Author Topic: Connor Baxter - SIC team rider...  (Read 11193 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Connor Baxter - SIC team rider...
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:45:59 AM »
Is it just me or did Connor  actually ride an SIC Bullet for his 2016 Olukai win?
in progress...

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Connor Baxter - SIC team rider...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:10:58 AM »
It's no secret that he was on an SIC, same way that other top names paddle boards from different shapers/companies but painted to look like they're sponsor. I think Connor has used an SIC for the M2O every year too. I think I remember some threads on here about Connor using some stand up guns that Jimmy Lewis shaped too. Same way that PGA golfers will have their title sponsor on headcovers but may have different clubs underneath.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »
I knew they all do it with the paddles, like all the SIC team is using ZRE paddles with an SIC stickers.
It just struck me odd that a company like Starboard, with its Jaw dropping amount of board SKU's could not come up
with a decent downwind board for its top rider.

I know Mark used to shape boards for them sometime ago, I guess he still is (in a way)
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
It's not just Conner. Everyone who wants to win a downwind distance race overall is on an SIC. No one else makes an unlimited rudder board anymore. The solution is a paint job on an SIC.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:51:05 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »
It's not just Conner. Everyone who wants to win overall is on an SIC. No one else makes an unlimited rudder board anymore. The solution is a paint job on an SIC.
Was Dave Kalama on a SIC, then?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
It's not just Conner. Everyone who wants to win a downwind distance race overall is on an SIC. No one else makes an unlimited rudder board anymore. The solution is a paint job on an SIC.

What about Travis Grant on the last M2O. I believe he had a custom board that became a production
NSP?
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
It's not just Conner. Everyone who wants to win overall is on an SIC. No one else makes an unlimited rudder board anymore. The solution is a paint job on an SIC.
Was Dave Kalama on a SIC, then?

I was also wondering abut dave Kalama as he is involved with Imagine.

Does anyone knows where can one watch the damn footage from all these top races? I see all these
Drones buzzing around and nothing to show for but some lame recaps? Seriously
in progress...

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 06:07:10 PM »
Here is a link to a video on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/goSUPracer/videos/1015730575177660/

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
Here is a link to a video on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/goSUPracer/videos/1015730575177660/

Thanks for the link. But that's exactly what I meant by "lame recap".
49 seconds of an hour long action packet race. nor did I mean a dark
under-exposed cellphone footage from a wobbly chase boat.
I mean more along the lines of a 20 minutes highlights with enough up-close footage
so one could actually watch and analyze these fine specimens.

I find it hard to believe no one jumped  on this opportunity with all the talent out there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:27:35 PM by burchas »
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 06:43:47 PM »
Don Shear's yellow copter was overhead for the entire race, and there were lots of exotic cameras around. I'm sure there's a video yet to come, but the good stuff take editing. Matty Schweitzer was there shooting with a drone and big cameras. I expect we'll see stuff from him too.

Dave's Imagine looked a lot like a custom Bullet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 06:46:16 PM »

Thanks for the link. But that's exactly what I meant by "lame recap".
49 seconds of an hour long action packet race. nor did I mean a dark
under-exposed cellphone footage from a wobbly chase boat.
I mean more along the lines of a 20 minutes highlights with enough up-close footage
so one could actually watch and analyze these fine specimens.

I find it hard to believe no one jumped  on this opportunity with all the talent out there.

I totally agree. SUP race video edits are all super-short MTV teaser style; quick flash of the action but no play-by-play. With the exception of this year's Pacific Paddle Games videos. Those were actually showing the racing drama.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
Regarding Starboard paint job on a SIC board--are the SIC guys (Mark) cool with that? or is ZRE cool with SIC stickers on their paddles? 
From a marketing/sales standpoint, I don't understand why they would 'allow' this.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:55:47 PM »
Regarding Starboard paint job on a SIC board--are the SIC guys (Mark) cool with that? or is ZRE cool with SIC stickers on their paddles? 
From a marketing/sales standpoint, I don't understand why they would 'allow' this.

I'm with you on that. Especially on the board front where you the media keeping
Tally on leading brands http://www.supracer.com/rankings/brands/.

This a total bs but everyone seems to go along with that so I'm not sure what's the deal here
in progress...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »
I've always found this weird. I understand that not everyone makes a production ruddered board....but why aren't they building their own custom with their colors? It would make races more interesting....DW races are the pinnacle of the sport....why not view them like sailing or formula one....fine tweaks of design with great engines. This to me takes away a bit from the sport. It doesn't diminish the athletes performance but tarnishes the image in general.

We keep talking about how SUP design is still in its infancy but we seem to have plateaued a bit in some areas. I think of downwinding as the royalty of SUP genres. Such an amazing feeling (I just wish I didn't suck at it) This is a place where innovation and a race to unobtainable perfection could be interesting in and of itself. New rudder designs...like remote control on your paddle....cough, cough.... ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:34:59 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 10:41:20 PM »
Connor's board actually had a SIC logo on the nose this year. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal