Author Topic: Sharp pain between shoulder blades  (Read 12798 times)

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sharp pain between shoulder blades
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »
I saw a thread on here about kettle balls,  how about using  them?

Dave

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »
My wife has the exact same pain, same spot. She complains about it feeling like someone sticking a knife under her left shoulder blade.

She's had it for several years. Tried everything, asked every doc, had every test. Got nowhere. Even tried acupuncture. Nothing works.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »
My wife has the exact same pain, same spot. She complains about it feeling like someone sticking a knife under her left shoulder blade.

She's had it for several years. Tried everything, asked every doc, had every test. Got nowhere. Even tried acupuncture. Nothing works.
Yup that's the pain...... Quite horrible.

Dave

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
I saw a thread on here about kettle balls,  how about using  them?

Dave

Kettle bells are great, but dumbells are even more versatile.  I get more use out of my 5-25lb adjustable dumbells than just about any equipment I've owned. 

I would talk to a PT about setting up a balanced all around program as well as a targeted program for your specific needs.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »
bean, would you pls link the adjustables you have/like?--if not too difficult
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TeachSB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
"He just tried to hit the spot of pain"

I think I'd find a new doctor.  That's not really how cortisone is supposed to work. 
Focus Smoothie 9' x 32"
PSH Wide All Rounder 11' x 30"

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »
"He just tried to hit the spot of pain"

I think I'd find a new doctor.  That's not really how cortisone is supposed to work.
Yea I know how that sounded. It was after several visits,  exams,  x-rays, etc.  I was able to direct him to the exact location where the pain was and it was kinda a last resort cause he wasn't finding a "problem"...

Dave

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
bean, would you pls link the adjustables you have/like?--if not too difficult

I've had mine for 10+ years, but these are the ones:

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:217880/sku:WSAW1250/weider-speed-weight-dumbbell/&SID=4988&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-PLA-_-Bing-_-wsaw1250

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »
Hi Dave

Sounds, from the description, your Rhomboids are the issue.

If this is right, they are, probably, taking up slack from other weak muscle groups such as Trapezius, Serratus Anterior, or fighting against tight Pectorals (both Major and Minor), Cervical flexors, etc. Signs include, but don't limit to, Winged and Protracted Scapulas(rounded shoulders) inability to fully extend the Thoracic Spine from prone, protracted (forward) head, a Crossed Upper Syndrome, etc. I capitalized some names you should get familiar with.

Massage, cortizone shot, ice, etc, will clear the symptoms but won't address the cause. If other major causes are ruled out, (such as Nerve Impingement, Bone Spurs, etc)and the issue is muscular, when the pain is gone  (don't underestimate rest), get evaluated by an AT or PT versed in shoulder dysfunctions. Get strong, flexible and return to paddling slowly.

Be well
Wow that was quite a mouthful! Lol.... Like I mentioned I've already gone to the Dr and had x-rays and got the Cortisone shot and 3 deep tissue massages. None have helped,  it comes back almost every paddle. So I'd say yes it is muscular. It's a very sharp burning pain in a very specific spot every time.

What exercises are best to strengthen those muscles in my back that could be the culprit? It's really starting to limit my paddling, I'm good for 10-15 miles easily but yesterday I struggled with a 3 mile paddle and was damaged near crippled when I got home. ....

Dave

Hi Dave

Regarding exercises, it would be a bit difficult to recommend a responsible set of exercises (effective), without first evaluating you in person. There's plenty of exercises for the shoulder and scapula in the Web, but starting to perform them without knowing exactly what structures to address is pointless.

Since your pain is sharp and localized, and more to one side than another, there's tests that should be made to the structure before venturing into any exercises, because there's a clear sign of asymmetric loading.

For example, if you have even a slight degree of scoliosis, or are very lateralized in some kind of occupational or sports activity, the body will respond by creating certain asymmetric tension-length relationships between muscles, extremities, and their adjoining articulations to favor the necessary movement-often, at the expense of structural balance. This situation will create some tight and some weak length-tension relationships in those areas involved. Once paddling, specially in the adaptation phase, those asymmetries and unbalanced length-tension relationships will manifest as weak spots and pain.

Sorry if it sounds too complicated, but it is. The shoulder is a high mobility joint, unstable and weak to favor range of motion, which joins the skeleton at only one place, the sternum-clavicle joint. The scapula floats on the ribcage, balanced by many muscles. The ribcage itself responds to the spine structural balance, and, if the spine is out of alignment, everything else will follow suit.

So, i encourage you to seek the clinical attention you need, and when ready, resume paddling, not without first examining your technique. No shortcuts my friend.

Be well

Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 02:23:21 PM »
Hi Dave

Sounds, from the description, your Rhomboids are the issue.

If this is right, they are, probably, taking up slack from other weak muscle groups such as Trapezius, Serratus Anterior, or fighting against tight Pectorals (both Major and Minor), Cervical flexors, etc. Signs include, but don't limit to, Winged and Protracted Scapulas(rounded shoulders) inability to fully extend the Thoracic Spine from prone, protracted (forward) head, a Crossed Upper Syndrome, etc. I capitalized some names you should get familiar with.

Massage, cortizone shot, ice, etc, will clear the symptoms but won't address the cause. If other major causes are ruled out, (such as Nerve Impingement, Bone Spurs, etc)and the issue is muscular, when the pain is gone  (don't underestimate rest), get evaluated by an AT or PT versed in shoulder dysfunctions. Get strong, flexible and return to paddling slowly.

Be well
Wow that was quite a mouthful! Lol.... Like I mentioned I've already gone to the Dr and had x-rays and got the Cortisone shot and 3 deep tissue massages. None have helped,  it comes back almost every paddle. So I'd say yes it is muscular. It's a very sharp burning pain in a very specific spot every time.

What exercises are best to strengthen those muscles in my back that could be the culprit? It's really starting to limit my paddling, I'm good for 10-15 miles easily but yesterday I struggled with a 3 mile paddle and was damaged near crippled when I got home. ....

Dave

Hi Dave

Regarding exercises, it would be a bit difficult to recommend a responsible set of exercises (effective), without first evaluating you in person. There's plenty of exercises for the shoulder and scapula in the Web, but starting to perform them without knowing exactly what structures to address is pointless.

Since your pain is sharp and localized, and more to one side than another, there's tests that should be made to the structure before venturing into any exercises, because there's a clear sign of asymmetric loading.

For example, if you have even a slight degree of scoliosis, or are very lateralized in some kind of occupational or sports activity, the body will respond by creating certain asymmetric tension-length relationships between muscles, extremities, and their adjoining articulations to favor the necessary movement-often, at the expense of structural balance. This situation will create some tight and some weak length-tension relationships in those areas involved. Once paddling, specially in the adaptation phase, those asymmetries and unbalanced length-tension relationships will manifest as weak spots and pain.

Sorry if it sounds too complicated, but it is. The shoulder is a high mobility joint, unstable and weak to favor range of motion, which joins the skeleton at only one place, the sternum-clavicle joint. The scapula floats on the ribcage, balanced by many muscles. The ribcage itself responds to the spine structural balance, and, if the spine is out of alignment, everything else will follow suit.

So, i encourage you to seek the clinical attention you need, and when ready, resume paddling, not without first examining your technique. No shortcuts my friend.

Be well
OK I understand, and BTW yes I do have scoliosis. I have a few PT friends I will catch up with and try to get proper advice.

Dave

mal2050

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
Hi Dave,

I would encourage you and others on this site to get the book:

(The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief Paperback – September 1, 2013
by Clair Davies NCTMB (Author), Amber Davies CMTPT LMT (Author), David G. Simons MD (Foreword))

Go on Amazon and read the reviews of people who have used this book some great stories about recoveries from pain. The book itself is pretty intensive and covers all the muscles of the body.  They get results sometimes when other therapies do not.
I have used the book for a number different pains that show up so I am grateful that someone turned me on to this modality.

So my friend  had a really bad pain in his foot for quite  awhile was set to go for surgery when someone gave him this book and he followed the instructions that seemed to relate to him, and a week later the pain was gone and 5 years later never came pack.

I have had a pain near the shoulderblade   and was able to get rid of it after a few days follow the detailed instructions found in the book. It turns out the trigger point for me was along the side of my face and neck which sounds crazy but it worked.

Went to a t a party  this year on the Northshore of Oahu  and a very dedicated big wave rider had an older version this  book on his coffee table and he told me he would not be surfing today without it. Looking at it was funny because it was so dogged eared and had so frigging many sticky notes in it, I was just laughed to myself.

So nothing cures all but this book is a good tool for any one who paddles. 

If anyone does get the book, there is a tool that you need to order at the same time so you will be able to reach and release the trigger points.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:46:38 PM by mal2050 »

white water

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 04:49:58 PM »
I bought my first paddle board about a year ago. I got that exact pain as well. It probably went on for 4 or 5 months of paddling maybe 3 or 4 miles every other week or so. But I no longer get it. I think my muscles have developed.
11' Yolo Coastal Cruiser (1st board ever)
9'3" Stu Sharpe Honeybadger
8’11” Sunova SP25

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »
I bought my first paddle board about a year ago. I got that exact pain as well. It probably went on for 4 or 5 months of paddling maybe 3 or 4 miles every other week or so. But I no longer get it. I think my muscles have developed.
I'm hoping that's what happens to me.... I think I need to try more frequent paddles and shorten them up at 1st.

Dave

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »
I'm trying to get some confirmation on this. I've had a really bad pain when I paddle sometimes between my shoulder blades. It's kinda off to my left side,  starts as a sharp kinda stabbing pain then gets worse. I went to a Dr.  had x-rays full exam and a shot of cortisone and still get the pain when I paddle. I was kinda writing it off as another getting older pain and deciding to try and get a professional massage. I booked my 1st ever pro massage with a woman recommended by a friend,  she does "medical" deep tissue massages. When I described the pain and location and what brought it on she immediately told me it was a muscle issue. Apparently it's cause I'm using new muscles and basically there very unhappy and week and the pain is the result.

Anyone ever have this and if so what was the fix? Obviously I need to strengthen them just curious what worked best for you. Thanks for any help.

Dave

I have dealt with similar pain in my shoulder blade since I started paddling.  I was told that I needed myofascial release; a fancy way of saying loosening up severely knotted muscles.  As others have said, you are using muscles that have never been asked to work like that before, and they knot up severely.  The thing that seems to be slowly healing my issue is this:  I bought a really powerful percussion massager from Brookstone and began stretching the muscle while applying the intense, pounding vibration of the massager.  It gives me temporary relief and appears to be slowly reversing the condition. 

There are also rollers for that same purpose:  http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/what-is-a-foam-roller-how-do-i-use-it-and-why-does-it-hurt

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:17:34 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

white water

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
I went to a Physical Therapist today for shoulder pain. I mentioned I had the pain between my shoulder blades. She gave me an exercise to do. Lay on your stomach, Stretch your arm over your head as far as possible , as if you are reaching for something then lift it as high as you can at the same time. Hold for 10 seconds. Alternate arms. 10 sets of 10. Do the same with arm straight out to the side.
11' Yolo Coastal Cruiser (1st board ever)
9'3" Stu Sharpe Honeybadger
8’11” Sunova SP25

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal