Author Topic: The Ohmygoditsfreezing Gorge Report  (Read 10222 times)

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Ohmygoditsfreezing Gorge Report
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »
Didn't hear from her, I'm sure she figured it out.

JP--call me if you need a shuttle. We need to re-establish the viento junkies text list. Or maybe there still is one and my connection got toasted. I lost most of the numbers in my address book. We can stagger around together and make Covesurfer nervous. Yours will probably heal though, mine is more or less permanent.

Sounds good PB. I ain't very fast, but at least I'm consistently slow.

From my experience the best way to make Cove nervous is to load up his board in your rig for a shuttle to the start of a downwind race, and then stand around and drink coffee until the last possible minute. That makes him really fidgety, if not borderline angry. I know lots of ways to make him nervous in a bike race, but he ran away to Maui, so I can taunt him no more  ;D.
JP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
Actually he goes totally bugfuck if I touch his board, so I never get that far. Smack a board into the ground or a signpost a few times and the guy will just never forget it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
Crap wind in the gorge today, but the parts I was waiting for came, as well as some new stones for my cylinder hone, so I stuck the crank back in my race motor, honed the cylinders in the dummy block I have set up to squash them with normal head torque, and installed them along with new rod bearings and new rings on the pistons. Probably one more full day to finish the motor. I'd finish off the bottom end, install the crank scraper, and get the oil pan on, but Diane just got back from PDX and announced that she's hungry.

This is one weird town. We have a lot of really great restaurants here, but one of them is at the Best Western hotel. It feels very strange to drive an extra half mile to go eat at a Best Western, but I'm hungry for their Salmon. So yeah, we're doing it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:21:57 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 07:22:18 PM »
You all probably thought I'd lost it, but this is your basic Best Western Diner. Wild Chinook Salmon caught four hours ago on the Wind River, delivered whole to the restaurant and filetted in the kitchen, fresh morels delivered to the kitchen an hour before we ate them, by the forager who found them up on Mt. Hood. Baby yellow and green spring peas with fresh asparagus. No, I didn't take the picture right away, I don't do food pictures. I had a couple of bites and said "sorry, I have to do this". The chef came out and told us the details because we raved to the server about how good the restaurant is. "Those Morels got to the kitchen an hour ago, the salmon was swimming in the Wind River four hours ago".  At a f*&%ng Best Western.

They didn't even mention the Morels on the menu, they didn't have them when they briefed the servers. They just added them. Fresh morels are $150 a pound, pretty much everyplace but places like Hood River where you can buy them from foragers for about 20 bucks a pound.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:33:25 PM by PonoBill »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 08:49:16 PM »
JP4, you are obviously in the honeymoon period with PB. He probably hasn't holed your board or cracked the edge of your very hard to get, one-off, one macanu paddle yet. But that's ok. Give it some time. He's flat out hazardous around expensive, delicate gear. And, he'll tell newbies stories that are designed to scare the living snot out of them. But, we love the guy anyway. I'm going to miss seeing him out there in this big south we're getting. Hey, Beele, wea you stay??

Everything makes me nervous. And irritable. Get the f*% off my goddamn lawn!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 08:53:10 PM »
Oh, yeah, almost forgot. The Hood River Best Western is everything PB says it is and more. They have a fantastic happy hour in the bar where you can get some amazing food, including their prime rib (if I remember right) at true bargain prices. Which means you can afford a few drinks too. They have a great pasta with meat marinara that's making me hungry just thinking about it. Another treat is Montiras in the Dalles. They are a Thai restaurant and their food is really, really ono. You like try go grind theah. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 12:39:18 AM »
What a crazy downwinder I did today. Multiple weather conditions and wind directions. I was the only guy on the shuttle, but they took me anyway. Everyone else bailed because the conditions looked weird. Wind was super light, almost just asked the shuttle driver to take me back, but I wanted the exercise. Little bumps left over from the wind earlier, and wind out of the south--not helpful. When I got to mitchell point a rainstorm hit with wicked wind gusts.  The chop was so strange it felt like someone was pushing down on the back of my board. Then it straigntened out, then the wind blew from the north, then there was a big rolling swell coming from nowhere, then it howled again just as I was getting in. I'd say it sucked, but it didn't. It was kind of fun.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »
Am I missing any wind today? Well, i don't care because I took the kids to the coast and despite a pretty crappy forecast, the gods delivered some really good conditions today.
We pulled into Indian yesterday late afternoon and it was no conditions for old men, with winds cranking and clean up sets that were well overhead. Fun watching my 17 yr old son getting worked though :)
Today was light wind early that glassed  off in the afternoon with  waist to shoulder high sets coming in like a wave machine. Not much waiting around. Still had some remnants of a south swell delivering the occasional extra sweet rides. Extra bonus was my 11 year old daughter caught her first ocean waves  today on my L41. She had a couple really good rides and is now super excited about surfing. Last year she was really afraid of the ocean, so it was a big breakthrough moment:). It really helped that she spent last summer riding the wind swell at the Event Site, so she already had the pop up down cold.
We're down here for a couple more days, so hopefully our luck will continue.
The Oregon coast is so hit and miss that it's extra sweet when it's good.
Hope y'all are getting the goods in the Gorge.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 06:13:21 PM »
Am I missing any wind today?

Hope y'all are getting the goods in the Gorge.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
It seemed to get good around 4pm. I thought about going, but my neighbor, my usual shuttle partner, passed. I could have figured out another solution, but decided to save it for tomorrow. It is now 6:15 and it has backed off somewhat.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Rock and roll
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »
Nukin gorge day. Wow, that was good, especially the second half. First half was fine, not huge wind but big rollers. Not hard to catch, and they really got the sled going. Second half was flat out nutso, with Wells ringing like a gong. I got a waist high swell at the edge of the sandbar that I rode for a couple of hundred yards. Crazy fast. I looked over at Swell city and the Hatchery and kicked myself for not crossing the river, but there was a lot of south in the wind, and I would have paid some dues to get back from the north side. Anyway, definitely a day to do two or three runs, but i called it one to have a beer with some friends. If you're thinking about coming to hood river, hat up. It's nuking through friday.

I sat down and waited for people twice, fell five times, and still did 1:39. Just that kind of day. I came into the event center locked up and sliding. When I got out of the water I put my paddle through the loops and carried it two-handed out of the water. The wind still yanked it out of my hands and rolled it across the sand straight at a lady who stood there chewing something that looked suspiciously like a cud. A few more flops and the board would have tipped her.

Lazlo, that custom board ain't doing you a bit of good other than giving you a good workout. Hang it on a wall and ride the SIC.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:05:23 PM by PonoBill »

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rock and roll
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »

Lazlo, that custom board ain't doing you a bit of good other than giving you a good workout. Hang it on a wall and ride the SIC.

Bill I think you are right. The board came in at 37lbs, even though it is "carbon". Very stable, but slow. On a huge day, maybe Blalock to Arlington it would work. Today I really could have used a rudder.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 08:31:34 PM »
I wouldn't waste a big wind day on that board. Sometime stuff doesn't work out. I have a rack full of stuff I never touch because I got somethig better. Hard to beat SIC Bullets on days like today, though the racy guys like the new Naishes and Starboards. I thought you had a SIC 14 Bullet V2?  If you don't, you should rent one ffrom Big winds and give it a go. At your weight it should be fast.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:37:35 PM by PonoBill »

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 11:00:40 PM »
Wow, what a fun day! I went out about an hour ahead of you guys on the shuttle with my old friend Dennis from Bend and my son Elkin. Had an absolute gas and was just surfing at will, pretty much effortless with the strong wind and slow current.
We must have been going the same speed PB, I waited for my buddy three times and did a 1:39. I also thought hard about plowing right through the Hatchery, but didn't want to paddle back across.  When I ripped into the Event Site, I figured I'd do a few laps of the surf break while I waited. Bad idea. It was so windy I had to paddle on my knee's to get back up to the west end of the ES where I like to get out and put my board in the lee of the trees. My son was already up on the grass ogling bikinis for quite a while by then.
Wells Xpress was crazy good today. I had the Gopro on and captured this little 45 second glide just west of the island.
Looks like it's going to blow for the rest of the week!

Troy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:50 AM »
Your clip says it all about that section yesterday.
So fun...just skimming.
T

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 04:02:13 PM »
There were some major league bikinis to ogle yesterday and today. Oh to be 20 in Hood River.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal