Author Topic: SIC Construction (SCC vs. TWC)  (Read 4081 times)

C.I.Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SIC Construction (SCC vs. TWC)
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:23:51 AM »
Looking to purchase a 2015 SIC X14 (not the pro model).  I would consider myself an intermediate paddler at 5'10 and 195lbs.  Trying to decide between the TWC and SCC models.  I am not a racer, but do like to do longer paddles and would prefer not to waste a whole lot of energy.  I know lighter is generally better, but I am also concerned about durability.  Lots of rocky beaches where I live.  There is a used SCC model near me so the price difference would only be $200-$300 dollars.  Any advice?

Thanks for the help.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Construction (SCC vs. TWC)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »
I paddle SIC boards of all models, sizes, and constructions and I am your size. My favorite board is the SCC Bullet v2. I paddle both the SCC X14 and the narrower pro lite. In my opinion, I'd go SCC no question. Significantly lighter = much more responsive to paddle input, not to mention easier to carry around. With moderate attention the SCC should hold up just fine to regular use. Hope that helps.
Bunch of old shit

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:51:48 PM »
I agree, go for the SCC and just be sensible with it. A friend of mine who had a TWC X14 tried my SCC X14 and couldn't believe the difference it made. The SCC X14 is a fast racer/tourer that is rewarding to paddle.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
If you are reasonably careful SCC is pretty hard to fault and is a good weight.  If the price and condition are good - would go for the SCC without a doubt.

Generally for long distances a light board will be easier on your body.  Some however like that paddling heavier boards gives them a tougher workout.  And if you happen to be hard on your gear - then TWC may be better for you. 

Interestingly our dealer did not bring in any TWC Bullet 14s last year as he thought they were simply too heavy.  None of our group of DW paddlers has any TWC.  They are all SCC DCC or GC.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

C.I.Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 05:33:23 AM »
Thanks all.  Picked up a used SCC.  Only been out a couple of times, but so far I love it.  Can't believe how light the board is.  Thanks again for the advice.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 05:51:23 AM »
That's a great board.  I have one.  It has become my wife's board and she loves it.  Very stable and forgiving, but fast in flat conditions.   Love the built in tie downs, smooth pad and handle.  SCC construction is pretty durable.  Get yourself some Rail Saver Pro rail tape made in Barcelona Spain.  Awesome stuff and will truly protect your rails from damage and look great.  Really easy to apply.  Alcohol spray with a couple of drops of soap mixed in.  Enjoy!!

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal