Author Topic: Best Sander for Ding Repair  (Read 19545 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Best Sander for Ding Repair
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
in the interest of making my repairs quicker/easier, I want to buy a sander.

i have seen plenty being used on youtube etc--curious what you all might recommend I buy??

thx
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best Sander for Ding Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »
You can spend some big bucks or you can put a pad on a variable speed angle grinder.
http://www.foamez.com/glassing-surfboards-surfboard-sanding-pads-c-3_74.html

Just be sure to get the right adapter size.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:32:26 AM »
I was watching Danny Brawner repairing some boards and he was using his big disc sander on these little dings. He's been my glassing mentor and I always want to show my appreciation. I let him try my little Multi-tool oscillating sander on his repairs. He dug it so much, I gave him a new one. He uses it all the time on little ding repairs. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can give them new tools!

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PCE605K-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-Accessories/dp/B008V4NFC2/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1462385958&sr=1-14&keywords=oscilating+multi+tool

I have the cordless one, but the batteries vibrate themselves loose, so I have to tape them on now:(
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:23:27 PM »
I'm with Talldude on this one.

I sand everything under vacuum. Using a Bosch detail sander for grinding laps and touch up. I use my Bosch random orbital for the bulk of my sanding. The big Milwaukee, with the disks the factories use, only gets used to grind down fin boxes.

I think Blane Chambers is another guy who does all sanding under vacuum. He uses Festol. Too spendy for me..😂

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
I have three sanders I use a lot the first is a small air die grinder with the quick change discs which I use for grinding out the repairs mainly, the second is a dewalt 180mm variable speed sander/polisher I used to use this for everything but now just normally have a 60grit disk on it for taking of any bulky stuf fin boxes ect then I have a festool ro150 feq with dust extractor it has both orbital and rotary with orbit which is pritty great as you can start of removing bulk with the rotary obital and then when you want to go finer just flick the switch the orbital is great on the higher grits as well. The Festool is pricey but it's a sound investment and not sanding in clouds of dust is amazing!

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:14:47 PM »
Big Grinders are too heavy and powerful for me.... one twitch and they go through to foam.

The palm sanders seemed to take forever....

I found a cheesy 7" variable speed "Polisher" at Harbor Freight for $49
Cheesy means it is super light weight, and on lower speeds, there is no way its going to cut into foam.
I love the thing.... super fast and easy to sand just the right amount  :)
It'll probably burn out in a year, but it is the best I've found for ding repair.

I use hook & loop sanding discs..... the only place to buy 7" discs is HF, since every other grinder in the world is 5 or 6" but its a LOT cheaper than regular disc's anyway, so worth the hassle.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »
I was taught to use a Dremel tool at the shop I worked it.  A lot like the one Talldude uses but even smaller.  It does all the sanding up to the final cosmetic stages.  Then I'll switch back to hand sanding. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »
I have several, but the palm oscillating square, and my dremel (love that tool fool) get more use than any of the others.

Mistakes seem to be smaller as my small motor skills continue to deteriorate. No more metal flake or Kandy painting!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
There no question that to get a truly equal finish you need a Bernie.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »
I generally use my 7" Porter Cable polisher and/or 6" PC random orbit.  But as long as the machine is variable speed your 90% there.

The key is to sand with the right paper.  You are far better off using lower grits with a light touch than spending too much time grinding in place and generating heat. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 06:51:23 PM »
Good one Stoney! 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 02:43:53 AM »
I use the harbor freight 7" polisher with a real foam pad on it (yellow, soft one) dial it down and it's safe as was said. But I'm looking into the vacuum hand sanders for my next one.

For ding repair i use a block of wood or foam half the time.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 05:31:23 AM »
i bought this one--for 79$ on amazon--seems mis-priced, as tho it should have been $179
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 05:32:17 AM »
Makita 9227CY 7-Inch Variable Speed Electronic Sander/Polisher
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
This is my three complete with mods the die grinder is a must for ding repair and building boards and I would find it hard to go back to sanding without dust extraction on the bigger ones which is why the dewalt gets very little use now

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal