Author Topic: Sharp pain between shoulder blades  (Read 12797 times)

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sharp pain between shoulder blades
« on: May 02, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »
I'm trying to get some confirmation on this. I've had a really bad pain when I paddle sometimes between my shoulder blades. It's kinda off to my left side,  starts as a sharp kinda stabbing pain then gets worse. I went to a Dr.  had x-rays full exam and a shot of cortisone and still get the pain when I paddle. I was kinda writing it off as another getting older pain and deciding to try and get a professional massage. I booked my 1st ever pro massage with a woman recommended by a friend,  she does "medical" deep tissue massages. When I described the pain and location and what brought it on she immediately told me it was a muscle issue. Apparently it's cause I'm using new muscles and basically there very unhappy and week and the pain is the result.

Anyone ever have this and if so what was the fix? Obviously I need to strengthen them just curious what worked best for you. Thanks for any help.

Dave

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sharp pain between shoulder blades
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
My doc prescribes Voltaren Gel for me. It's a topical gel and my wife puts it on between my shoulder blades for me. I use it the first couple weeks in the spring when I start back paddling. Works great for me and I need no NASAIDS which upset my heartburn.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
My doc prescribes Voltaren Gel for me. It's a topical gel and my wife puts it on between my shoulder blades for me. I use it the first couple weeks in the spring when I start back paddling. Works great for me and I need no NASAIDS which upset my heartburn.
Is your pain similar to what I described?

Dave

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »
I have never had it bad..... but when I cut my paddle down to head height, it started.
I pulled the "Extended T" up 2", and it went away.
Just a thought, it could be from something like that.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 05:45:55 PM »
Hi Dave

Sounds, from the description, your Rhomboids are the issue.

If this is right, they are, probably, taking up slack from other weak muscle groups such as Trapezius, Serratus Anterior, or fighting against tight Pectorals (both Major and Minor), Cervical flexors, etc. Signs include, but don't limit to, Winged and Protracted Scapulas(rounded shoulders) inability to fully extend the Thoracic Spine from prone, protracted (forward) head, a Crossed Upper Syndrome, etc. I capitalized some names you should get familiar with.

Massage, cortizone shot, ice, etc, will clear the symptoms but won't address the cause. If other major causes are ruled out, (such as Nerve Impingement, Bone Spurs, etc)and the issue is muscular, when the pain is gone  (don't underestimate rest), get evaluated by an AT or PT versed in shoulder dysfunctions. Get strong, flexible and return to paddling slowly.

Be well
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:48:46 PM by balance_fit »
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
Hi Dave

Sounds, from the description, your Rhomboids are the issue.

If this is right, they are, probably, taking up slack from other weak muscle groups such as Trapezius, Serratus Anterior, or fighting against tight Pectorals (both Major and Minor), Cervical flexors, etc. Signs include, but don't limit to, Winged and Protracted Scapulas(rounded shoulders) inability to fully extend the Thoracic Spine from prone, protracted (forward) head, a Crossed Upper Syndrome, etc. I capitalized some names you should get familiar with.

Massage, cortizone shot, ice, etc, will clear the symptoms but won't address the cause. If other major causes are ruled out, (such as Nerve Impingement, Bone Spurs, etc)and the issue is muscular, when the pain is gone  (don't underestimate rest), get evaluated by an AT or PT versed in shoulder dysfunctions. Get strong, flexible and return to paddling slowly.

Be well
Wow that was quite a mouthful! Lol.... Like I mentioned I've already gone to the Dr and had x-rays and got the Cortisone shot and 3 deep tissue massages. None have helped,  it comes back almost every paddle. So I'd say yes it is muscular. It's a very sharp burning pain in a very specific spot every time.

What exercises are best to strengthen those muscles in my back that could be the culprit? It's really starting to limit my paddling, I'm good for 10-15 miles easily but yesterday I struggled with a 3 mile paddle and was damaged near crippled when I got home. ....

Dave

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:18:08 PM »
The Voltaren gel puts pain relief and muscle relaxer right on the muscle. It is prescription and comes with a card that measures the correct amount for the given body area used on...shoulder,knee,hip etc.  It really works for me and my pain is right between the shoulder blades from about T2 thru T5. Because of a large Hiatal hernia I don't take any pain medicines,not even asprin or ibuprophen(heartburn).

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 06:26:38 AM »
The Voltaren gel puts pain relief and muscle relaxer right on the muscle. It is prescription and comes with a card that measures the correct amount for the given body area used on...shoulder,knee,hip etc.  It really works for me and my pain is right between the shoulder blades from about T2 thru T5. Because of a large Hiatal hernia I don't take any pain medicines,not even asprin or ibuprophen(heartburn).
I may look into getting some of that but it seems like a bandaid instead of a fix? I really want to strengthen or "fix" whatever is causing the problem.

Dave

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:55 AM »
What is the Doc specifically targeting with the cortisone?

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 09:59:15 AM »
I may look into getting some of that but it seems like a bandaid instead of a fix? I really want to strengthen or "fix" whatever is causing the problem.

Dave

Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. Use the gel for pain relief while your muscles build up to the paddling motions. Do real short paddles then gradually paddle longer as your muscles adapt.
 From your other posts(loved the pics ;) you probably paddled too long and far just starting out and strained or pulled muscles.
 Use ice,Tenz machine,and or the Voltarian Gel,I've found it better than ice or Tenz,and once muscles recover start back paddling easy,short sessions until strong enough for long trips.
 I believe you had been kayaking but the SUP paddling is a different set muscles.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »
I have had the pain you described, at times bad. Over the short term, heat and ibuprofen helped, over the long term, PT helped. I have learned that too much hunching over the computer seems to set me up for upper back problems. Being a weekend warrior is also hard on my back, upper and lower. Now that I am retired I actually have less back problems (but more joint problems) because my activity is more uniform.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »
What is the Doc specifically targeting with the cortisone?
He just tried to hit the spot of pain.....

Dave

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
I have had the pain you described, at times bad. Over the short term, heat and ibuprofen helped, over the long term, PT helped. I have learned that too much hunching over the computer seems to set me up for upper back problems. Being a weekend warrior is also hard on my back, upper and lower. Now that I am retired I actually have less back problems (but more joint problems) because my activity is more uniform.
Ohhhh OK I got you now. So the paddling will strengthen the trouble area over time ok. Any exercises I could add in to help?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:26:15 PM by Dkyachtphoto »

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
Lots of good medical and non medical solutions so far.
Every time I have had issues with pain while paddling, it could be traced back to poor or sloppy paddle technique.

Focus on your core doing all the work. Knees bent., Back straight as you can. I almost keep my arms locked the entire stroke. (This may or may not be recommended) but it focuses the pull on your core and back muscles.

I would also continue with the medical massage.
-Foam roller.
-Yoga stretches
-anything on the workout ball (core)

-red

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »
Lots of good medical and non medical solutions so far.
Every time I have had issues with pain while paddling, it could be traced back to poor or sloppy paddle technique.

Focus on your core doing all the work. Knees bent., Back straight as you can. I almost keep my arms locked the entire stroke. (This may or may not be recommended) but it focuses the pull on your core and back muscles.

I would also continue with the medical massage.
-Foam roller.
-Yoga stretches
-anything on the workout ball (core)

-red
I spoke with a pro a few weeks ago about my form and was informed that whoever thought me did a great job. He offered a few small tweaks but pretty much said it was good.

It's weird that it's the exact same spot and side every time. The medical massage lady was really certain on it being a weak muscle issue. More specifically the muscle that runs up and down along the spine I think right between the shoulder blade and spine.

I'm gonna ask my Dr about that gel and see how it works.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal