Author Topic: Sunova Skate 8'10"  (Read 14321 times)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Sunova Skate 8'10"
« on: April 30, 2016, 08:46:03 PM »
I posted this on seabreze and thought that perhaps I should have posted it here. I would like to start by thanking Jim K from Extreme Windsurfing for arranging the importation of this board to Canada. Jim thinks this is one of the first Sunovas on our west coast and definitely the first that I know of here in Tofino. The board arrived in Vancouver unscratched. The packing of this board for transport was excellent. My thanks go out to the Sunova team in Thailand.   I am a novice SUP surfer with about one year of paddling a SUP, 61 year old male 5'9" and 69 kg (about 73 kg with winter wetsuit, boots, gloves and helmet). Ocean background of sea kayaking, surf kayaking, and wind surfing. Started on a 10' 27" wide Laird and a 9' 29" wide Fanatic fly that I could only flat water paddle. Both were too unstable as a beginner in the surf. Spent 8 months learning basic SUP surfing on a Starboard Whopper and two months ago sold the three boards for a 9'5" starboard widepoint. This winter I took two surf SUP lessons from Catherine Bruhwiler of Tofino Paddle Surf that were transformative. Catherine has been the Canadian women's surf champion (short board and long board) many times and is an ambassador for SUP surfing here in Canada.  The 8'10" 2016 Sunova Skate is 141 litres (written on the board), 9 kg (just under 20 lbs) with my luggage scale and 32" wide. It is a beautiful board and the lift handle makes it easy to pickup and carry compared to conventional handles. The fins supplied fit perfectly. <div>Day one. 15-20 knot side offshore wind. Choppy with 2-4 ft beach break. This board is stable. At least as stable as the 9'5" wide point side to side and a bit more stable front to back. Picked up the small waves easily despite the challenging wind and chop.
<div>Day two. 2-4 ft beach break. Small offshore breeze of less than 5 knots. This board is very stable. Able to paddle it through the beach break. The pointy nose slices through the foam piles. Tracks well with 6-8 strokes per side and pivot turns easily. It picked up the small waves with a couple of strokes, no pearling and I can move around on the board getting my back foot back with little effort. It is fast. Down the line it makes this "sizzling" sound that I have only heard before with my carbon kevlar Murky Water surf kayak. It is easier to turn than the 9'5" wide point. As described on the Sunova website, a lot of fun! For me a great board that I will be able to progress on. I can't wait to get out in the surf tomorrow. <div>Day three. 3-5 ft beach break. 15-20 knot mostly offshore wind. Yikes! Had to be in fairly late to be able to pick up a wave leading to a few spectacular "over the falls" type wipeouts. The skilled prone surfers were doing ok but I struggled with the wind. Not with stability but with paddle power at take off. Carrying the board in the wind was made much easier with the lift handle. It was good to get out in challenging conditions. <div>Those are my first impressions. I will try to write another note after a couple of months on the Sunova Skate. <div>Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova Skate 8'10"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 08:58:49 PM »
Thanks for the report, Bob.  Sounds like you got a sweet board.  Keep us posted with further impressions. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:27:07 AM »
Nice report. Sounds like a fun ride.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:50 AM »
FRP....we're in the same 'hood.  I'll keep an eye open for you (ie a Sunova Skate) out on the water.  My buddy rides a 9'2 Speeed, so if you see another Sunova in the water, it might be us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5sKzDsfFU0
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:36:23 AM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »
FRP....we're in the same 'hood.  I'll keep an eye open for you (ie a Sunova Skate) out on the water.  My buddy rides a 9'2 Speeed, so if you see another Sunova in the water, it might be us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5sKzDsfFU0

I want one. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mosh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »
Hey Bob,

Funny enough I just placed my order for a 9'6 Flow with Jim today and he mentioned your name, stating mine was only the second Sunova board he's shipped to Canada.

Glad to hear it arrived safely, as mine ships next Monday, enroute to Vancouver as well.  I'll keep an eye out for you on my next trip to Tofino.  We can swap boards and have our own demo day  :)

Jason
8'10 Sunova Flow
9' Sunova Flash
10'3 PSH AA
10'6 PSH WAA

46 years old, 225lbs

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
Thanks Surfafrica. Great video. Yes I will keep an eye out for you and your friend on the Sunova Speed. As well it looks like Mosh is getting a Sunova Flow that we will see soon out in the surf. Fantastic! I usually get out on either North or South Chesterman Beach early in the morning around 8am to avoid the prone surfers and the wind. I tow my board to the beach behind my Big Orange Bike. You can't miss it.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 09:57:06 AM »
Trying to understand the different board descriptions.

Skate:  our most popular board it says.  Well, only one user, a beginner, describes one on the Zone?  Why not more?

Skate, for poor waves?  What is a poor wave?  Why the Skate?  Does it have less rocker?
For example, in mushy waves when trying to catch a ripple, can one catch it earlier than other boards?  Which boards?
It catches waves more easily, so, why?  More glide?  More speed under paddle power?  Tail shape?  More waves than the Speed or the Flow?
Fast on the wave, then is it faster than the Speed?
Turns well, but not as well as which models?
Stable, compared to what?
Better as a windsup than other shapes for wave riding?  If not, which is the best?

Any help with all of this much appreciated.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
You have to take the board descriptions on the website with a grain of salt. There is a lot of exaggeration in the writing and the claims on some boards are not even true. A few of the sentences are just ridiculous. It's written that way to sell boards, but isn't very helpful when doing research. I don't know why they don't improve the website. It's just going to give buyers high expectations, but could cause some disappointment in the end. It can't be good for sales in the long run.

I did a ton of research before buying my two Flows and I absolutely love them, but the website was not helpful at all, except for getting the dimensions and looking at the shape outlines.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:51:48 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Sunova_Tino

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »
Hey Billekrub,

Thought I jumped in here to defend ourselves. Just kidding...

I have to actually agree with you... haha. Thus... FIRST.. apologies for a bit too much bullshit and a definitely not perfect web page. Go back and read it again and it sounds waaaaaay better now (at least on the skate). ;D . In fact won't you post more improvement suggestions and we'll improve that as well. As i always like to point out we was a few guys over here doing everything from making boards in our own factory in ways other factories cannot, we market and brand design and produce everything ourselves and we do it absolutely organically and grow it very conservatively. Fortunately for us you guys out there are in fact doing a lot of our work. Almost to the point where we were concentrating even more on making better boards rather than typing too much stuff. This forum and seabreeze has collected such a wealth of information that in fact we are super proud of. And possibly different from other brands are ATM.

About the Skate:
The skate was really maybe THE first model we released and it was absolutely our most successful model by far. It has since then been obviously completely been "demolished" by the speeed which in fact carries a lot of the Skates characteristics and more. However there are still great reasons why someone should still opt for a Skate rather then a speeed sometimes.

Thanx Guys,
Tino

Trying to understand the different board descriptions.

Skate:  our most popular board it says.  Well, only one user, a beginner, describes one on the Zone?  Why not more?

Skate, for poor waves?  What is a poor wave?  Why the Skate?  Does it have less rocker?
For example, in mushy waves when trying to catch a ripple, can one catch it earlier than other boards?  Which boards?
It catches waves more easily, so, why?  More glide?  More speed under paddle power?  Tail shape?  More waves than the Speed or the Flow?
Fast on the wave, then is it faster than the Speed?
Turns well, but not as well as which models?
Stable, compared to what?
Better as a windsup than other shapes for wave riding?  If not, which is the best?

Any help with all of this much appreciated.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 02:39:26 AM »
Hi Billek

I am meeting a guy at the beach, in an hour who owns an 8'8 Skate.
I have seen a few Skates in person, but never had a chance to ride one.... today that will change :)
I own an 8'10 Speeed as well as a 9'4 Acid.

I am stoked to ride the Skate so I will know how it differs from other shapes..... if I get to ride it today, I will report back!
its small and glassy.... 1-2' with zero wind.

Meanwhile.... the Skate is a wide tail board with a full nose and a fairly flat rocker, so it will be a good mix of stable, and surfable in less than perfect conditions. It seems like a perfect board for many locations that serve up choppy, smallish waves, where stability and easy speed on mushy waves is a real appeal.

Today, I will get spoiled by clean, well shaped waves, so I will see how it performs relative to other shapes.
Warning.... I am not usually a fan of wide tail boards..... so this should be interesting. Bert has a way of working around different shapes and coming up with some really surfable boards.

Gotta go.... pure glass, little waves and a beautiful sunrise are being served!

Video will be taken!

Our cam, just now:

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 03:46:21 AM »
+1 for Tino for owning it!   

Creek: Can't wait for your review!!!!!  Hope it's accompanied with some video!!!!!!!!  My kinda day....wish I was there!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 06:35:09 AM »
Thanks, Tino and STCreek for responses and ditto on any test report!!

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »
Ok.... quicky, cuz I want to upload my video to my Mac, and see if I had the cam aimed in the right direction  ::)

1st off..... mark was awesome, he let me stay on his 8'8 Skate for hours. Longer that the 32 Gig SD card lasted!

Waves were perfect. Clean, well shaped and waist high.
Tide was a bit high when we went out, so good waves were hard to come by.

We went out at 6:15 am and surfed till 10:30.... whew, what a blast... it just got better and better.
The wind died and it turned into pure glass..... with 4 or 5 people out, the entire time, some of them were cute, friendly women.
Does it get any frickin' better?

Ok ok.... here's my take. Short version.

I have ridden a bunch of Simmons type boards and hated them all.... you know, wide nose and tail, flattish rocker.
They all felt like I was surfing a sheet of plywood. Couldn't figure out how to carve a turn on them.

I trust Bert, but I had serious reservations about the Skate.
Not any more :)

My 1st wave on the Skate ended that prejudice with easy carving, great speed and fun to pump down the line.
Cutbacks were solid and fun, something I have struggled with on previous wide tail boards.

The Skate was more stable than my 9'4 Acid or the 8'10 Speeed I rode yesterday.

It paddles ok, fairly straight, but not real fast,
I sink the nose of my Acid all the time, when I am paddling hard.... the Skate nose has more meat in it and stays above water pretty well when I put my weight into my paddle and dig for a wave. The Skate nose is flatish compared to the Acid or Speeed, so it needs that float up there to keep me from sinking it, The Speeed and the Acid have enough kick to correct me when I drive too hard.

I really had fun on the Skate. I surfed it for 2 hours and got a solid feel for what it could do.
I am impressed.... Bert made this shape work.
It carves nicely, works the face of the wave really well.
It is smooth and effortless to surf and relaxing to stand on.

After 3 hours mark and I swapped back, so I could feel the Acid in the same waves and get a good reference for the performance of both.
The Acid paddles faster into the waves, and overall, moves through the water easier.
The performance shape of the Acid was immediately very noticeable, the tail dug in deeper and the snap out of the turns was much crisper, as you would expect from a high performance shape. I love my Acid (video almost done)... but I could definitely add a Skate to my quiver.... which is something the I would never have guessed.

I could do a much longer session on the Skate and it would be much more relaxing in choppy conditions.

This is a great board for people that need some comfort and wish to ride a shorter board..... or folks that surf challenging conditions and still want solid performance.

I really hope that the video cam was aimed correctly... the tide was full and dropping, so line-ups shift...... nervous  ???
The video will take hours to upload then finalize once I make a movie... hopefully tonight, but it may take till tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the conditions and side by side comps of the 8'8 Skate (133.5 L) - vs - the 9'4 Acid (136 L)  just to get an idea how wide the Skate nose and tail are over a performance shape.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 11:48:54 AM »
Thanks Creek for the review of the Skate. I was waiting with a a bit of apprehension wondering what an experienced surfer was going to post about this board. Good to hear your positive comments and look forward to the video.

Cheers

Bob

"An hour surfing is an hour that is added to your life"
Anonymous
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal