Author Topic: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil  (Read 115597 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil
« Reply #270 on: June 20, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »
I'm building out an 8'5" Hammer...can't wait to get it foiling...
I know for a fact that the Hammer is a great SUP & windSUP...fast rocker...planes up quickly...maneuverable...etc...should be a great windfoil board...and, SUP foil board in the waves as well...ultimate one design...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:24 AM »
Warren, that is gonna be fun fun fun!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2016, 03:17:39 PM »
Warren,
Be carefull with the box position!
The Horue is designed for a rear position like in a windsurfer.
For a position like in the Naish/Starboard SUPs or in kiteboards AFAIK the only foils with bigger wings than kitefoils are the Mantafoil (kite mast/ fuselage  + windfoil wing) or the GoFoil.
Or AHD AFS but that uses a special box and is pricey.
The Horue in a forward box position places the foil too far forward.

I use a Mantafoil in my custom Windsup.
http://www.windsurfing33.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=98230&start=15

Alex

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2016, 08:03:32 AM »
Aloha Alex,
The board I am currently building is similar length to the sailboard that I am foiling on...and, I have ridden it as a SUP...and, know my foot placement...
Your foil position is more forward of mine...and, there are a few other builders with more forward locations...is yours too far forward?

BTW, I looked at the Manta foils and conversed with those guys...but, opted for lighter weight carbon...

The mast angle and foil type, definitely is part of the equation...for safety reasons alone, I don't like it as far aft as it is on the sailboard I am using to windfoil...
I have kicked it several times waterstarting...even though, I am trying to be careful...

I have also studied most of what is on the www, and, came to the conclusion to locate the box where I have...this will allow me to place my rear foot behind the mast if I want, while I am SUP foiling...similar to what the AHD foil board is, and what many kitefoilers do...but, also use the board for SUP and windSUP when I plug the deep Tuttle cavity and use the US box option...

Lastly, as this board is a proto, it won't be that big of a deal to R/R...reconfigure...the boxes if I have to...but, I don't think I will...plus, I am working on a windFoil with somebody who makes kitefoils...so, I will need to test the lift and stability...etc...in this position as well...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 24, 2016, 08:06:04 AM »
Hi Warren,
my box position is fine, but i use a kitefoil mast/fuselage and only the large wing of the Mantafoil windfoil.

The original Mantafoil windfoil has a forward inclined mast, like all the other windfoils designed for the rear standard box position like Horue, Loke, Ketos or Kerfoil.
These foils often also use a more rearward connectionpoint of mast to fuselage to get the foil more forward under the board.

Kerfoil did some tests with there foil in forward positioned boxes (see Quatro SUP and AHD SL in video sec 0:25 - 0:35) and i was told by them it wasn't working very well.

Alex

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:07:47 AM by AlexFun »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 24, 2016, 10:44:28 AM »
Hi Warren,
my box position is fine, but i use a kitefoil mast/fuselage and only the large wing of the Mantafoil windfoil.

The original Mantafoil windfoil has a forward inclined mast, like all the other windfoils designed for the rear standard box position like Horue, Loke, Ketos or Kerfoil.
These foils often also use a more rearward connectionpoint of mast to fuselage to get the foil more forward under the board.

Kerfoil did some tests with there foil in forward positioned boxes (see Quatro SUP and AHD SL in video sec 0:25 - 0:35) and i was told by them it wasn't working very well.

Alex

Alex, is that you on the board in the videos splash image? (white board, black rails, orange sail) Seems kinda sketchy to ride with your front foot strapped in and no back strap. What's your thinking behind that?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 24, 2016, 02:22:09 PM »
No, my  board is the  last one on the pics Warren posted.
I have no vids or pics of myself riding yet, wind was either too strong or too light since my first 4 days of trying the foil.
Only on my last day i used my rear strap and i think riding without backstrap is not sketchy at all since the ride is so smooth when flying on the foil. But i think it's easier having the backfoot straped for balance and pitch control.
Also being in the harness feels better for me for balancing the sail and releasing your arms for fine tuning your trim. But i use 30" harness lines then, tightly mounted, that is giving me the freedom to open up the sail widely. Shorter lines, broader mounted, may be be another story.
On days like these i don't need a foil:
http://www.dailydose.de/fotos/2236.htm?pg=2&li=20

Alex

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: June 24, 2016, 06:55:07 PM »
Onward and upward...deep Tuttle box is set...getting ready to start laying some carbon on this puppy...
This new Hammer foil board will not have footstraps...never needed them for my Hammer windSUP...I'm with DW on that one...but, will have lay flat carry straps on the deck...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2016, 10:11:50 AM »
The Hammer foil board has carbon on it now...

Zane was doing a lot better than in this vid clip than the last SUP foil surfing vid clip with Connor...

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FGofoils%2Fvideos%2F489906454544973%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

The mast looks pretty big and it's positioned forward with Zane riding with his back foot right on top of it...he got some good turns...
Looking forward to giving it a go in mushy rolling waves...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 26, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
Damn, those are pretty. I love the look of carbon before it's hotcoated. Were those bagged or do you just have a really good glasser.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Latest Foil Video, Zane and Friends
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
EMBEDDING NOT PERMITTED via the author, I know.

Just give it a click:

It looks like there's no way to bleed speed.  Zane gets way out in front of the wave.

Uploaded yesterday.
Hopefully not a repost here on the Zone.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:23:49 PM by Cardiff Sweeper »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »
I think the little grom figure it out better than the others. He instinctively slowed himself down so the board set onto the water to make a turn then right back to foiling. Those little developing brains figure that shit out quick. Who needs a point break....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:54:09 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal in surf with these foils? The downwind videos look super fun and I can understand the benefits there but every video I've seen of these foil SUPs surfing hasn't been that appealing to me, just a whole lot of pumping and not much else. I understand that you can ride unbroken waves or make marginal surf more fun but you can do that by surfing a raceboard or a longboard SUP too. Are there additional benefits to the surf side that I'm missing?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 27, 2016, 01:22:45 PM »
looks like zane is already on a lot shorter mast than what they were originally using.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal in surf with these foils? The downwind videos look super fun and I can understand the benefits there but every video I've seen of these foil SUPs surfing hasn't been that appealing to me, just a whole lot of pumping and not much else. I understand that you can ride unbroken waves or make marginal surf more fun but you can do that by surfing a raceboard or a longboard SUP too. Are there additional benefits to the surf side that I'm missing?

it doesn't feel much different to normal surfing its just that its almost silent and you have a lot more glide, its just another way to ride the waves.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard