Author Topic: Naish 2017 Javelin Maliko?  (Read 28026 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish 2017 Javelin Maliko?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
plus I can endlessly confuse and amuse myself with a bajillion different fin combos.
on many way to spend some time.... :-)

Can confirm that Luc is very well known around these parts for his fin collections for SUP and from his old windsurfing days.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
I had a couple of hours paddling on the maliko 14x26 yesterday and it felt ok. Nothing there that felt amazing but fairly well balanced. I had it out In st Kilda harbour in 15-25 knots doing some bump riding as the waves came under the pier. First thing I noticed was you had to get back super fast to stay in control I expect due to the hard chines in the nose, it does not feel to comfortable on glides when you are in the centre of the board and not at full cruising speed. The other thing you need to get back fast for is to keep the nose out, once that thing starts to go under on a steeper drop its tends to carry on going deeper until you come to a stop which you would expect from a reverse nose like it is. Once up to speed it surfs fairly nicely and holds the glides quite well.
The 26" width is very stable mainly due to the nice low centre of gravity. Going up wind felt good and not to slappy and the board felt fairly stiff.
Kick turns felt like the volume is not quite distributed quite right for my liking and it gets quite tippy when spinning on the spot however goes around fairly easy.
I had a bit of a walk into the wind to take the board back and while the handle felt well cantered it was defiantly not light a super light weigh board, I hope that is made up for in a little more durability however imposable to say on a board only a few month old.
There is defiantly a few things I think that could be improved on fairly easily however it felt a lot better than some of the mega volumes boards I have paddled recently. Some one get me the cad files and let me have a tweak around.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 01:39:37 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure you could improve upon the wave-riding and DW abilities of the Maliko. But the question is whether you could do so and still have a board that Caspar could win flat water sprint races on at eg. the ISAs last year. Most of the Naish marketing strategy for the Maliko is based on race results, and many of the races are quite flat for much of the time. Unfortunately neither Naish nor Starboard have an out-and-out DW board in their range any more, even though they both used to have. I guess that part of it is the tyranny of racing - for instance people say that the Ace is a good downwinder, but it isn't really: what it is is a *fast* downwinder if you have excellent skills. For the average person in decent-sized bumps and proper wind (eg. thigh-high bumps and 25+ knots) the Ace is a torture machine, fast between falls. That's not really a "good downwinder" board IMO, it's just a fast one for the right person, which is not the same: a good DWer flatters all riders, makes DWing a pleasure, and is highly versatile in the conditions it shines in. To a certain extent I think this might be the compromise that Naish have also made with the Maliko maybe? Fast if if you have the footwork, and are the same weight as Caspar. A bit tricky for anyone else, especially in festive DW conditions?

How well does it surf? To my mind the obvious role for the Maliko might be a beach race perhaps: could the lack of volume in the tail be there to aid pivot turns when on a wave, trying to avoid Connor Baxter who is trying to force you offline? ;)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »
most of the changes I would personally make are near or above the waterline so shouldn't effect flat water speed, just mainly improve handling and improve average speed as a result of that

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 02:40:08 AM »
I had a couple of hours paddling on the maliko 14x26 yesterday and it felt ok. Nothing there that felt amazing but fairly well balanced. I had it out In st Kilda harbour in 15-25 knots doing some bump riding as the waves came under the pier. First thing I noticed was you had to get back super fast to stay in control I expect due to the hard chines in the nose, it does not feel to comfortable on glides when you are in the centre of the board and not at full cruising speed. The other thing you need to get back fast for is to keep the nose out, once that thing starts to go under on a steeper drop its tends to carry on going deeper until you come to a stop which you would expect from a reverse nose like it is. Once up to speed it surfs fairly nicely and holds the glides quite well.
The 26" width is very stable mainly due to the nice low centre of gravity. Going up wind felt good and not to slappy and the board felt fairly stiff.
Kick turns felt like the volume is not quite distributed quite right for my liking and it gets quite tippy when spinning on the spot however goes around fairly easy.
I had a bit of a walk into the wind to take the board back and while the handle felt well cantered it was defiantly not light a super light weigh board, I hope that is made up for in a little more durability however imposable to say on a board only a few month old.
There is defiantly a few things I think that could be improved on fairly easily however it felt a lot better than some of the mega volumes boards I have paddled recently. Some one get me the cad files and let me have a tweak around.

I'm obviously going to be biased here but I'd actually agree with your assessment. I find it goes well in the chop and the wind due to its profile but I also feel that the board for my weight needs a little more volume in the tail to help with moving rearward and that the trimming sweetspot around the handle area isn't as big as something like an Allstar. I do get the feeling its been specifically designed for  Lenny or Steinfath.

If they did a version with about 5% more volume and in a 25 width, it would be perfect. It is the most predictable and stable board for its width I've ever used though.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2017, 02:50:28 AM »
most of the changes I would personally make are near or above the waterline so shouldn't effect flat water speed, just mainly improve handling and improve average speed as a result of that
The biggest change I'd make would be on the price tag ;)

It's surprising what difficulty several of the main brands are having creating their all-water raceboard designs right now. Starboard is having success with the All Star, but the Falcon, Maliko, and FX are attracting mixed reviews. It's obviously a hard nut to crack because some other brands haven't really even got an all-conditions board.

I'd be interested to hear from people who've paddled and downwinded the Maliko and the 2017 Jav back-to-back in choppy conditions. Is the Jav really much worse than the Maliko to downwind?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2017, 03:09:46 AM »
Obviously not back to back or quite right but i paddled jo's 12'6 javlin which she says was a pre production for 2017, not sure how similar it compares to the 14 but It didn't DW well at all even in small condions, it was very hard to get going and keep going. Saying that I think for the maliko to feel good you would want a medium size day down wind to get the speed high enuff to get it working.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:15:26 AM by supuk »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 05:10:22 AM »
Ok, yeah thanks. I took a look of a vid of the Jav 2017 and it looks like soft rails almost all round so I guess it wouldn't plane easily. Tim Rowe posted that vid of a guy DWing the Jav and it looks like maybe he caught a couple of bumps but perhaps they were the kind of conditions where anything would have worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVwFXE7XRI&sns=em

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
sukup, oddly I got the same feeling. I expected it to take off on nothing and fly but it doesn't begin to become fun until medium winds. Then it's a railroad machine. And then when strong it becomes a handful (we got really messed up stuff here). I'm learning but it is is tricky.

Flatwater and allround chop it rules.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »

It's surprising what difficulty several of the main brands are having creating their all-water raceboard designs right now. Starboard is having success with the All Star, but the Falcon, Maliko, and FX are attracting mixed reviews. It's obviously a hard nut to crack because some other brands haven't really even got an all-conditions board.

I can't find any reviews of the 2017 fanatics at all. That's a shame as they look much improved.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2017, 02:12:34 PM »

I can't find any reviews of the 2017 fanatics at all. That's a shame as they look much improved.

I paddled the fanatic 14' 24.75 a few weeks back and for its width I felt its initial stability was not so good but it did have a little better secondary stability. I felt was wobbling more than I would like on a board that wide, but no surprise standing so high above the water line. As expected cross wind with so much side area and volume was hard work. Up wind was not quite as nice as good as the maliko ether however it did hold a small glide slightly better. I did not get a chance to try it in any bigger bumps unfortunately and again the board was relatively new so cant comment on construction, it was perhaps a touch lighter than the naish. 

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
Looked like that 24 Jav 2017 in the vid A10 linked was struggling DW to stay on a bump and was a touch tippy for the rider.

I did have a chance to check out the 2017 SB AS in person but not on the water.  The chamfered edge on the one that was available was wavy and not uniform like it should be.  Was also told that probably no 2017 Sprints or AS23 will be available for demo this year - and will only take prepaid special orders for those boards.  A few 2016 new and demo AS stock were still on the shelves unsold.  It seems the market is very small indeed for boards 23 and under as one would expect.

Would not surprise me at all that Naish looks to tailor their most narrow race boards for Kai and Casper etc.  As well SB for Connor and other top pros they sponsor.  Makes complete sense for max efficiency and speed.  Also makes completes sense SB dropped that Race 25 a couple of years ago.  It was one step too far unstable in race conditions.  Just too many balance checks.

I am convinced now that wider is much slower for me in docile ocean conditions - and the 23 is optimal at this point.  While wider like 28 is much more fun for me DW in rough and festive conditions.  It appears supuk that your insights and reviews do probably help a lot of paddlers looking for different types of boards.  Your design and repair experience comes in handy.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
Paddled the 2016 Maliko 14 x 26" 3 times now, I think the balance is outstanding on this board. Loved it in side chop, off the wind in smaller waves and on the flats. I found I could really lock in on this board and my stroke was better every time I paddled it.  It's hard to explain why a board works for you sometimes but this board really made me smile. Can anyone compare it to the 2017? I'm 5'9" 179 lbs
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:48:46 PM by Stefan »
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2017, 02:08:24 AM »
Paddled the 2016 Maliko 14 x 26" 3 times now, I think the balance is outstanding on this board. Loved it in side chop, off the wind in smaller waves and on the flats. I found I could really lock in on this board and my stroke was better every time I paddled it.  It's hard to explain why a board works for you sometimes but this board really made me smile. Can anyone compare it to the 2017? I'm 5'9" 179 lbs

That's very much my view of the 2017 board. This will sound like the usual team rider BS but I'm 6ft 3, 94kgs and a big unit and I find it a really confidence inspiring board (and I personally need that). If I were not racing, this would be the everyday board I would keep as it covers up for poor technique and mistakes pretty well. However, whether this is the best board for someone's actual racing is a very different question and its too soon for me personally to comment on that. If I could make minor changes though, at my size I'd personally like another 10-15 litres of volume on it and an inch off the width as I've had to put a really small fin it to try and make it work my balance skills a little harder - its that stable. Bear in mind, I'm a team rider though so I'm going to have some degree of subconscious bias so demoing any new board is always essential in my view over any reply you'll see on here.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:18:52 AM by ukgm »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2017, 05:26:31 AM »

That's very much my view of the 2017 board. This will sound like the usual team rider BS but I'm 6ft 3, 94kgs and a big unit and I find it a really confidence inspiring board (and I personally need that). If I were not racing, this would be the everyday board I would keep as it covers up for poor technique and mistakes pretty well. However, whether this is the best board for someone's actual racing is a very different question and its too soon for me personally to comment on that. If I could make minor changes though, at my size I'd personally like another 10-15 litres of volume on it and an inch off the width as I've had to put a really small fin it to try and make it work my balance skills a little harder - its that stable. Bear in mind, I'm a team rider though so I'm going to have some degree of subconscious bias so demoing any new board is always essential in my view over any reply you'll see on here.

So you'll want it at 14x25 @ 275. What else would you have done shape wise to improve
your overall experience?
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal