Author Topic: How pretty are your repair jobs?  (Read 8367 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: How pretty are your repair jobs?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 03:40:19 PM »
Wow some very talented repair work, I'm impressed.

My repairs are usually fugly, I usually go for function over form and as long as they are watertight tight and don't have a noticeable effect on performance.

There's a Japanese saying called wabi sabi - accepting and learning to love imperfection.  One example being a cracked vase or in this case a dinged surfboard.  My understanding is that by practicing wabi sabi we learn to accept and love the imperfections in ourselves and each other.  :)
Clay, you are the most Zen person on the Zone

Or when an imperfection is purposefully woven into an oriental rug, so as to not suppose to be perfect in the eyes of god... same thing with my repairs... yep... that's it... 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 06:29:47 AM »
Most of our local shops take a long time to get a board fixed.  Luckily we have a local paddler that is damn good at repairs and everyone goes to him now.  He used to have a nice set up working in a warehouse that our local SUP shop had and kept their over stock in.  Typically his prices are fairly cheap, to the point of where you have to force him to take more because you just can't take advantage of the work he did in good conscience.  However, our SUP shop closed last year, so he now works in his back yard or carport.  He's fixed boards that snapped in half, split down the middle, all the gruesome stuff.  The only issue he has run into is with color matching.  It's always close.  Years ago I worked in a paint store.  I matched latex paints, oils, two part epoxies, aliphatic urethanes, the works.  Dead on matching is hard.  First off, most paints take days to fully cure and have a final color.  Add in working with two part mixes and it's very hard as you need to keep mixing up tiny mixes and let them pop to see what they will do.  And, since no one is going to drag a SUP board into a paint shop and leave it there for a few days, you can only do so much.  He has been learning to tweak his colors and has gotten very good with a spray gun though.  I'll have to see if I can dig up some of his before and after pix from his FB page
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 06:40:38 AM »
Wow some very talented repair work, I'm impressed.

My repairs are usually fugly, I usually go for function over form and as long as they are watertight tight and don't have a noticeable effect on performance.

There's a Japanese saying called wabi sabi - accepting and learning to love imperfection.  One example being a cracked vase or in this case a dinged surfboard.  My understanding is that by practicing wabi sabi we learn to accept and love the imperfections in ourselves and each other.  :)
Clay, you are the most Zen person on the Zone

Thanks brother!  I do my best  :D
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 07:58:43 AM »
zen zone!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 08:23:49 AM »
oh....the makita arrived in laughably obviously opened and used condition--not used like it had been on a jobsite for a while, but clearly used a few times--happens with amazon often, but in this case I deserve it, as the tool was clearly 100$ cheaper than cheapest other sources--I will say that amazon sux in that there was no indication this was a rebox, refurb or anything other than new sealed box product--and I would likely had bought the creek model had I known this would come in such as it did

anyway--the thing works and all parts were included--loose in the big box the original broken up box had been put in for shipping==rattling around--what a joke!

when the thing blows up ill give you all a giggle report

stoney--looks like it shd be good up by you tomorrow--hope we hear you've gotten out and felt good

I need you to get on the water, lest you bern my ass!  good luck---heal!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supthecreek

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 01:00:06 PM »
Eastie..... the cheapness of my "polisher" is the key to it's excellence....
Good tools, like your Makita are well built and heavy...
my cheapie is very light....which makes it soooo easy to "feel" the work.... and not over cut.
I actually like grinding down a nice repair now.... no fear of horrific mistakes, like when I used heavy, cumbersome grinders....
The touch is delicate but capable  ;)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
My repairs look like repairs. I took the time to do a nice job on my 10-6....1st big ding I did. 6" smash in the nose and a corner of the tail missing. Over did them with the fiberglass but they came out looking good. It's been 6+ years and still holding. Didn't try matching colors, instead did a flat black treatment on both. since then it's been get it watertight and close enough. I made a big dent with a crack in it on the side of my deck with my knee on my 8-4, just did the repair over the dent.  I have a couple of repairs to do.....procrastinating as usual and all I've been on lately is my 10-6.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 07:22:49 PM »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:25:01 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 10:13:22 AM »
What happened to "Manatee Whisperer" ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »
Nicely done PUK!  Looks the end of a video lesson: "How to make $500 in a weekend."  (..that is, if you bought it for $200)  Creek's projects look like considering climbing K2 in skivvies.

Jim Slider
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 08:47:08 AM »
Zooport - I like it!

Bean - too funny  ;D
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »
Here is a recent repair on a early CF Starboard.  I used release fabric to get the CF to sit flat, but instead of vac bagging, I simply taped it in place. 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 04:48:46 PM »
Nice repair, Bean. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 07:51:30 PM »
Thanks Zoo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 07:46:48 AM »
aint pretty, but aint ugly neither

i will use this approach, bean--the taped-down-release-fabric approach, that is

lent a proner buddy my 9'6" starboard widepoint--he immediately caught waves and surfed well--then i hear a loud splsh and pop--turns out he punched a huge hole in the top deck with paddle, fortunately well forward of the pad--i look at the exposed foam and he says "can I keep surfing it?"--obviously i hustled the board out of the water--it'll be an easy fix with my new sander
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal