Author Topic: my turns to catch a wave are ugly - help  (Read 8773 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: my turns to catch a wave are ugly - help
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 06:01:38 PM »
I am a big fan of practicing pivot turns and perfecting them. There are a number of advantages. If you are used to arcing into the peak, you need to be able to quickly change the radius of your arc if the peak is shifting as it approaches, and stepping back into a semi-pivot really helps with this. If you see an outside set coming and everyone is scratching for the horizon, having a good pivot turn will allow you to paddle full power out to meet the wave, stomp on the tail and do a 180 right in front of it, and then a two stroke take off. It is also great for getting comfortable moving your rear foot way back on your board which is a key skill to develop if it is a longer board. Most intermediates are weak at getting their rear foot far enough back on the board to make good turns on the wave, with their rear foot never getting near the stomp pad. I think that practicing pivot turns helps in getting comfortable with reaching that rear foot well back on the board. When watching people develop their skills, I see a parallel between not stepping the rear foot back far enough to really get the nose up for pivot turns, and not getting the rear foot reached back far enough for tight precise turns on the wave.
A great way to really understand the use of pivot turns in the line-up is to watch good longboarders who all have this move mastered. If you are sitting on the middle of a longboard facing out to sea and try to turn it around to catch a wave, it takes forever, just like on an SUP. A good longboarder will slide way back on the tail to get most of the board out of the water, and it spins instantly around. Same thing paddling out hard to meet a set wave; just before the base of the wave, a good longboarder will sit back on the tail, spin around, and do a no paddle takeoff. SUPs can do the same thing once you have your pivot turns down.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 06:39:05 PM »
I was out surfing the reef break near the house this past winter.  It was a mid-size day (about 4-6 feet Cali measurement) with nice carving face.  An hour into the session out came Danny Ching on his 10'6 404.  He caught a wave and was on his way back out when the guy riding the wave fell.  Danny paddled toward the wave and half way up the face pivoted 180* and with one stroke caught the wave.

He was smooth in sliding the rear foot back toward the tail and using the paddle to pivot.  It was pretty.

Darryn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 04:20:43 PM »
No one has mentioned the wind or side chop.  Usually its easier to pivot to the left or right with a bit of assistance from the elements so you can out closer to a good wave and pivot at the last second if you use the wind and side chop to help. 

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 04:02:04 PM »
i actually did practice in flat water, really there were long time between sets. this may sound weird but i was always trying to turn my board with the paddle.............once i started turn from my waist, turning it with my body i started have success. almost like planting my paddle in water and just rotating my feet and the board follows. sounds wierd but seems to be working.

anyone else notice this?
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 06:10:56 PM »
i actually did practice in flat water, really there were long time between sets. this may sound weird but i was always trying to turn my board with the paddle.............once i started turn from my waist, turning it with my body i started have success. almost like planting my paddle in water and just rotating my feet and the board follows. sounds wierd but seems to be working.

anyone else notice this?

Yup....turning mostly with your torso (or core) and less with your arms.
I notice it sometimes, especially at the beginning or the end of a pivot turn.
I always say to myself, "I should practice that so I can turn faster and more efficiently."
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 02:38:19 AM »
i've been SUPing as long as most people here and i still can't pivot turn.  it's just one of those things.  so, i do without and don't seem to have a problem catching my fair share of waves.  might not be pretty but i get there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal