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 03:41:22 AM »
Charlie, another work of art. A relief to see pictures of a board after all of the chit chat about planing, displacement, and  (heretical semi-displacement) craft!

And your fellow travelers will be delighted to test it I'm sure. We can do crunchy shorebreak destructive testing if Jay is otherwise occupied!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 07:04:13 AM »
Well that was a handful to glass on my own! Got it in the bag though!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 07:07:02 AM »

And your fellow travelers will be delighted to test it I'm sure. We can do crunchy shorebreak destructive testing if Jay is otherwise occupied!

I'm not totally sure what or who your talking about?

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
Charlie, I was attempting to be humorous and was alluding to the long and interesting dialogue on testing boards with a lot of folks involved who were in much closer proximity to you than to me.

So much for yankee humor! No worries. Love your designs  and have been an admirer and supporter of you and the mad skills needed to ride the narrow ones..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
Out the bag an pulled the ply off, a quick clean up and now ready to bag the carbon on.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 11:45:38 PM »
Charlie, I was attempting to be humorous and was alluding to the long and interesting dialogue on testing boards with a lot of folks involved who were in much closer proximity to you than to me.

So much for yankee humor! No worries. Love your designs  and have been an admirer and supporter of you and the mad skills needed to ride the narrow ones..

Oh my God!!

Humour??  :o ;D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2016, 08:31:06 AM »
Just got the bottom on which is a carbon glass mix all wet out on the table then in the bag.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 01:17:27 AM »
Woke up this morning like it was Christmas and geting to unwrap a new toy! Came out nice and Feels fairly stiff.

Out of interest what weights do people have on the 16'ish boards?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal