Author Topic: Naish 2017 Javelin Maliko?  (Read 28025 times)

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish 2017 Javelin Maliko?
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:45:48 AM »
This is from the Victoria Cup in Japan. I’ve paddled the Maliko and it’s an awesome board. Its construction is excellent and also one of my favorite boards I have paddled. I was wondering if anyone has more info on what looks like the 2017 model.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish 2017 Javelin Maliko?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
Looks like DJ is going to have to get some red tribal pin striping on his new yellow FJ Cruiser.. 😉
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:07:25 PM »
Lovely looking board. Do there seem to be any changes to the shape for 2017? Was the tail always that wide?

Has anyone tried a Jav Maliko in pure flat water? How much slower is it than the normal Jav of the same width and length? (I'm guessing around 3%.)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 05:21:21 AM »
This is from the Victoria Cup in Japan. I’ve paddled the Maliko and it’s an awesome board. Its construction is excellent and also one of my favorite boards I have paddled. I was wondering if anyone has more info on what looks like the 2017 model.

Chilly, how would you compare it to your Bullet? Or the bullet 14 V2 if you had the chance to ride it?

Does seems like a very slick board. From the looks of it, they refined the bump on the nose and spread it more evenly
throughout that section.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:57:05 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 09:08:17 AM »

Chilly, how would you compare it to your Bullet? Or the bullet 14 V2 if you had the chance to ride it?

Does seems like a very slick board. From the looks of it, they refined the bump on the nose and spread it more evenly
throughout that section.

I recently sold my Bullet 12 only because I was running out of room. It’s a fun board that can do everything. The Maliko that a friend let me barrow for two races and some training was a 14x26 so it’s not a fair comparison. The Maliko was way better in every condition with the exception of surfing. I have demoed a Bullet 14 V2. It’s another great board and shines in downwind conditions, but the Maliko feels more stable and faster in flat and up wind conditions. I’m 155lb so I think the lower volume of the Maliko compared to the Bullet V2 suits me better.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »

I recently sold my Bullet 12 only because I was running out of room.

Are you getting something else instead?

Thanks for the comparison.
in progress...

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 10:16:07 AM »

I recently sold my Bullet 12 only because I was running out of room.

Are you getting something else instead?

Thanks for the comparison.

I currently have a 14x25 Starboard AllStar. Photofr has a review of the board and I really can’t add anything, his review is spot on. I think a Maliko would be a nice board to add to my quiver.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 10:22:59 AM »
That would be a sweet quiver. Let's see if someone else can chime in on the 2017 Maliko
in progress...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 02:53:42 AM »

Has anyone tried a Jav Maliko in pure flat water? How much slower is it than the normal Jav of the same width and length? (I'm guessing around 3%.)

Check the footage of the worlds. Notice how well the Jav Maliko did in the team relay, mens and womens sprints.

OK, they were probably expecting choppier or even more DW conditions for the distance race, but notice all Naish riders only brought Jav Maliko's.

Does that answer your question?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 03:28:51 AM »
The Maliko Javelin is very fast on flat water if you're able to paddle at 80-100%..

Once you slow to 60-80% it's not as fast as the normal cutting nose Javelin..

But the Maliko Javelin is more stable and more user friendly..

So if you're doing a long distance race in calm conditions and putting in a constant 60-80% the Maliko Jav might not be the best choice.. But if you're sprinting with stop start turns and in surfing or downwinding conditions or the odd rough water the Maliko Jav might be the better choice.. IMO

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 06:20:45 AM »
Thanks DJ, that sounds exactly what I'd expect.

Performances in Fiji don't tell us about Maliko vs. Flat water boards because all the riders (pretty much) took all-conditions boards. So, it showed that the Maliko can hold its own with boards like the All Star etc in flat water but not how it would have fared against the Jav, or eg. a SB Sprint or Fanatic Strike etc.

Planing nose boards certainly do seem to be able to achieve very high max speeds over short distances, if you have considerable blade power. Caspar's performance (on a Maliko) at the ISA Worlds sprints was unbelievable. I'd love to know his average speed.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 06:55:32 AM »
^ Of course a planing board is good at that. Did you notice how smooth on the board Casper is BTW? As in not bobbing the board the way some sprinters do (Allstar marketing).

If the Jav Maliko was a dog on the flats they’d have brought flatwater boards too. There may be more optimum pure flatwater boards (that extra 10-15 cm waterline) but the downsides in less than flat aren’t worth it. This is cool for board design and progression.

Personally I love the Enduro format of Mtn bike races. Since then we have much better all-round bikes.

Hey, speaking of cutting bows and flatwater boards. What was up with Lina Augaitis doing the sprints on an Allstar?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »
The Maliko Javelin is very fast on flat water if you're able to paddle at 80-100%..
Once you slow to 60-80% it's not as fast as the normal cutting nose Javelin..
But the Maliko Javelin is more stable and more user friendly..
I agree with DJ's comment.
Speaking as a bellow average, lightweight (165 lbs) paddler, i have seen the same thing with my Blackfish 14'x26" when the going gets longer I get slower but in comfort and style because I simply cannot maintain the power over this threshold. When the sea is rougher it does not matter and I am still in comfort and style.
I was very tempted to get again a flat water board to complement but ended-up buying the same Blackfish but 14'x24". I do get a speed improvement and make that threshold closer to my capacities. Outside of price and board availability, the other factor I considered is if the conditions change drastically halfway through a paddle in one of our inlet with nowhere to go but forward would I rather be on the still stable, chop friendlier Blackfish 24" or on a pure flat-water board? Reason and caution prevailed.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 07:30:35 AM »
Speaking as a bellow average, lightweight (165 lbs) paddler, i have seen the same thing with my Blackfish 14'x26" when the going gets longer I get slower but in comfort and style because I simply cannot maintain the power over this threshold. When the sea is rougher it does not matter and I am still in comfort and style.
I was very tempted to get again a flat water board to complement but ended-up buying the same Blackfish but 14'x24". I do get a speed improvement and make that threshold closer to my capacities. Outside of price and board availability, the other factor I considered is if the conditions change drastically halfway through a paddle in one of our inlet with nowhere to go but forward would I rather be on the still stable, chop friendlier Blackfish 24" or on a pure flat-water board? Reason and caution prevailed.

Luc, did you ever measured speed in relation to cadence on your 14x24 blackfish? The common
claim about these kind of board is they respond better to higher cadence
than to slower power strokes. At least that's what I've read. Going to put
it to the test when I'll get mine shortly.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 07:57:46 AM »

Luc, did you ever measured speed in relation to cadence on your 14x24 blackfish? The common
claim about these kind of board is they respond better to higher cadence
than to slower power strokes. At least that's what I've read. Going to put
it to the test when I'll get mine shortly.

I do not have a SpeedCoach or similar to measure strokes so no I have not. But my personal observation is that it is indeed the case with the 26". I have paddled the 24" only once before making the purchase yesterday and it seems to me to reduce that effect somewhat i.e. closer to a flat water board.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal