Author Topic: River and lake board for camping, first board shootout!  (Read 5067 times)

sigment

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
River and lake board for camping, first board shootout!
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »
Hi everyone, awesome site with tons of info, thank you in advance for your sound advice!!

I haven't been paddling very long, but it is time for me to purchase a board for myself. I have done a billion research and have settled down on 2 boards.

Tahoe Zephyr 12'6''

or

Boardworks Raven 12'6'' (i think i like the great bear 12'6'' due to added rear tiedowns but they are harder to find)

I plan on doing recreational lake paddling (Lake Conroe, TX) regularly BUT I am also planning my first real trip / vacation based on covering a few miles of Buffalo River, Arkansas. The sections I will be floating are mostly calm but a few class I rapids are listed on the maps. I have kayaked and canoed much faster water, but not while standing up!! It will be a 2-3 day float with all camping gear loaded and floating with me down the river, hence the need for front and rear tiedowns. (hammock and other ultralight gear from hiking will be used to save weight)

I figured for serious expedition use I should go for a 14 footer, but realistically  that is too big for me to transport and I only plan on rivers and lakes, no ocean.

So my questions: 1. am I correct in assuming that either of these boards would be suitable for moving water (light rapids) and would be easy enough to keep moving down the river?

2. are there any other expedition style boards that would surpass these for the price? (i don't want to go over ~1500) and I really like the look of both boards.

3. Which would you choose if you were 170lbs + 30lbs of gear(max)

I look forward to your combined insight, thanks

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: River and lake board for camping, first board shootout!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
SIG,  Don't let 'hold-downs' effect your decision.  There are both decent Sitck-Ons and leash plugs any decent glass guy could sink for you.  My earlier version Tahoe Rubicon has front/back tie down plugs ...and came with some nice neoprene pads you could load gear on without worry that it's sliding around a slippery deck.  I'd also make sure the deck was pretty flat.  I bought this used as a 'dog sled'. (he rides while I work...)

And don't blow the budget on the board... save some good $$ for a decent, carbon -name brand- paddle.  To that end, I'd buy used. I alway scratch my head about "must have new" fixations.  Yes, some are too new to be used...but?!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

sigment

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:41:22 AM »
Thanks for the tips Wetstuff. I am not against going used, but here in Houston, the pickings are slim. Add to the fact that I'm a noob when it comes to what to look for in aside from the obvious (cracks, divots). I may need to pop over to Austin and have a look around.

As for luggage areas, I guess I figured that if it had front and back, then maybe the board was engineered to accommodate for added weight in those areas. But now I think I may be over thinking it.. Its not like I'll be carrying more than a proper dog would weigh, and many people seem to do that just fine.

Your comments on a carbon paddle did raise another question... Are carbon paddles (a high quality specimen) durable enough to push off of rocks with or should I go with an alternative?

We use carbon paddles on the lake and I love the weight savings, but on the river adventures, I fear that shoving off of rocks or cliffs or logs may damage it. Again, I've only done rivers in canoes and kayaks, and in those cases, paddles were for more than paddling!! ;D

Thanks for helping a noob out.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:50:43 AM »
Sig,

Neither of those boards are made for river runs.

Have you ever considered a QUALITY inflatable Plus storage wouldn't  be  an issue so 14Ft would be doable

Another board I'd consider is BOUNCE (this is a hard board great performance and as close as you can get to indistructable plus a good price) 11'4

Let me know your thoughts I'd be happy to give you pricing as well

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
For any river runs where there could be rocks - you do not want a rigid board.  It's not worth the risk of damage.  Find an inflatable touring board.  I believe the Raven and Great Bear boards come in inflatable versions as well.  Stick with 12'6 for rivers.  I have a Red Paddle 12'6 Explorer which I have used for river expeditions - extremely stable and you can pack a ton of gear on it.  But it's quite slow and a chore to paddle on lakes.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
What the others said about inflatables.  Not only does it alleviate your transport issues, a good quality inflatable is really the board of choice for most river SUP paddlers due to their durability in rocks.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:05:38 AM »
The inflatable suggestion is definitely a good one, esp. if your river has shallow sections, rocks, etc.  I bet you'd be stoked on the new Red 13' board that came out this year. 

Or even the 12'6 Race as you're a lightweight guy.  I weigh the same as you & have a 2015 Red 12'6 Race, adding 30 lbs. gear would be no problem.  Sites like NRS.com have everything you need to glue D-rings on the deck for additional tie-down space. 

If you're not worried about hazards, I'd take the Zephyr from your 2 original suggestions.  I've paddled both & it's a sleeker design, IMO.  Tahoe also makes a Rubicon in a rugged ABS finish that would hold up better against rocks, etc.   

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »
Sage advice with inflatables on rivers where you may encounter rocks. With that said, I have run all of my composite boards- ranging from 11'6" to 14' on class 1+ and I'm going to keep doing it. It's rugged country where I'm at regardless of lake or river paddling and rocks are part of the game. I just don't venture out during periods of low flow (inflatables) on sections of rivers with rapids, and I also have an idea of where not to go, where the deeper sections are/etc. Route planning is important on rivers that you have never paddled on before. Class I is pretty mellow and many different board designs will work even with a full load. Just know the stretches of river that will give you the most problems.

The new Tahoe Rubicon is more durable than previous models (different construction method and materials) and as mentioned, you can add tie downs basically where ever you want. Both the Great Bear and Raven are large volume boards, and would work fine if you plan on bringing a lot of gear. The Raven II is slimmed down, but still has enough volume for your weight and some gear. I have a friend who is 180 pounds+ and he used the Raven II on a camping trip with around 30 pounds of gear, and it had enough float.

sigment

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 09:37:45 AM »
I will take the inflatable suggestions to heart, but I have yet to find one that felt as good or had the feedback and response of a traditional style board. They also all seem to float really high on the water... I will have to get my feet on some more, i suppose.

Also, I should clarify that 95% of the time this will be lake cruising. That other 5% will be rivers, but not whitewater (think relaxation, not thrill ride). If I have to get a second board or rent for the rivers, then I will, but I am trying to get 1 that will do lakes easy and rivers managably..(if that makes any sense at all)

I will also look into the ABS Rubicon as well.

Thank you for all of the advice and recommendations so far. Great community you guys have built up

floridave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 03:27:37 AM »
I will be picking up a Lakeshore River Rover from REI this week.   Though it is 14 feet and will be used similar to your description with some fishing also. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 04:00:09 AM »
Another plus one for an iSUP...

There are some amazing river spec inflatables out there and also some multi purpose iSUPs would suit your needs.

In my quiver - I would use my Starboard Touring Astro 14! It can run up to grade 2 with ease, handes long seas crossings and also surfs overhead without any problems :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 04:00:44 AM »
BadfishSUP come HIGHLY recommended too  8)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 04:03:41 AM »
I will take the inflatable suggestions to heart, but I have yet to find one that felt as good or had the feedback and response of a traditional style board. They also all seem to float really high on the water... I will have to get my feet on some more, i suppose.

Also, I should clarify that 95% of the time this will be lake cruising. That other 5% will be rivers, but not whitewater (think relaxation, not thrill ride). If I have to get a second board or rent for the rivers, then I will, but I am trying to get 1 that will do lakes easy and rivers managably..(if that makes any sense at all)

I will also look into the ABS Rubicon as well.

Thank you for all of the advice and recommendations so far. Great community you guys have built up

Try before you buy is really your best option but it sounds like you'll end up with 2 boards before you know it.  ;D 8)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 10:24:15 PM »
Quote from: sigment on May 18, 2016, 07:41:22 AM

"Your comments on a carbon paddle did raise another question... Are carbon paddles (a high quality specimen) durable enough to push off of rocks with or should I go with an alternative?"

----------

One great paddle to consider is the Werner Carve (prob medium blade). The fixed version is very light, around 21 ounces, with a carbon composite shaft and a glass blade. Close to indestructible. I've had one for 5 years and, although now relegated to guest duty, it remains in excellent condition. I think they've been phased out, but are still on the market. Check Backcountry.com. 

Also check this old video of whitewater dude Dan Gavere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iKQ44GY5DM

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:32:25 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 06:44:58 AM »
I will be picking up a Lakeshore River Rover from REI this week.   Though it is 14 feet and will be used similar to your description with some fishing also. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That seems to be a great board for what it is. I wish the pad went back a bit farther but that is a small gripe.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal