Author Topic: Sunova Skate 8'10"  (Read 14322 times)

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova Skate 8'10"
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
to Sunova folks, what's the intended surfing difference between the Skate and the Schroom?

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »
ha ha ha...... ok... I'll drive down to Maryland and grab wetstuffs Shroom next, but it may be a while, Im still working on the Skate video  ;D ;D ;D

Actually, Wetti and I have discussed just that.... so it will happen at some point before Summer!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 02:39:02 PM »
Creek, what's the story behind the tail of the Skate that you rode today. Is that last years board or is it a custom tail? The website shows a half moon tail on the 2016 Skate.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:44:12 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »
Skate XL. Stock..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 09:15:58 PM »
Ah, the XL.

I didn't know it was shaped different.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »
However there are still great reasons why someone should still opt for a Skate rather then a speeed sometimes.

Informative.

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 11:10:46 PM »
ok.... finalizing the video overnight.
I will upload tomorrow... theres enough to give a limited look at the Skate in action.

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 09:20:55 AM »
I was a bit disappointed with the video that I got.... the cam ran a record 1 hour and 45 minutes.
The tide was dropping and we quickly moved out of the field of view.

The later conditions are what I based my review on, performance wise.
The earlier part of the session let me see how useful the Skate is in marginal conditions... clean, but gutless.

I included some pretty weak clips, but I feel each one of them tells part of a story.... just take what you can get from the footage I captured, it's all I gotz.

PREVIOUS wide tail board I have ever surfed felt like surfing a sheet of plywood.
I couldn't sink a rail with decent results, and cutbacks always ended up with sort of a slide/pivot, but never a carving turn.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Skate XL was a total joy to surf.
It carves sweet little turns and cutbacks, even in waves with zero push.... very fun!

Such a perfect day.... I should have waited an hour to star filming. Hindsight.  :-\

All around fun board.... I hope you can find something useful in this lackluster video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRX_Ukm99E

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »
Thanks Creek for the Skate video!

You make the lines look effortless....beautiful and clean on small waves.....I can only hope that one day I will surf with even half the grace and style! I was out this morning on my Skate at 7am in even smaller waves and having the time of my life.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 01:20:06 PM »
Thanks FRP... the Skate makes it easy.

I am glad you are having the time of your life...it doesn't get any better than that. ;D ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
That was nice Creek'ster...  Like FRP said; Looked effortless.  The whole 'wide tail thing' took on a new level of concern after watching the UK review of the Naish Raptor.  In a nutshell: "Plebs who can't dance - don't buy this."  The takeaway was; you were not about to sink the Raptor's tail standing in a traditional stagger stance.  Yet, I don't think your back foot was moving around much, eh?  I want a wide tail for the same reason I want a fuller nose: easier to maintain my balance. 

I was looking at the way you photograph rocker, I'll photograph my two like that.  Using my one good eye, the Shroom appears to have more nose kick and a bit more tail kick than the XL Skate. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Sunova_Tino

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »
Ok. here below Bert's comments:

Ok. Quote from Bert below:

Hey guys ,

just a little more info on the Skate ..of all the boards in our range apart from the new Shroom , the Skate likes really soft, flat, open waves , with gently spilling lips and rolling whitewater ..

the rocker is the flattest of all models , so once your moving it continues to carry speed by itself , only needing the mildest of waves to propel it along ..

with generous tail area , it has loads of drive off soft sections ..

with the noticeable harder bottom edge ,  the water releases low off the rail , making the board sit high on the water and skate along on top ..

the straighter section of outline through the tail , allows it to go fast and make sections if the wave walls up..its weakness is a power turn in the pocket in more powerful waves , it will have a slow rail to rail transition in a sucky section and tend to drift earlier if over powered ..

hence its favored conditions of soft, rolling, small waves with open faces....

regards
BERT

Thats a reply to the following conversation between one of our shops owner and his customer who just bought am 8'3 Skate

Holy Smokes, 
My new favorite board.  I've had the 8-3 Skate out for the last 3 days,  so much fun. 
This is the board that caught my eye first out of the Sunova Lineup.   
For me with my late in life start and the waves we have in Va Beach I have always felt better and felt like I could get more consistently out of shorter wide tail SUPs.  I bet I have had 5 boards in the sub 8-6 with fat tails,  each a little different, but nothing like the Skate. 

What I like:  thin tail,  light, fairly stable, especially for 114 liters,  paddles easy into the wave,  much faster than I expected,  holds the wall of the wave well,  turns without skidding out and  loosing speed.   I reluctantly passed it over to K. the first day and when he returned I after 20 min he was all smiles and said " I owned this board on that last wave"   
He felt what I did,  Speed and smooth sharp turns without deceleration.  I gotta guess this turning sensation that K. and I are feeling are part of Bert's magic moon tail. I think the Speeed will have its place on certain days, but for what we have here in Va Beach I will be grabbing the Skate first.

And the comment of the Shop Owner here:

We have had a great run of surf lately and C. point has been "the spot to be." So I have "been" (pretty much every morning for weeks)! This morning, too rashed out and sore from surfing yesterday, I took out my standup (a SIC fish, which will soon be replaced by a Sunova ;-)). My son and I paddled out with another father/son combo. that have become great pals, only to find C. paddling out on the Skate! So... below is my feedback:

He's dropping into waves easily on the Skate! The board is coming off of the bottom very quickly, this is also due in part to how C. has learned to come off of the bottom "fully loaded." Seriously, for somebody that didn't grow up surfing, he has the classic 80's bottom turn dialed (and is surfing really well)!!! The board pivots. So normally, I wouldn't state this as a positive (as I enjoy carve and flow) , but given the outline he is able to pivot it and stay in the sweet spot of the wave. He does this without losing too much speed and offering up the annoying SUP "stop and go" that I see so many emulate.

But by far the best thing that I can convey about the board, is how large his smile is when he comes out of the water! So stoked!

Thank you for all boys! We're doing this thing!!!
D.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 07:31:10 PM »
Hi. I thought I would add another bit of feedback on the 8'10" Sunova Skate. I was out at a Tofino beach about 10 days ago. Solid head high waves . I was tracking my ride with a garmin watch and best speed was 31 kph and longest ride 28 seconds over 170 meters. With more surfers using this technology I hope others will start posting some performance stats in addition to photos and videos. Cheers Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal