Author Topic: The Ohmygoditsfreezing Gorge Report  (Read 10252 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The Ohmygoditsfreezing Gorge Report
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
Took ten minutes in the steam shower to stop shaking, but we had a nice run today. The first half was pretty tough--lots of wind and swell, but the current was ripping. If you weren't in a bump, you weren't going nowhere. Once we hit the Wells Express though it was flat out racetrack, the Gorge at it's finest. Big steep faces ripping over relatively shallow water with 40 kts of wind knocking the tops off. I spent most of the time on the rudder pulley, just hanging on and pretending to steer. My board was going so fast it was making humming sounds. the gorge feels downright vicious after two plus weeks of Maliko runs. Malikos have the nosebleed drops, the Gorge has out of control speed and bumps that wear you knees out in a hundred yards. It was a great day for practicing banked turns. I felt like I was on an airplane sometimes.

Did I mention the water is cold? I fell in three times. Under similar condition in Maui it would have been ten or more falls, but the price if a faceplant is much higher in the gorge. I couldn't paddle on my left side, my knee is getting juiced tomorrow, but I'm unstable right now. I'd switch sides, and it would feel great, I'd catch a few nice bumps and then hit something solid and go in. No pain, buckling, just insufficiently stable.

The road warrior (Art Aquino) was romping on his Bullet. Rod was on a Naish 14 that didn't suit the conditions. Anytime I can keep Rod in sight there's something wrong. Today I finished about 50 yards behind him. The square tail on his Naish was shoving him around and messing up his glides. Great board for normal gorge conditions, but that's wasn't what we got.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Ohmygoditsfreezing Gorge Report
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 08:51:33 PM »
Good start. Keep em coming.

Maliko started cranking again yesterday. Went standup today and did 1:06. Ralf, Kathy and Devin all put a couple minutes into me. The water is nice and warm. Did I mention that?

Sounds like a fun day in the Gorge. Looking forward to the reports, I see you did 6 man this morning too. Up to all the old tricks, eh? Good for you!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:42:18 AM »
What's the water temp over there and what do you wear for the paddling?

Water 8 degrees C here and still in thick wetties......although it is warming up air temp wise.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:53:30 AM by coldsup »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 12:52:22 AM »
What's the water temp?
I feel a Crocodile Dundee moment coming on.. "that's not cold, THIS is cold". And you'd probably be right. I'll bet PB wasn't wearing 6mm suit, 8mm boots, hood, gloves and full thermal gear underneath like you North Sea guys do in winter.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:54:27 AM »
What's the water temp?
I feel a Crocodile Dundee moment coming on.. "that's not cold, THIS is cold". And you'd probably be right. I'll bet PB wasn't wearing 6mm suit, 8mm boots, hood, gloves and full thermal gear underneath like you North Sea guys do in winter.

Yup, guess if you are in light clothing a dunk in the Gorge just now will freeze you!

The only time I have SUPd in a pair of boardies and t shirt was in Tenerife 😂 Love to try the Gorge.....looks brilliant.....green with envy PonoB.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:00:36 AM by coldsup »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:18:41 AM »
What is it you haggis-bashers say? "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing choices"?

I think you need to give PB some clothing advice :)

And yes, I'd love to be at the Gorge right now too. Maybe when I win the lottery. PB is a lucky guy.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:39:48 AM »

The square tail on his Naish was shoving him around and messing up his glides. Great board for normal gorge conditions, but that’s wasn’t what we got.

Tell us more about the issue and the conditions that aren’t compatible with it.

I’m guessing a pin tail can sink and brake easier? The square tail being too hard to sink to slow down. Is that it?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:39:01 AM »
Mmmmm...58 degree water gets an OMG?  Let's get together.  I'll warm you some milk and rub your tummy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:02:37 AM by Admin »

Hodad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 06:49:34 AM »
Nothing like some cold water to keep you motivated to stay on your feet.  I haven't had the chance to get outyet around here due to needing a new wetsuit, but cool that you braved the conditions anyway and had a fun run.  maybe someday i can get the chance to experience it too. 8)
Nobody listens to Turtle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
I was wearing tights, boardshorts (just to protect the sensibilities of anyone that might accidentally see my ass in tights) a 1mil neoprene short sleeve shirt and an Infinity long sleeve hoodie rash guard. Bare feet--grabbed the wrong booties and couldn't use them with my rudder. Problem is if I wear full rubber my head would boil when I'm up on the board, but when you go in the water, it's brisk. Then you get back up and you're wearing wet clothes in a 40 kt, 60 degree wind. With the wicked current the ten miles takes two hours.

Whine, whine. I'd go again today but I gotta go get my knee lubed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »
I think a "harden the fuck up" is in order here..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 08:15:13 AM »
I was waiting for it. Now that the shoe dropped I can go about my day. I do believe admin said the same thing, though he used more words and offered to rub my belly, which ain't happening.

And yeah, Yugi, I think in that strong current any time you aren't in a glide you have steep-faced ramps hitting the tail of your board and constantly shoving it. The Gorge is infamous for the steep faces--the current against the swells pops them up. It's challenging but tolerable with a smooth pintail, grim with a square tail. Rod is in great shape and he said his legs were done by Mitchell point. Mine were too, but if I had been on his board I would have been on my knees in the eddy line.

Sounds like something Trump would say.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:19:49 AM by PonoBill »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »
In 60 degree air and high winds, I could wear a full 3/2 suit and still be cold. I guess the ultimate would be a farmer john with a zippered jacket for those days when overheating might be a problem.

I wish we had someplace like the Gorge on the East Coast. I could really get into conditions like that.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:58:29 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »
Had a really good run yesterday. Didn't expect it. Fell twice. My Motion-X said 1:15 to the event center, but I didn't start it until I got to the middle of the river. Hannah Hill and TJ kicked my ass, about five to ten minutes ahead. I was close most of the way, but they went to the washington side, and I think it was a lot better for the last half. Today it's blowing light east. Nice and glassy for the six macanu this morning, but mostly rode my trike a lot and cleaned the shop. Cleaning my shop is an endless task. I've been working on ti for three days waiting for my block to be done at the machine shop. Looks the same as when I started. Sometimes ADD is just not constructive.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Finally got my first downwinder of the season, after being here for several weeks already. Also my first downwinder after shoulder surgery and my first time out on my latest board, a Bullet 14 V2. All in all, a good day! We did our usual Northshore run, from Drano lake to the White Salmon. It will take a few more runs before I get back in shape, and the same to get the new board dialed in. I don't know if was just me but the middle of the run, from tunnel 5 through the Hatchery, was as mixed up and confused as I have ever seen it. I went through there feeling, and looking I'm sure, like a kook. Fell off multiple times. Had a wise ass kiter go by while I was sitting on my board after another fall and ask if I was "stuck".

The good news is my shoulder doesn't hurt. The bad news is that everything else does.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal