Author Topic: Go Foil with Starboard  (Read 12166 times)

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Go Foil with Starboard
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 04:31:19 AM »
i can only imagine rolling around in the white stuff with that thing nearby. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 04:47:04 AM »
for some reason they have really tried hard to blur out any view of the actual foil.

It's funny, they could be hiding new technology or just masking the fact that they are using the same old tech.  Either way I suppose, it creates a little added buzz.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »
I think the fundamental design is the wrong one. I should probably talk to Alex about what I have in  I'll get in touch with Alex though. beside knowing him a little from the aincient windsurfing days his wife Karla is the real estate agent for Ponohouse.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »
Pono - Figure it out quickly.

I called Stretch yesterday.  Talked to him for 40 minutes about:

Catching waves at Mavericks 1 mile past the lineup. 

This would be just like we used to do on windsurfers on big (12 - 20 ft) days at Davenport.  You could line up a swell and point high into the wind standing on the wave feeling it build under your feet and then chose when you wanted to bottom turn.

He said something that lit me up even further "On clean days it will not work as well as on bumpy, choppy days.  You will need a bump to get you in."

Oh my GOD!  The panorama just got bigger.  Think of all the days that no one is out because it is too windy.  10 feet @ 10 seconds with 15 mph of wind.  VOILA.  There is your bump. It's the exact combination of downwinding and surfing they (Kai, Connor and Zane) have displayed each separately but haven't put the two together . . . . yet.

We already catch the uncatchable.  These foils might have just opened up our ability to surf the 50% of days when it was otherwise too windy and choppy and NO ONE ELSE WILL BE OUT.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:19:47 AM by Beasho »

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 08:43:16 AM »
There is no new technology I would bet. There are many different foils. Many different designs. They all ride a little different but the basic premise is the same. A foil is a foil. I'm pretty sure that a large front wing is all that was added to the existing GoFoil. They need a large front wing to get up on foil and stay foiling at very slow speeds. I have tried many different kitefoils and have kited hundreds of miles foiling. Never seen or rode the GoFoil but I love my AA foilboard. He makes awesome boards.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 12:11:29 PM »
Go Foil in the surf on the Eastside of Santa Cruz?

You better attach a lawn mower blade.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
That's why we invented the stainless steel "kelp knife"...;-)

My carbon fiber foil just got delayed another couple of weeks...and, they have had full payment for 2 months now...hmmm...kinda like the early days of standup, eh?...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »

This is my wife foiling today. After this windsurf session I pulled out my paddle and tried paddling it. I was shocked by how draggy it felt. More strain pulling the paddle. I really thought it would feel less draggy because it feels less draggy windsurfing it compared to a regular windsurfer.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 08:14:43 PM »
He said something that lit me up even further "On clean days it will not work as well as on bumpy, choppy days.  You will need a bump to get you in."
Oh my GOD!  The panorama just got bigger.  Think of all the days that no one is out because it is too windy. 
We already catch the uncatchable.  These foils might have just opened up our ability to surf the 50% of days when it was otherwise too windy and choppy and NO ONE ELSE WILL BE OUT.

Genius!  I pretty much wrote off SUS foiling as being to dangerous and without benefit, but this opened my mind to a whole new possibility.  The only reason I tried SUP in the first place was to ride the unridable, I have been wondering all day of where are there point breaks in nor cal with no kelp that are empty when the wind picks up...?  Beasho I have never seen anyone ride that rolling bump of a wave along the jetty, maybe on a good S swell? 
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
. . .

Genius!  I pretty much wrote off SUS foiling as being to dangerous and without benefit, but this opened my mind to a whole new possibility.  . . .

I mentioned you, Clay, to Stretch.  Since you were the 1st person 'of note' that I have ever seen on a Stretch.

Stretch had made my windsurfer years ago.  Fantastic and bomb proof.  He also made Nick Lamb's board who won Mavericks this year.  He knows his stuff.  Better yet he can make a Starboard, or better, quality custom SUP for $1,800.  Made in the USA.

I am starting to think 13' with Tuttle box.  At the end of the call he said "Now I have to figure out where to put that damn box for the foil."

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 05:06:18 AM »
http://www.naishsurfing.com/2017-malolo-sup-foilboard-hydrofoil/

Interesting what they wrote about design.  I imagine this is not far from what is underneath the Aguera.  The guys look like the are really struggling with turning these things.  The extra fuselage length is adding to that.  It will be interesting to see what the later generations look like. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »
The guys look like the are really struggling with turning these things.

Mine struggles to come around on a tack. Yet with a jibe, it spins like top. Not sure what that means yet when I try to paddle it.

Maybe it means a board won't turn when you're standing forward of the wing?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:52:26 AM by DW »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 07:10:54 AM »
Sailing is likely a lot different.  In a jibe, mast forward and sheeting in pulls the nose downwind with a lot of power.  Stand up has no way to turn other than dragging the paddle or body input.  Body input looks tough because of the board height and the relative commitment to get the same angle.  On a traditional surface surfboard a little touch at the rail goes a long way.  On a foil at speed, it looks like the whole deal needs to angle as one.  It looks like once they are turning one way they are struggling to get out of that commitment.

PS:  Windsurf jibes vs tacks.  If you consider the fuselage length itself as the real board length then for a jibe the mast is way out in front of it and has a ton of leverage so a downwind turn is easy.  For a tack it would be very hard to get the mast far enough back in relation to the fuselage length to do a powerful upwind turn. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:00:29 AM by Admin »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
Help me figure this out.  How do these things work?  (I'm at work and can't do a lot of googling right now.)

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 07:42:28 AM »
Looking at the Naish pics it is apparent the Naish foil is actually a Slingshot genereation 1 foil. Not sure who actually makes those foils for SS. It was the laughing stock of foils when it first came out but was the first foil priced reasonably cheap enough for the average person. I actually enjoy riding the SS foil. Easy, turns well, but slow slow SLOW. And it breaks the surface of the water easier than other foils. But it's a good introductory foil. It is also very heavy(being aluminum). Carrying that sucker to the beach attached to a SUP would be a nightmare. It's hard enough attached to a small kiteboard. I've done it plenty. Water also collects inside the mast and there have been other corrosive issues with those foils. The board looks good so you could buy the board and get a used SS foil for cheaper. Except the SS foil uses a plate system. Forgot about that. But you could probably get the deep tuttle attachment for the Naish board. No new technology there. Not even a larger front wing for SUP. Same old set up used by many kiters. The AA foil will be much higher quality no doubt but probably cost twice as much. And Admin is right you get stability with a longer fuselage(at the expense of speed). Foils actually turn very easy. But very different. It's almost a pivot type turn that needs practice and getting used to. Turning a SUP on foil will be 1000x easier than turning a SUP on the surface of the water with just a fin. They react very quickly and you need to pay constant attention. Any slight shift of weight has an effect while foiling. Reaching down to straighten your boarshorts while foiling is a new skill to be learned.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:02:11 AM by cnski »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]