Author Topic: Boardroom Show?  (Read 3111 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Boardroom Show?
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:38:39 AM »
I'm here today. Anyone else?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Boardroom Show?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 01:04:26 PM »
I'm here.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:44:19 AM »
Dang man, I missed it.

I need to post some pics. Saw some great boards, got to talk to a lot of legends (Ekstrom, Tomo, Jeff Clark, Greg Liddle just to name a few) got to hear Dave Daum talk about process and layups on his boards. I'll add that to my old glossing schedule thread.

Learned more about boards in an afternoon than I could have in a year. Even got to run a planer with a teacher watching me and get some tips thanks to Foam EZ.

In a cool but hilarious moment I was griping to a friend who makes Eco resin about how nasty Poly was and 5 min later I answered a trivia question and won a gallon of Silmar Poly. In good news, the classic longboard I'm restoring just got cheaper.

Short term inspirations, do color work. There are some true artists out there and I want to start messing with color. And Agave, I have to start collecting some. It's nasty and hard to deal with but its really an unbelievable looking material and 100% sustainable. Greg Liddel (liddle?) built a 9' by 24" (!!) Agave Simmons inspired board that I went back to look at 3 times. It was hypnotizing.

Last bit, move beyond fiberglass and start adding other fabrics, and not just high tech. Agave, flax and other fibers were all over and being used in regular layups in a glass sandwich for look and performance.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
I really wanted to go but I couldn't make it this year. It's fun to watch them shape. I learn a ton whenever I go too. Did you see living legend Gerry Lopez?

(I have suggested to Scott Bass that he honor Skip Frye while he's still alive but Skip doesn't want to do it.)
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:57:41 PM »
Saw Gerry, but I'm such a fan that I just read his stuff and let him be. Don't wanna ruin my man crush. Lol

I'm a little sick today but I want to get this Dave Daum info out before I forget it. They mentioned that they had a few broken boards a year when they did double 6 deck and 6 oz bottoms but then they moved to triple 4 on top and double 4 bottoms and haven't had a single broken board since. As as been said here, layers win.

The other thing I thought was wild was hearing that they use plain resin with nothing in it to seal their blanks. Little water uptake if you crack a skin and it soaks way less resin in when you lam. I'm gonna have to try it for my next board. I gotta move this into the layup thread.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 02:06:37 PM »
Do his triple 4 oz on deck and double on bottom have a deck patch too?

Did he say anything about sanding the blank after sealing it with plain resin?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »
dave put out a few laminating clips on his face book page which were quite handy.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »
Magenta, they did mention knocking the bumps off of the blank before glassing with 100 grit.

He didn't mention a deck patch and they didn't put one on the board they were doing. I'm gonna try that schedule on my next board and see how it goes. I'm committed to going lighter until I start denting them up pretty good.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 03:05:15 AM »
Magenta, they did mention knocking the bumps off of the blank before glassing with 100 grit.

He didn't mention a deck patch and they didn't put one on the board they were doing. I'm gonna try that schedule on my next board and see how it goes. I'm committed to going lighter until I start denting them up pretty good.

I've been doing 2x4oz S bottom and 2x and 3x 4oz S tops with small carbon patch in heavy dent prone zone for the last five years. On 1.5 lb. the deck will dent without additional patch around handle area. The volume of the board affects how much patching is needed. Tiny, sinkers, dent less. High volume dents more in my experience. They need carbon tape too. I've seen buckling boards when tape is not used. Stringless BTW

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »

I wonder how he knocks off the bumps after sealing when it's a painted blank?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 12:05:07 PM »
Saw Gerry, but I'm such a fan that I just read his stuff and let him be. Don't wanna ruin my man crush. Lol

Good idea, Gerry's pretty quiet, though if you get him going he's funny as hell. On one of the shuttle trips a few years ago he was instructing Covesurfer on how to get along in Hawaii. We're still laughing about it years later.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 08:53:31 PM »
Magenta, if you do enough ding repair, you'll get good at using a block to just knock the tops off of things without hitting the paint. ;)

Pono, I've read "Surf Is Where You Find It" 2 or 3 times.

DW, like a lot of things,  people at the top levels of most things find their way to similar solutions a lot of th time. There are a million ways to do things but only s few that consistently work. The more I look around, the more I appreciate your methods.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal