Author Topic: SUP Sports "Hammer": 8'11"x31" or 9'5"x31"  (Read 23760 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Sports "Hammer": 8'11"x31" or 9'5"x31"
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
That is a very nice looking brushed carbon foil sup. Since this is Sunday evening as I type this (where I live in Texas) and tomorrow (Monday) is the 4th of July, I would guess you would be taking your brand new foil sup for a little "test ride" early tomorrow morning.  ;)

If that foil sup was mine, I know I would.  8)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
Garcias Jose...
You think I might be a wee bit excited?...;-)
I'm like most every client we have when it comes to a new ride...kinda like a new girlfriend, from what I can still remember...;-)
It gets very difficult to sleep at night...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2016, 08:49:49 PM »
Garcias Jose...
You think I might be a wee bit excited?...;-)
I'm like most every client we have when it comes to a new ride...kinda like a new girlfriend, from what I can still remember...;-)
It gets very difficult to sleep at night...;-)

Since my new Hammer should be arriving around July 15 (which is a Friday), July 16th (which is a Saturday) and since FedEx isn't open on Sunday, I could theoretically get it as late as July 18th (which is a Monday).

In other words, when I return home from the shipping company on any of those days with my new Hammer, it will be brutally hot heat index wise (feeling like 110 degrees or more). With my Hammer in the garage, if I couldn't sleep that night, there will be enough moonlight on the above dates to be able to see for a "middle of the night" paddle on my subdivision's lake.  ;D

After all, I'm a night owl.  ;)
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »
Aloha Night Wing,
I've been up north on a road trip visiting friends and have been off the grid the last couple of weeks...just rolled in...
It looks like my staff padded and fired your new board off...was told that it is in the 16# range naked...
Here's a few pics...enjoy...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2016, 05:04:20 PM »
@WarDog

I received a phone call from Al on Monday, July 18th at 2:26pm my central time (12:26pm pacific your time) telling me my board was going to ship later Monday afternoon. I received the confirmation email and the FedEx tracking number at 12:52pm today (Tuesday) and of course Microsoft's Outlook put the email in my Hotmail spam folder, but I was on the lookout for it. The Hammer is scheduled for delivery this Friday, July 22nd. The FedEx local distribution center on Jackrabbit Rd told me when it arrives, they will call me to come and pick it up. I'll take pictures of the carton if there are any holes on the carton. Ditto if any area on the carton looks crushed. BTW, your shop really must mummify your shipped boards because the carton is listed at 86 pounds. After I inspect the carton, I'll open it up at the FedEx facility. I already know about the "Possible Concealed Damage Pending Full Inspection" which I will put on the receipt before I open the carton.

Now for the fun part of this message. All the pictures of my finished Hammer look great. And I know you know I love that seafoam green color. Love the black pinstripe too. Can't wait to paddle my Hammer wearing my new Hammer t-shirt too  ;) I plan on taking her out for a flat water paddling session early Saturday mornihng, first with the one long weed fin and then with the 5 fin setup, with the nubster, to see if she will track straight with both fin configurations.

Please tell all of your crew who worked on and helped build my Hammer how much I appreciate their help and expertise. Thanks for all of your help also with posting the many pictures of my Hammer from start to finish in this topic.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2016, 02:28:05 PM »
I went down to the closest FedEx shipping terminal this morning and picked up my Hammer sup. The carton containing my Hammer weighed 85 pounds. There were no holes in the carton, no tears, no dents and no smushed in edges either. Then I proceeded to open the shipping container at the FedEx terminal.

Inside the heavy cardboard shipping container was another smaller cardboard shipping container. There were no holes in this carton, no tears, no dents and no smushed in edges either in the smaller cardboard carton.

Inside the second cardboard container was my "mummified" Hammer. There was paper and lots of bubble wrap surrounding my Hammer. Once I peeled away the bubble wrap, there was heavy cardboard protecting the nose and tail of my Hammer. There was also cardboard along all the rails protecting the rails from nose to tail. When I finally lifted my Hammer out of it's cocoon, I think the it weighs 16 pounds with pad attached. From start to finish, it took me 7 minutes before the Hammer was free of all cardboard, bubblewrap and paper.

WarDog's crew at his shop really know how to package a paddleboard to ship it anywhere where it will arrive at it's destination damage free. WarDog suggested using FedEx Priority and I'm glad I went with his decision. BTW, my wife went with me and she took one photo at the FedEx shipping terminal and I hope to post it sometime later.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »
I went down to the closest FedEx shipping terminal this morning and picked up my Hammer sup.
WarDog's crew at his shop really know how to package a paddleboard to ship it anywhere where it will arrive at it's destination damage free. WarDog suggested using FedEx Priority and I'm glad I went with his decision. BTW, my wife went with me and she took one photo at the FedEx shipping terminal and I hope to post it sometime later.
He does pack it pretty bombproof, but it is far more exciting when the semi pulls up next to your house and you gots some splaining to do.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2016, 03:03:19 PM »
I went down to the closest FedEx shipping terminal this morning and picked up my Hammer sup.
He does pack it pretty bombproof, but it is far more exciting when the semi pulls up next to your house and you gots some splaining to do.

Warren wanted me to pick it up at the FedEx facility and open it there instead of having it delivered to my home. In Warren's mind, the less people who handle the carton, the less likely the carton would encounter any damage. No need to tempt "Murphy's Law".  ;)

When I arrived at the FedEx shipping terminal, one of the employees brought the 85 pound carton out to me on a hand dolly and the carton was strapped to the dolly. He told me they had 5 more sup cartons in the terminal from different manufacturers, but this carton was the thickest of all the cartons and it weighed much more than any of the other 5 cartons. It was basically triple boxed. Although I haven't weighed my Hammer yet (and I will), with pad on it, I'm guessing it comes in around 17 1/2 pounds.

As for that "explaining to do", I'm an adventurous man who loves a little danger every now and then. In other words, I took my wife with me to the FedEx terminal. When my wife finally saw the unmummified Hamme, she told me it looked great. And she, like me, likes the seafoam green color.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2016, 08:26:22 PM »
Looking forward to a ride report.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:25 PM »
@Zooport

I took my new Hammer for a test ride on my subdivision's lake at 7:30am Saturday morning before the air temperature got extremely hot since where I live in Texas, we're under a very hot dome of air. Today's heat index reached 108 degrees where I live. Our subdivision's lake water is 89 degrees F.

I'll give a test ride report when I get accustomed to my Hammer since it has an entirely different feel on the water than my 12' Hobie. I also had to shorten my paddle length (I use an adjustable length paddle) because my Hobie is 4.75 " thick, but my Hammer is only 4" thick. I plan on doing a flat water freshwater lake report and a saltwater surfing report so there will eventually be two reports. These will be separate reports so don't look for them in this topic thread.

I plan on doing another test ride Sunday morning since I want to do some more experimentation which I didn't get around to doing on Saturday morning.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »
How does it happen that Fedex takes such a big package;  at least, without charging an arm and a leg?

They have some limit of 165 inches, length plus girth, and your board and boxes certainly exceed that number.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2016, 07:26:13 AM »
@Billekrub

Well, I'm not privy to the shipping policies of FedEx. For a more detailed explanation, I guess you'd have to ask SUP Sports how they deal with FedEx with regards to shipping restrictions.

As for the cost, I paid $160 for the shipping from Santa Barbara, California to the FedEx terminal in northwest Houston where I picked my Hammer up at. I don't know if $160 would be considered "an arm and a leg" cost wise. But in my way of thinking, to get my Hammer shipped to me in the way I wanted it packaged to reduce the likely hood of damage, once the cost of my Hammer went over $2000, what's another $160? To me, that $160 is just the "cost of doing business".

As the old saying goes; "If you want to play, you're going to pay".

BTW, if anyone is wondering why I haven't made any "first impressions" yet on my new Hammer, on my last trip to my subdivision's freshwater lake a week ago today to experiment with a number of different fin configurations (5 fin, 4 fin, 3 fin, single large fin) for flat water paddling in a straight line, there was "pond scum" on top of the water and a brown spider sitting on the water (which I didn't see in time) bit the top of my left hand close to the webbing between my thumb and index finger. The spider's venom caused a necrosis wound which is flesh eating. My soft tissue surgeon will not allow me to go sup paddling, in either fresh or salt water, until my wound is 100% healed. The wound is now healing, but it's healing slowly.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2016, 08:30:37 AM »
Oh my gosh, of all the rotten luck!  You waited all this time for your cool new board and this has to happen.  So sorry. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »
wow- thats a rough first ride...

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2016, 06:28:31 PM »
Thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal