Author Topic: Naish 2017 Javelin Maliko?  (Read 28027 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Naish 2017 Javelin Maliko?
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2017, 06:47:55 AM »
Paddled the 2016 Maliko 14 x 26" 3 times now, I think the balance is outstanding on this board. Loved it in side chop, off the wind in smaller waves and on the flats. I found I could really lock in on this board and my stroke was better every time I paddled it.  It's hard to explain why a board works for you sometimes but this board really made me smile. Can anyone compare it to the 2017? I'm 5'9" 179 lbs

That's very much my view of the 2017 board. This will sound like the usual team rider BS but I'm 6ft 3, 94kgs and a big unit and I find it a really confidence inspiring board (and I personally need that). If I were not racing, this would be the everyday board I would keep as it covers up for poor technique and mistakes pretty well. However, whether this is the best board for someone's actual racing is a very different question and its too soon for me personally to comment on that. If I could make minor changes though, at my size I'd personally like another 10-15 litres of volume on it and an inch off the width as I've had to put a really small fin it to try and make it work my balance skills a little harder - its that stable. Bear in mind, I'm a team rider though so I'm going to have some degree of subconscious bias so demoing any new board is always essential in my view over any reply you'll see on here.

So you'll want it at 14x25 @ 275. What else would you have done shape wise to improve
your overall experience?

For its intended use ? Nothing. I do also use it on flatwater too (and that will have limitations in comparison to other flatwater specific boards on offer) but get it on any kind of chop at all and its all smiles from me.

For someone like me, its really helped me enjoy more challenging conditions that I didn't on my older 2015 and 2015 boards. I look at the Maliko 26 as being akin to when you first ride a full suspension mountainbike in a race - it won't make you a better athlete but it lets you get away with more mistakes.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »
ukgm - I'd be interested to see how you'd get on with a JL Sidewinder 14x25. It has similar characteristics to those you are describing for the Maliko, but is an inch narrower and it's 274L. Sounds just about what you are asking for? The 14x25 Sidewinder curiously fast on flat water for me. Still don't understand quite why, but it was. And it's pretty easy in chopped up stuff and goes upwind well too, a bit like a boof nose.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2017, 12:42:40 PM »
"Whether you are Kai Lenny or the crew riding a 24" wide board on the World Tour or somebody who is just aspiring to race getting on a 28 feeling like they are in a wider board and being very competitive"

"Regardless of your size you don't have to weigh 140 lbs to be competitive on one of these"

The 24 carbon elite according to Naish has a max rider weight of 200 lbs at 231 L.  If Naish makes changes for 2018 -> it will probs depend on racer demands - and supply and demand.  But the 24 looks like a nice AW board.  Too bad we have so few Naish around here to demo - otherwise we might have one already.   ;)

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
The AS24.5 vol is 309 and AS23 bumped up to 274 for 2017.  Personally my preference is lower volume and my 2016 AS23 has enough.  The cutting boof is big enough.  But must be how the Maliko floats the rider that allows a heavier rider to be able to ride a much lower volume board.  Or the numbers are way skewed.

Would probs be a real nice board for around here irregardless.  But would think the M24 would splash more vs the AS23 cutting boof on flatter conditions.  Conversely on DW bumps would expect the Maliko to excel.  Upwind it might be a draw.  Either way -> both look to very nice AW boards for sure.

Can see my wife on that M24 while I ride that AS23.  Would probs be better than me getting a 2017 AS23 or Sprint.  For AW ocean a little bit more stabilty and auto anti-pearling is a better solution than a 23 or 21.5 narrow nose spear.  Now who around here has one of those M24s?  Hmmm?  Need to do some research on that.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
 But must be how the Maliko floats the rider that allows a heavier rider to be able to ride a much lower volume board.  Or the numbers are way skewed.

There is just less above the waterline.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
Yes - but there must be compromises elsewhere.  Maybe fore aft balance is more important.  The big AS boof does actually go under on my 23 riding down swells.  This allows me to stay way forward kinda like on an Ace.  You just let it pearl a bit and it pops right back up again without a worry.  Allows you to catch everything that way angling across waves.  The vol on my 23 is actually pretty low profile and does not catch a ton of wind.  The 2017 and wider versions have a lot more vol on top.  Peeps speculating without riding one can be way off base.  You have to ride that board to understand clearly the nuances.  Guesses are just guesses.  I like to demo and feel the way a board handles firsthand before passing a judgement.

So would suspect a bit more fore aft walking to keep it in the groove DW.  The cutting boof on the AS actually has a rounded vee under the nose which rolls a bit.  Nothing like the deep vee Dom - but this in part gives it a bit of tippy feel that peeps talk about.  It is quite manageable though and no probs once you get used to that roll.  The trip concave underbody also gives a weird feel vs more traditional shapes.  A very narrow stance does help a lot though.  Would probs want it if I tried it after a quick demo.
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »
^ I ride one plenty.

Yes, you need to be nimble front/back to keep the nose from dipping. The nose is very close to the water. Doable but you must be quick and know the board well.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »
What width and what conditions have you used the Maliko?
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »
What width and what conditions have you used the Maliko?

26,  very festive

It's a piece of cake next to the 2014 LE.

I did a 30km DW in 40 knot winds in November on the 2014 Jav LE x26. Pretty much the first time I'd been on it other than dead flat. We started near the end of the day and knew damn well we'd finish in the night. Arrived at 10 pm. Yes, I was on my knees for the last 2 km. At least no-one could see me!

Not my smartest move, but I've done worse.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
Anybody you know try or have the M24?  It looks quite a bit more stable than the "Dedicated flat water" Jav 24.

Fast is FUN!   8)

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
Paddled the 2016 Maliko 14 x 26" 3 times now, I think the balance is outstanding on this board. Loved it in side chop, off the wind in smaller waves and on the flats. I found I could really lock in on this board and my stroke was better every time I paddled it.  It's hard to explain why a board works for you sometimes but this board really made me smile. Can anyone compare it to the 2017? I'm 5'9" 179 lbs

That's very much my view of the 2017 board. This will sound like the usual team rider BS but I'm 6ft 3, 94kgs and a big unit and I find it a really confidence inspiring board (and I personally need that). If I were not racing, this would be the everyday board I would keep as it covers up for poor technique and mistakes pretty well. However, whether this is the best board for someone's actual racing is a very different question and its too soon for me personally to comment on that. If I could make minor changes though, at my size I'd personally like another 10-15 litres of volume on it and an inch off the width as I've had to put a really small fin it to try and make it work my balance skills a little harder - its that stable. Bear in mind, I'm a team rider though so I'm going to have some degree of subconscious bias so demoing any new board is always essential in my view over any reply you'll see on here.

Thanks for the feedback ... I'm 57 and paddle a lot (4 days a week)... shorter distances (4-5miles) with really short intervals of sprinting. I'm about 7 months in now and just starting to feel like I can execute occasional good technique and feel it happening. (I think that will make sense to you guys) I was paddling a Bic World Series 14 x 24.5 Tracer which I loved, and before that a 404 V3 25.5 which I thought was nice but a bit low volume ideally. What I noticed with the Naish is it felt lively enough to work my balancing muscles (cuz it's got a bit of side to side), but is stable enough I can lock in my stroke and focus on good technique. The Bic was very stable for a 24.5 but I had to be more careful, when the paddle slipped I was going in the water. My brain wants to push me to go narrower but I think being getting a 26" is a better call for now, especially since I'll be doing down wind runs in the Gorge later in the spring. Btw I bought all the boards as demos and sold them to buy the next in case you guys think "3 boards in 7 months... this guy is loaded"  lol. New Maliko is way too expensive, that's why I asked.
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal