Author Topic: Why did you become a member of this forum?  (Read 11904 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why did you become a member of this forum?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »
Well... hello here, first post :)

I'm here in hope to find info boards as I want to add paddleboarding to list of my ocean activities (surfing, fishing, swimming). Just moved to stone throw to the shore and want to get back to shape. what could be better that few miles of standup before  work..

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum oceanAddict. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here. Good luck in your search for a board and equipment!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:53 PM »
My brother told me about the forum. When I first signed up I think he had about a thousand posts and I thought WTF is he doing? Doesn't he have anything better to do? Odd thing is that as I remember it, I already new Admin and Chan, but didn't know they were doing the Zone. Then again, my memory sucks so bad that any sequence is possible. They DID, however, take me on my first downwinder--a full-on winter Maliko--and scared the living crap out of me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »
I'm a regular forum member at TheGearPage where people really into guitars hang out... there is a forum called the PUB where you can talk about any topic..

I started a SUP thread because I was ready to get into it... and someone there directed me here.

I now have one very basic board and am looking to pick up a touring board hopefully this summer. I appreciate everyone's knowledge here.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
To share 50 years of surfing experience.

Looking back, I sure gained a lot more than I gave.
Thank you zoners!

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Stumbled on this site few years ago.  Not really been on much.  Started thinking about an SUP few years ago for days when I go to the lake to get our Hobie 16 out and the wind dies.   But never really thought more until recently.  I enjoy the water and thought it would be fun to try it out.  Took my daughter with me to rent a few boards.  She was scared at first.  But after getting on a board alone she started liking it.    been researching boards ever since.  She liked the YOLO Hammerhead board she was on.  Can get last year's model for 800.00. But I wanted to get her a YOLO 10'6" regular board or a Bote Flood 10'6".   May get the flood for the wife or an iSUP,  she is worried about falling on it, she has had some back issues and thinking an Inflatable may be better.   Bote Lowrider is what has caught my interest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Please also get her, and yourself, a leash.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

sxrracer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
Stumbled on this site few years ago.  Not really been on much.  Started thinking about an SUP few years ago for days when I go to the lake to get our Hobie 16 out and the wind dies.   But never really thought more until recently.  I enjoy the water and thought it would be fun to try it out.  Took my daughter with me to rent a few boards.  She was scared at first.  But after getting on a board alone she started liking it.    been researching boards ever since.  She liked the YOLO Hammerhead board she was on.  Can get last year's model for 800.00. But I wanted to get her a YOLO 10'6" regular board or a Bote Flood 10'6".   May get the flood for the wife or an iSUP,  she is worried about falling on it, she has had some back issues and thinking an Inflatable may be better.   Bote Lowrider is what has caught my interest.

Please also get her, and yourself, a leash.
Don't worry, plan on it. 

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »
I joined up sometime in 2011.  The interesting thing is my very first post was not about SUP but beer.  Hey priorities.  Anyway at the time I had recently took up SUP (just flat-water) and had been lurking around for awhile so finally decided to join.  While I love all aspects of the sport and am super impressed with the level of surfing going on, I've never had much interest myself in taking SUP boards out to the waves.  I still prone surf occasionally but really love just paddling out in bays and harbors these days.  I am interested perhaps in downwinders but right now I don't have the right equipment and I am not really aware of any DW spots in San Diego and I don't know anyone here who does it.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:16:58 PM by surf4food »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
I have really enjoyed the intersection with people on this site and hope to meet at least a few in person one of these days.  I actually went into SUPsports's shop last June surfing Summer Solstice in Santa Barbara but he wasn't there that day but had a good chat with two of the employees and bought the new Kai Lenny vid.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:22:05 PM by surf4food »

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »
Jumped into the SUP scene for StandUp Sight Fishing from a minimalistic point of view. Been fishing from a paddle platform, canoes and kayaks, for many years.

Was looking for information on SUP's, specifically towards the purpose of sight fishing, and perhaps other SUP fisher-people.

As a network engineer involved in the internet for many years, I was always on the bleeding edge of providing and supporting the www experience and kept up with the beginnings of social media, but kind of lost interest when social media went main stream.
I have joined, participated in, and followed fishing web sites, blogs, and forums and was looking for silimar forum experiences and this is the main one I was able to locate... seems like FB, IG, Tweet, Snap, and Tinder havve taken that space away.

So if you fish from an SUP I'm listening and hoping to learn more about it....

On this forum there is a world of information on SUP/Paddleboards.. but I don't find a lot on fishing. If you know of another site or area with fishing information, please let me know.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »
Jumped into the SUP scene for StandUp Sight Fishing from a minimalistic point of view. Been fishing from a paddle platform, canoes and kayaks, for many years.

Was looking for information on SUP's, specifically towards the purpose of sight fishing, and perhaps other SUP fisher-people.

As a network engineer involved in the internet for many years, I was always on the bleeding edge of providing and supporting the www experience and kept up with the beginnings of social media, but kind of lost interest when social media went main stream.
I have joined, participated in, and followed fishing web sites, blogs, and forums and was looking for silimar forum experiences and this is the main one I was able to locate... seems like FB, IG, Tweet, Snap, and Tinder havve taken that space away.

So if you fish from an SUP I'm listening and hoping to learn more about it....

On this forum there is a world of information on SUP/Paddleboards.. but I don't find a lot on fishing. If you know of another site or area with fishing information, please let me know.

There's a subject called [Fish Tales, Stand Up Style] on this forum. Start posting some pictures there and I’m sure it will grow. I don’t fish as much as I use too, but still enjoy looking at pictures like the bonefish your holding.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

NuckaMan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 08:06:05 AM »
Hello, first time poster from southern Cali.

Rented SUP's alot at various local shops in Orange County, decided to buy my own recently (had to do iSUP for transportation and storage reasons) and stumbled on this site as I was googling around for iSUP models and reviews.

Won't be surfing it, just bay and eventually some open water distance paddling as I get stronger. Bought a Red Paddle 13'2" Explorer Plus....more than I wanted to spend but seems like it was a good board.

This site seems like a good place to share info about the local scene.

LBH20

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 09:26:16 AM »
First and foremost, I joined to learn everything I possibly could about this awesome sport! Like many others, I came from a surfing background. But I realized I needed knowledge about technique and equipment. The Zone has been an invaluable resource! Glad I found it! I'm now an official SUP/SUS junkie!
9'5" 2014 Naish Mana GS
8'8" 2014 Slingshot Rant
8'5" 2014 Naish Mana GT
8'8" 2016 JP Surf Wide Body Pro
8'8" 2016 Starboard Airborn Wide Point

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 10:58:54 AM »
Welcome all newcomers. My first board was an inflatable. I paddled hundreds of miles on it. Then after trying some glassed race boards, decided to buy one. That was about 15 boards ago. More on the horizon.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2016, 02:23:21 PM »
I joined because sometimes, as now, there's no damn surf and posts about pedal powered SUPs and Kai Lenny suddenly become interesting. Just please, no more damn posts about Laird.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal