Author Topic: Best Sander for Ding Repair  (Read 19550 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best Sander for Ding Repair
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »
thx all--

I have always just used sanding blocks and sponges, but I am a hurried slob and often need to sand down big chunks of mess, so I end up leaving things somewhat lumpy. The Makita I've ordered should help immensely as I attempt continued repairs and try for a result less painful to look at.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Arany

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »
I do not no if you have compresor but I start ther and buy tools for air

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
I'm a tool ho. I counted up the sanders at my shop--13 if I count air tools but don't count the big body grinders and angle grinders. Obviously my justification for not buying Festool stuff is absurd. If I had a few really good ones instead of a lot of mediocre tools I'd be golden. In my defense, this is a lifetime accumulation, a lot of this stuff I've had for 40 years. I'm hard on equipment but I can repair almost anything, so my tools tend to last even when they shouldn't.

I like the little oscillating tools for small stuff, and I have a couple of the mouse-style sanders as well, but learning to handle a flex pad has been a revelation. there are no real shortcuts for sanding--it takes what it takes. But Flex pads come close, as long as you replace discs as soon as you feel heat in the work. In other words, way before you think you need to.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
Def a tool ho. I think you have more tools than many pro shops.....certainly a wider variety.

I have 6 or so from fine detail to rip the shit outta stuff.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 10:21:30 AM »
I know this thread is a bit old but it's responsible for my recent purchase of a Dremel multitool (Thanks TD). My makita pad sanders took forever and didn't do the heavy lifting I'd hoped for and my angle grinder... that thing is just too fast.  The dremel with the velcro sanding sheets is absolutely fantastic for the small spot dings I'm fixing.

Currently using this on a 8-10 mini-mal my brother had custom built for him after college at UCSB.  Still in great shape for a 25 year old board, but it has some tail, and nose damage, some pressure damage on the deck near the tail, and a puncture hole or two.  Also, a deck patch on my wife's SUP, near the handle.  What a great time saver this little gizmo has turned out to be.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
Not too long ago I bought this Bosch random orbital sander that I really like after seeing a repair guy I use for bigger stuff beyond my simple patch a small ding expertise using a similar (more commercial) one, and it has exceed my expectations.

The vacuum nozzle attachment is what really sold me though, and is picks up way more of the dust then is collected by the simple collection canisters attached to many of the other sanders out there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:48:21 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 01:09:04 PM »
You know this conversation is going to end with Festool (as well it should) ;D

Regardless, whatever tool you use just make sure you have fresh sand paper.  If you use worn paper you will just generate unneccessary heat and wasted time. And, don't be afraid to use lower grits (remember, with a repair you are looking for the best possible mechanical bond, at best). 

A buddy of mine once said that with coarser paper his vac needed to be emptied more often...duh.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
Weird bit of synchronicity for this thread to pop back up. I just came back from the docs. Seems I have the beginnings of COPD and emphysema. In the truest sense of maleness one of the 1st things I said to my wife was that I'm buying some Festools to replace what I currently use. I use a shop vac and hoses on my tools but it simply doesn't do enough. I've noticed I'm still getting a lot of fine sawdust. Before having a garage I used to do all my work outside. I'm going to get a cyclone and filters for the bigger tools and Festool for the smaller. I'll also do better at wearing a mask from now on.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
Weird bit of synchronicity for this thread to pop back up. I just came back from the docs. Seems I have the beginnings of COPD and emphysema. In the truest sense of maleness one of the 1st things I said to my wife was that I'm buying some Festools to replace what I currently use. I use a shop vac and hoses on my tools but it simply doesn't do enough. I've noticed I'm still getting a lot of fine sawdust. Before having a garage I used to do all my work outside. I'm going to get a cyclone and filters for the bigger tools and Festool for the smaller. I'll also do better at wearing a mask from now on.
I've had one of these Delta dust air filters on the ceiling of my shop for ever. I change the filters regularly, and run it all the time that i'm sanding. It works great. I also have dust collection via shop vac's on most of my sanding, routing, or joining tools.

https://youtu.be/H3noU2yuNtE
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 03:34:38 PM »
Here’s what I use, nothing special just all variable speed

@rf.boardworks

sup-punta-mita

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »
I have made some boards from scratch and had to do some fixing but I only have occasional need for the tools of the trade. I have both polishes and sanders. I think the big, disk sanders and just too hard to handle unless you use them every day and need the speed and power. On the other hand the big, disk, sanders worked great when I need to actually polish a complete epoxy glass board.

For fixing dings and most general sanding I have not found anything that beats a variable speed 5" random orbit sander. I happen to have a Dewalt but no doubt the Bosch is also great. They are the right combination of  weight, power, and controlability. I also bought some 2" air sanders but sanders need a huge amount of air. I have a small Makita compressor and it is really just not big enough for any real sanding jobs. Air sanders can also be too powerful and do too much damage too quickly.

Another very cool sander is the micro sander from MicroMark
https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Sander

It is too small for most surfboard-scale jobs but I also build and fly RC gliders and it is perfect for repairs on those things.
SUPS Stoke 9'6" wide
Surftech Caddie 10'2"
Infinity Carver 9'6"

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »
What pads do you use on those angle/sanders? (I got "yellow", but many are yellow)  Is there a specific one that works best?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 07:33:03 PM »
eDubz, that looks a lot like my collection though I have some exotic aircraft stuff and a Festool sander. I use the pads from that little outfit on the Oregon Coast--can't remember the name, but they rock. And of course, my Festool, which has to be the best tool I've ever bought other than my monster Miller TIG welder that makes even me look good. And yes, I can weld two beer cans together. I added dust extraction to most of my sanders. Cobbled some, 3D printed others.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:37:43 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »
Bill, would that be Flexpad or South Shore Manufacturing?
I have some of those too and their nice paper to go with them.
http://www.southshoremfg.com/
https://www.flexpadusa.com/
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 07:59:34 PM »
Yes--they're both the same company.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal