Author Topic: 14' x 25" 2015 Starboard Allstar advice...  (Read 3872 times)

supnorfolk

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
14' x 25" 2015 Starboard Allstar advice...
« on: May 22, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »
Hi there
after much hanging around and reading others' posts on this forum I would really appreciate your advice.
I'm considering a 14' x 25" 2015 Starboard Allstar which is available at a good price here, I'm hoping to use it for downwinding and some flat water coastal paddling and am interested what people think about whether it's suitable for me. I don't live somewhere that I can easily try other boards and also have limited funds.
For your information I'm  5'9 and 150lbs. 46 year old longtime surfer and have suped for a few years on and off, currently love my custom 9' x 27" 98 litre high performance longboard style sup...
Really appreciate your thoughts...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 14' x 25" 2015 Starboard Allstar advice...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »
What is the basis of your reservations about buying it? Have you paddled any race boards before?

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:37:34 AM »
I've got that model. About your size and a little older.

If you can ride 98 litre 28" wide comfortably, the Allstar will be more than stable.

I've found it a great allrounder. More of a down breezer than winder. I've had mine out in 15 to 20 knots and it goes well in those conditions. And could probably handle a little stronger.

Reasonably quick too for recreational racing.

10tozover

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:07:53 AM »
Yeah I think you’ll be fine too given your build and agree with Karl re down-breezing. If you are thinking of doing lots of downwind then look at something downwind specific but if it’s for general paddling I reckon it will be ideal for you.

Cheers
Nick

supnorfolk

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
thanks for the replies... the more I've pondered this the more I'm thinking that I will want something that will handle some stronger wind conditions and bigger swells and therefore more downwind specific... maybe an m14 or sic bullet 14... I know there's a lot of info out there so will be looking but any thoughts on my latest line of thought would be well received. Thanks...

10tozover

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 02:56:50 AM »
I'm guessing you are UK based given your name? Have you seen the board Ryan James has for sale on SUP Used Boards For Sale England? It's a Starboard Point 14'2 with steering. Classic board from Starboard designed by Mark Raaphorst. This is an an amazing piece of kit for downwind.

I've never tried an M14 but hear lots of great things about them

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:27:00 AM »
The Starboard Point is 14ft 8" long I think. Interesting board. That particular one has been around quite a long time now. I think it might be the one I tried in about 2010 or thereabouts? Dunno. Worth a look at the right price.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 06:47:15 AM »
M14 is a good solid board for bigger swells and rougher conditions. What I like about it is that you can also just do coastal paddles at a reasonable pace and it surfs waves great - I often just paddle out on smaller swells and ride them in ------no chance doing that on a surf SUP. I am 90 kg.

I guess there isn't much to be said about the bullets - proven beyond doubt.

SUPUK makes DW boards too - could make one bang on for your weight.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:43 AM »
Yeah I've currently "borrowed" one of SUPUK's custom 14ft DW boards. It is absolutely outstanding. You'd need to ask him, but you may be able to get a custom from him tailored to exactly what you want that is cheaper than an equivalent production board - and tougher too. If I get a moment I'll post some pictures.

And yes, I do know the guy, and paddle with him sometimes. But I'm not connected to him or his business in any other way and I don't get special treatment from him (and wouldn't accept it even if it was offered). I can't actually quite believe that a guy local to me is producing boards that are better than the ones built by these super-famous shapers I always hear about. But the evidence from my GPS is unequivocal.

Here is the man himself on a previous version of the board I'm using at the moment. I tried this same board and was blown away. But the Mk2 version I've borrowed is even better. Google Grey Paddleboards if you want to contact him. Or bomb down to the South Coast this weekend and come and try it. You'd be very welcome to.

https://youtu.be/sqUCwHxh5Rg
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:13:07 AM by Area 10 »

supnorfolk

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
thanks for all the help and advice, particularly Area 10 who has been incredibly helpful exchanging info via pm...
I am leaning towards the m14 even though I can't really afford it at the moment!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal