Author Topic: Bad Knees. Will This help?  (Read 3391 times)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Bad Knees. Will This help?
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
Several people on here report having knee problems.  The reason for these problems vary.
In my case I don't have ankle strength.  So, my knee is doing all the work, when the water gets mixed up.
Would wearing a neoprene knee brace give enough support to make a difference? 
Would a knee brace cause problems some where else?

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bad Knees. Will This help?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
HB, you're probably going to get a ton of different opinions on this, as everyone has a different problem, are different ages, body types, etc. , buy I'll throw in my ten cents.
I've had a lot of experience with braces over the last 33 years, starting with a typical ACL, MCL reconstruction, and now I'm scheduling my sixth surgery on my arthritic mess of a knee, successfully holding the total knee replacement at bay for the time being.
My experience with braces and sleeves is that they are of little help for real pain. The exception being a neoprene sleeve I had once for a kneecap tracking issue. It moved my kneecap slightly and relieved some pain.
For me the only thing that has worked over the last thirty years is consistent bicycling. When I'm riding quite a bit and my leg is strong, my knee is a lot more stable and seems to have less friction and crunching. I've tried injections on numerous occasion too, but the only thing that works consistently is exercise. That being said, the last time I went surfing for a couple days, my knee was swollen for five days afterward. It still hurts but I can keep it going by making sure I turn the pedals consistently. Good luck.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I was trying to be brief.  I think I may have been too brief.
I actually don't have pain.  I do have left foot drop.  I have no ability to lift my toes or my foot.  My knee is then doing a lot more than normal.  On days I don't paddle, I practice Tai Chi and/or  Chi Gong.  Sometimes I practice in the soft sand at the beach.  My legs are strong. 
I don't even feel pain when I'm in the conditions mentioned above.  My left leg just starts shaking and giving out.  Once I'm back in calmer water, I can stand and paddle for at least another 40 minutes without any problem.
I'm looking for knee stabilization.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:37:47 PM by hbsteve »

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
Hi Steve,

I find a knee brace can help a bit with mild knee pain when it flares up. Just the inexpensive compression ones with a little reinforcement on the sides seems to provide a little extra support when the joint is feeling out of whack. It also gives me a little more confidence that I'm not going to exacerbate the problem by putting too much strain on an already weak joint.

Of course I'm not a doctor and am self-diagnosing and treating my knee pain, so don't take this as medical advice!  ;D

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »
Maybe an ankle brace would also help.  In any event, I would see a PT to get some solid guidance on working around your drop foot.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:54:12 PM »
Like Bean said; if the ankle is where the instability lies, maybe that is where the bracing needs to happen. How about wrapping an ace bandage (they do make waterproof versions that work great, and I have used them for stabilizing sprained wrists during SUP surfing and windsurfing) around your ankle. If the ankle is stabilized, then there would be less stress and fatigue at the knee level? You could experiment with this during your Tai Chi practice to see if there is more stability while still allowing movement.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 02:12:39 AM »
  i had foot drop on both feet that lasted for about a year.  to deal with it, i ran a piece of rope through holes i drilled through the toes of wetsuit boots, then looped it around the top of the boots and tied it off.  lifted my feet up.  before that, i couldn't go from kneeling on my board to standing -- couldn't get my feet under my body -- and thought, well, that's it, i'm done.  the contraption helped and even allowed me some mobility. 

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:09:06 AM »
Can you build muscle Linter? I cannot remember what your particular problem is but my short answer is no. (and that and a $1.35 will get you on the T)-Some braces can somewhat successfully give a mechanical edge up like ones that help keep space between your tibial plateau and your femur, another way to put it the braces  help with a bone on bone no meniscus/cartilage situation. Power lifters wrap knees super tight and that can give leverage for for big lifts. Knee sleeves help keep knees warm.

Building a strong ass and hamstrings are probably a better bet if that is possible.
New England Is My Playground

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:16:18 AM »
HB...  I can't stand in the kitchen and cook without my knee brace.
Lots of pain and weakness. My knee feels like it will collapse.

I slip on a simple elastic compression knee brace from CVS ($20) and it is fine.
It is probably my meniscus, but I've never had it looked at.

The brace I wear has no fancy metal hinges or velcro wraps to irritate your leg.

Plus it will only cost you $20 to see if it helps. I hope you find a solution.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 01:37:10 PM »
Can you build muscle Linter?

nope, can't build it, can only lose it, and i've lost most of it.  my calves are just skin bags holding mush. 
   as a last ditch effort, i'm going to try dosing myself with a growth hormone called MK 677.  bodybuilders love it, and though my neurologist had never heard of it, he seems to think it couldn't cause harm.  but what does he know?  not much, i am finding out.
   right now, i'm taking advice from an all-things-druggy site called bluelight.org.  since nobody with a fancy degree seems to know nothing, i figure guys on the front lines of experimentation are as good a source of info etc as any.  we shall see.
   btw / my thing is called chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
Linter--You came with a smart solution up for your needs.
I put my old neoprene brace on and tried to stand one just my left leg.  It seemed to help a little.  I could stand for 15 seconds instead of 10.  So, I paddled with it.  But it is like wearing a sauna around your knee area and it doesn't really have side support.  Tho I did notice some improvement. 
I've worn an ankle brace before.  It helped with mobility and allowed less drop than without.
I decided to try the knee brace suggested by Supthecreek, for the reasons he stated and it has some side stabilization pieces.  I also bought the ankle brace by the same company as it is adjustable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal