Author Topic: Full Moon Paddle  (Read 10745 times)

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Full Moon Paddle
« on: May 22, 2016, 06:49:49 AM »
Full moon again last night, we hit all of them last year from May to September and the year before from June to Sept.

At the local reservoir the day paddlers and kayakers start leaving at 5 and are gone by 6:30, all of the power boats are gone by half an hour before dark.  Right at sunset is usually when the wind dies down also.  Glass, quiet, great views.  Saw one boat out fishing.

Since I live roughly 1,300 miles from any surf the moonlight paddles are my favorite time to get out.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:57:23 AM by switters »

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Full Moon Paddle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:48:47 AM »
Awesome!

You'll be pleased to know that's it was actually a Blue Moon - first in the last two and a half years apparently :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 06:00:29 PM »
Full moon again last night, we hit all of them last year from May to September and the year before from June to Sept.

At the local reservoir the day paddlers and kayakers start leaving at 5 and are gone by 6:30, all of the power boats are gone by half an hour before dark.  Right at sunset is usually when the wind dies down also.  Glass, quiet, great views.  Saw one boat out fishing.

Since I live roughly 1,300 miles from any surf the moonlight paddles are my favorite time to get out.

You don't worry about water depth if you fall off at night? Deep water isn't a problem, but if it's shallow and you don't realize it I'd think that would be a problem.

I would love to try this at Round Valley except I think getting my board back on my car in the dark—even with a full moon— would lose its charm very quickly.

“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaοs Nin
Έ.·΄―`·.΄―`·.ΈΈ.·΄―`·.Έ><(((Ί>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
folks lets be careful make sure you have all safety equipment and don't skimp on RUNNING LIGHTS
JIMK
Extreme Windsurfing

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:33:34 AM »
folks lets be careful make sure you have all safety equipment and don't skimp on RUNNING LIGHTS
JIMK
Extreme Windsurfing

Hi Jim,

Define "running lights" please.  :)

I haven't looked at the requirements recently (i.e. I'm unaware if they were updated in 2016), but my understanding is that for dusk/night paddling in New Jersey, all that's required is a flashlight, or a kayak light (like this one). Personally, I think a waterproof headlamp is a better idea (it's higher up), but the point is it doesn't take much to fulfill the requirement. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your point of view.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaοs Nin
Έ.·΄―`·.΄―`·.ΈΈ.·΄―`·.Έ><(((Ί>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:41:47 AM »
For lights we have headlamps which are nice for loading up but are turned off when paddling, the light flashing in my eyes reflecting of my arm every stroke is maddening.  We use small led lanterns on the board to be seen by the occasional fishing boat.  Some use bicycle lights, white in front red in the back.  Of most import is the use of glow sticks.  Every one that goes out with us gets one so they can be spotted quickly if they fall in.  The really cheap ones that came connected to make a bracelet or necklace work great.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:40:39 AM »
Sounds like fun switters!
Sounds like you have a good plan.... enjoy.

any nite pics?

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
I did my first full moon paddle last year and it was a blast. For lighting we just used glow sticks and they seemed to work fine.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 06:56:59 AM »
Tomorrow night kids, dont even have to wait for the moon after sunset.

A quick rundown from yesterday.  The girlfiend wanted to spend the day, all day on the local res.  Because of parking at the access point and other whiney excuses I decided to load up a full size cooler on the explorer and paddle it out to the 2nd cove away and cache it in a grotto.  Even paddling along for the stretch where I had to contend with wake boards and water skiiers close by it worked out  well sitting on the cooler and paddling.  After dropping off the cooler we used that little place as home base and went exploring  and dinking around.  Case of beer and ice is round 45-50 lbs on an isle explorer, I'm 185, it is about a mile paddle (stupid headwind yesterday,) to the cache. 

With at least six places renting in town now and the low cost of kayaks it is getting harder to find a little peace.  Three years a go I remember seeing someone out on a board and we would usually end up talking.  I counted 50 within 1/4 mile of the boat ramp last weekend.  Crazy.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:21:22 AM »
Yes, I'll be going out on my second full moon paddle tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it, although the weather looks a bit unsettled. Hopefully it will cooperate!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 07:42:03 AM »
Yes, I'll be going out on my second full moon paddle tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it, although the weather looks a bit unsettled. Hopefully it will cooperate!
The lightning is so much prettier and the thunder so much louder at night tho.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
The lightning is so much prettier and the thunder so much louder at night tho.

True, and the screams carry so much better on the water at night!   ;)
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
And the air temperature is cooler at night than during the day also.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
For last nights moon we decided to stay out overnight, drank a few glasses of wine under the moon and then headed i n for the tent.  Other than forgetting the stove for coffee this morning it just about perfect.

wanted a picture of how the board looked loaded, not bad.  not my regular stroke, at least I hope not 8)

sunrise

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:40:32 AM by switters »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »
@switters

Your photos of your overnight camping trip remind me of my overnight camping trips in the Spring and late Fall. I always enjoy a nice campfire at night. BTW, my Hobie looks a lot like yours when it is weighed down with all the gear I take along with me for my overnight trips.

Thanks for sharing your photos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal