Author Topic: Anyone use a Camelback H.A.W.G ?  (Read 3389 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone use a Camelback H.A.W.G ?
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:25:34 AM »
Tired of having my paddles cut short because of running out of water...heard you could possibly get two 100oz bladders in one of these....any first hand experience with this one? Is it too much "pack" for the amount of hydration? What do the guys that make the inter island runs use that don't have he luxury of a chase boat to re-supply them? A single 100oz is not doing it for me in the Florida sun.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:41:04 AM by SUPflorida »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone use a Camelback H.A.W.G ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:51:06 AM »
It looks like an extreme choice just to get the 100oz. If you're willing to go that far you might as well try iVis AquaSource http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/hydration-packs/119-aquasource, you'll get all you can drink and more.

For paddling specific, I would go for the the Camelback Cortez [urlhttp://shop.camelbak.com/cortez/d/1286_cl_4338][/url] to get the 100oz.

if you have to have it on your back you can rig it on your PFD or just do as I did, get the 100oz bladder and put it in the hydration pocket
of this baby http://www.vaikobi.com/products/vaikobi-hi-vis-ocean-racing-pfd and you have an all in one solution for paddling with safety included.

I personally prefer the Source Hydration brand over Camelbak, If found it to be more long lasting and far more easy to use over time.
Look at the D|vide Hydration http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/home/149-divide-hydration-system it has been essential for me
on the longer runs as I have a secondary chamber to include my powder mix.
in progress...

pugsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:24 PM »
This question has been on my mind for a while now, too.

I just ordered the Vaikobi vest to use with my 2 liter bladder.

Thank you for the pointer!

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:59:16 AM »
Burchas
Thanks for the links interesting to see what other options are out there...let me restate my question...who makes/what model of hydration pack will accommodate two 100 oz bladders in one pack? Without being any bigger than necessary.... Say no bigger than a camelback mule?
While I'm at it...anyone freeze their bladders full of water? If so did it damage it?
My ideal would be a pack that would be well insulated, hold two 100 oz hydration bladders... one with water and ice and freeze the other one solid. With the idea that halfway into the session the frozen bladder, although thawed out, would still be cold.

Last Saturday I did a 22.77 mile paddle that lasted just shy of 7 hrs. (Half up wind/all against the tide). I hydrated as much as possible before taking off, and had a 70 oz camelback stuffed with as much ice that would fit and then water up to the top. I felt the need to ration the whole way. I really wanted to break 25 miles and easily could have if I had not run out and had a generous amount of cold water to stay hydrated with. I emphasize "cold" because when I got back to my truck I had a fresh bottle of warm water and it did absolutely nothing to satisfy my thirst.

I also thought about first moving up to 100 oz from my current 70 for the wareable pack and then supplementing with a second 100oz bladder strapped to the deck. I use to Velcro one on the deck of my surf ski (behind me)...easier to accomplish when your stationary and sitting down. On a SUP that would require stopping and changing over at some point. Not too hot on that idea...rather have one that give me the option to wear it.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:27:24 AM »
Surely you aren't going to want to carry 6 litres of water on your back? That would mess with your balance big time and prove very wearing on the rest of your body too. A faster option would probably be to carry two separate hydration packs, one on your back and one on the board, and swap them over half way.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 07:36:25 AM »
SUPflorida,

We think the same, but I have to tell you that although the idea of carrying 200oz on your back
sounds convenient since you won't have to replace the bladder, in reality it sucks! I had to find
that out on a 20+ mile open ocean crossing. It will kill your shoulders and put extra strain
on your back.

In fact I would even go with 3 70oz bladders rather than 2 100oz. on a longer rides like that
you do need to take a break every once in a while.

Freezing the bladder didn't work as I hoped either. after 5 hours in 90f it doesn't last (unless you want to drag it in the water behind you :D).

There is a reason why no one makes this kind of product. But if you're still up for it go for the iVis AquaSource, you can test your limit with that one.

And just as an add-on, don't forget to jump in the water every once in while, that will keep your temp
down and won't make you feel as thirsty
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:40:31 AM by burchas »
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »
This question has been on my mind for a while now, too.

I just ordered the Vaikobi vest to use with my 2 liter bladder.

Thank you for the pointer!
You'll love it. the new version look even better than mine. They reworked the front pockets which is my only gripe with mine.
For more convenient tube routing I use 2 magnetic add-ons on the vest and 2 magnets on the tube. very easy to attach and detach. http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/source-accessories/17-magnetic-clip
in progress...

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:47:01 AM »
Burchas ... Thank you and Area 10 for the reality check...what can I say? I went off the rails...70oz, at 4.4 lbs , I don't even know I'm wearing it...two 100 oz at 13.22 lbs, that's another story (as you guys pointed out). I'll set it up with  the second/backup hydration pack on the board. Thanks for the course correction.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:41:17 PM »
Late to the party, I know, and I agree with what has been said.  I do have a HAWG that I've used for day hikes, never on SUP.  And with only one bladder.  It is really a medium day pack, with lots of pockets and it's kind of heavy on it's own.  The main bag is pretty big, so you could fit two bladders.  And lunch.  And other stuff that would be better to put in a dry bag on the board.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 01:29:22 PM »
you get your wave board, burchas?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 04:46:22 PM »
you get your wave board, burchas?

Funny you should ask easy, today I put in  an order for a
ULI Totem. They had a 25% off spring sale.

I was thinking about reaching out to you today,
See what's the surf like on your end.
funny how things work.
in progress...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 08:52:17 AM »
dawn SAT western LI--dawn SUN monmouth county NJ

not clear as to whether it would be right for you--will know more as the wknd approaches

you want small glass conditions first few times out
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal